FLAM RAILWAY

We just booked our first cruise with MSC on the MSC EURIBIA for 4/27/24- 5/4/24.  The itinerary is at the bottom.    A couple of people have recommended the Flam Railway as a must do.  Would you recommend the  2 1/2 hour excursion  (SCENIC FLAM RAILWAY)  or the 6 hour excursion (AMAZING NATURE VIEWS ON THE FAMOUS FLAM RAILWAY) and why?  Thank you so much for your feedback.  

AMAZING NATURE VIEWS ON THE FAMOUS FLAM RAILWAY - 6 HOURS

Once you are ready for the steep roads and mountain tunnels of this region, you can sit back and enjoy the ride through spectacular countryside. Leaving the port of Flåm, we will traverse a long tunnel that takes us to Gudvangen, and the coach will climb through the steep, narrow Nærøy valley. We will stop at the Tvindefossen waterfalls, a twin cascade of two fabulous falls. The excursion continues to the town of Voss, prettily located on the Vangvatnet Lake. We will board a train to continue our outing across a range of stunning natural landscapes, before reaching Myrdal. Here, at 867 metres above sea level, we will change trains and continue down the breathtaking Flåm valley, travelling on the world famous Flåm Line. The train will pass by Kjosfossen waterfall to allow passengers enjoy the lovely view before terminating at Flåm station, on the Sognefjord, from where we can walk back to the ship. Lunch included.

SCENIC FLAM RAILWAY - 2 1/2 HOURS

Take a trip on one of the most interesting railways in the world and be rewarded with some of the most stunning scenery in Norway. The Flåm Railway is a remarkable piece of engineering which provides wonderful vistas of the mountains and waterfalls that characterise this beautiful part of Norway. Boarding the train at Flåm Station, you'll travel along the Flåm River, which is one of the best salmon rivers in the west country, to Myrdal Station at an altitude of 2.845 feet (861 m) above sea level. Admire the fabulous scenery passing by along the 12.5 miles (21 km) track, including the sheer drop of the Rjoande Waterfall and the impressive peak of Vibmesnosi Mountain. In order to climb the 985 feet (300 m) Myrdalsberg, the railroad is built on 4 levels. As your train stands on the 4th level, you can see all of the other 3 levels. To ensure the best possible views the train will slow down at the finest sections, so you have time to capture the dramatic scenery. There will be a brief stop at Kjosfossen Waterfall to photograph the spectacular 305-feet (93 m) cascading waterfall. At Myrdal, the train turns around and returns to Flåm.

image.thumb.png.6c74bce38cabd7eca221e46570f97567.png

The 6 hour tour gives you a wonderful overview of the entire area; the shorter trip is just up the mountain and down….if you have the time, I’d definitely do the longer tour which includes the Flam RR, but much more.

I would also opt for the longer excursion.  If you only did the shorter one, that leaves you multiple hours with not much to do except explore the small town of Flam (unless you arranged something else).  I'd prefer to be busy all day.  I'm pretty certain the longer tour is the one that I took when I was in Flam several years ago.  I enjoyed it.

16 hours ago, janetcbl said:

The 6 hour tour gives you a wonderful overview of the entire area; the shorter trip is just up the mountain and down….if you have the time, I’d definitely do the longer tour which includes the Flam RR, but much more.

Thank you so much.  I booked the longer tour.  Is this a nice tour for Hellesylt?  It’s 2.5 Hours.  Someone on another post said we need to see GEIRANGER FJORD.  

SCENIC CRUISE TO GEIRANGERFJORD

On the scenic cruise from Hellesylt, you will discover the scenery of Geirangerfjord and understand why this part of Norway has attracted travelers for over a century. The fjord is like a blue ribbon carved into a mountainous landscape, providing visitors with access to a remote corner of Norway. Geirangerfjord has been added to the UNESCO's World Heritage List due to the breathtaking scenery and has been described as "the world's most beautiful fjord". Take this opportunity to get closer to the fjord by leisurely gliding through the dramatic landscape and feel the presence of the towering mountains surrounding you. As you cruise through Geirangerfjord a guide will tell stories about the people who defied the up to 1500-metre tall mountains to make a living on the steep mountainsides and the small farmsteads clinging to rocky ledges. The tour will pass at the Seven Sisters Waterfall where water pummels from a 300m steep cliffside down to the fjord below before returning you safely back to the pier.

5 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I would also opt for the longer excursion.  If you only did the shorter one, that leaves you multiple hours with not much to do except explore the small town of Flam (unless you arranged something else).  I'd prefer to be busy all day.  I'm pretty certain the longer tour is the one that I took when I was in Flam several years ago.  I enjoyed it.

Thank you!  I booked the longer tour.  I’m going through each port and trying to pick an interesting excursion.  

2 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you so much.  I booked the longer tour.  Is this a nice tour for Hellesylt?  It’s 2.5 Hours.  Someone on another post said we need to see GEIRANGER FJORD.  

SCENIC CRUISE TO GEIRANGERFJORD

If you are only cruising to Hellesylt, and not to Geiranger itself, yes I would recommend a cruise along the rest of the fjord. It’s quite stunning.

1 hour ago, kaisatsu said:

If you are only cruising to Hellesylt, and not to Geiranger itself, yes I would recommend a cruise along the rest of the fjord. It’s quite stunning.

I'm not sure if this was the best itinerary.  I booked it without a lot of research because it was a great deal. Based on the itinerary we will not cruise by Geiranger so I booked it as an excursion.  I think this cruise will give me a flavor of the area but I may need to book another cruise to really go to all the wonderful ports.  

image.thumb.png.91b86d90d6862cd8cc3b7021f1ddd2e2.png

3 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

I'm not sure if this was the best itinerary.  I booked it without a lot of research because it was a great deal. Based on the itinerary we will not cruise by Geiranger so I booked it as an excursion.  I think this cruise will give me a flavor of the area but I may need to book another cruise to really go to all the wonderful ports.  

image.thumb.png.91b86d90d6862cd8cc3b7021f1ddd2e2.png

Norway is banning most ships to Flam and Geiranger, so I'd honestly say if you got a good deal on this then you did great!  I chose my norway cruise deliberately for only two ports - Flam and Geiranger, and Olden wound up being an unexpected highlight (the loen skylift opened 3 days before we arrived, but I didn't know about it at the time of booking). 

The only thing I'd recommend is to ask Hallasm their opinion on whether there are tours from  Hellesylt that can also get you to see the Geiranger viewpoints from both land and sea (if I am reading your tour description correctly, I think the tour you are considering includes the Geiranger sail in which is also wonderful but not the amazing viewpoints by land).  It seems like it might be possible if you have a long port in Hellasylt, and on a clear day those views are spectacular (but unfortunately you'd need to book that tour before you could know if the day would be clear). 

Oh, and I'd also recommend considering Stegastein before or after the flam railway if you have time.   

19 hours ago, hallasm said:

@janetcblhave answered your questions.
If you choose the short tour only by rail, I would suggest that you compare the price at Norways Best - exactly the same tour. The railway must be pre-booked - Will be sold out at the day.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, hallasm said:

@janetcblhave answered your questions.
If you choose the short tour only by rail, I would suggest that you compare the price at Norways Best - exactly the same tour. The railway must be pre-booked - Will be sold out at the day.

Thank you.  We booked the longer tour for the Flam Railway.

For  Hellesylt we’re trying to decide which excursion is best.   @Kitkat343 suggested we ask you if there are excursions in Geiranger with viewpoints from both land and sea?  

Below are 2 of the excursions that we were looking at offered by the cruise line.   Do you recommend either one of these?  Or is there another excursion that I should look at?  

SCENIC CRUISE TO GEIRANGERFJORD (2 1/2 Hours). 

On the scenic cruise from Hellesylt, you will discover the scenery of Geirangerfjord and understand why this part of Norway has attracted travelers for over a century. The fjord is like a blue ribbon carved into a mountainous landscape, providing visitors with access to a remote corner of Norway. Geirangerfjord has been added to the UNESCO's World Heritage List due to the breathtaking scenery and has been described as "the world's most beautiful fjord". Take this opportunity to get closer to the fjord by leisurely gliding through the dramatic landscape and feel the presence of the towering mountains surrounding you. As you cruise through Geirangerfjord a guide will tell stories about the people who defied the up to 1500-metre tall mountains to make a living on the steep mountainsides and the small farmsteads clinging to rocky ledges. The tour will pass at the Seven Sisters Waterfall where water pummels from a 300m steep cliffside down to the fjord below before returning you safely back to the pier.

STRYN AND LOEN SKYLIFT (6 1/2 Hours) 

Hellesylt is a small but important village at the head of the Synnulvsfjord, a branch of the mighty Storfjord, and the starting point of this half-day tour. The scenic drive will allow you to almost immediately see the beautiful Hellesylt waterfall on the way up to Europe's deepest lake, Hornindalsvannet, with tranquil and crystal-clear water 514 metres deep. Passing through the village of Stryn, you will reach the lovely Stryn lake, known for its delightful turquoise colour. Your destination is at Oppstryn and the Jostedal Glacier National Park Centre to admire the interesting exhibits beneath and on the glacier. The centre's garden contains botanical specimens of wild fauna and medicinal herbs from this harsh environment as well as a unique collection of stones. After the visit, the tour continues to the Skylift in Loen to ride on the brand-new cable car taking you up to mount Hoven 1011 metres above the sea - around 200 metres above the tree line in this part of Norway. Enjoy the spectacular views of the fjord and villages below as well as the surrounding mountain scenery. During your stay at Hoven, you have the possibility to enjoy a short walk to soak up the scenery around and have a break at the restaurant for a delicious lunch. The return to Hellesylt is via the same road with a photo stop to admire the old stone bridge built in 1792.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Norway is banning most ships to Flam and Geiranger, so I'd honestly say if you got a good deal on this then you did great!  

Correction. Only old ships are banned in The UNESCO Heritage Fjords today. 
'Zero emission zones' in the fjords to Flåm and Geiranger will be introduced in 2026 and with an expected exemption for Bio-LNG propulsion ships until 2030.

MSC EURIBIA is a brand new LNG powered ship and is not banned from sailing to Geiranger. Could be because there are too many ships already in Geiranger.

4 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Below are 2 of the excursions that we were looking at offered by the cruise line.   Do you recommend either one of these?  Or is there another excursion that I should look at?

The problem in Hellesylt is possibilities for excursions. There is a ferry from Hellesylt to Geiranger which is an option.

I have no experience with private excursions from Hellesylt - here are a few links https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/destinations-in-norway/hellesylt/ https://www.westnorwaytravel.com/destinations/hellesylt

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hallasm said:

'Zero emission zones' in the fjords to Flåm and Geiranger will be introduced in 2026 and with an expected exemption for Bio-LNG propulsion ships until 2030.

MSC EURIBIA is a brand new LNG powered ship and is not banned from sailing to Geiranger. Could be because there are too many ships already in Geiranger.

The problem in Hellesylt is possibilities for excursions. There is a ferry from Hellesylt to Geiranger which is an option.

I have no experience with private excursions from Hellesylt - here are a few links https://www.norwayexcursions.com/en/destinations-in-norway/hellesylt/ https://www.westnorwaytravel.com/destinations/hellesylt

Sorry - meant to say they will be banning most ships in the future.  Will the zero emission zone regulations also apply to Hellesylt next year?

Edited by kitkat343

40 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Will the zero emission zone regulations also apply to Hellesylt next year?

The Zero Emission Zone is only Geiranger fjord from 2026 - it will still be possible for diesel-powered cruise ships to sail to Hellesylt.

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

Thank you!

9 hours ago, hallasm said:

The Zero Emission Zone is only Geiranger fjord from 2026 - it will still be possible for diesel-powered cruise ships to sail to Hellesylt.

Thank you so much for letting me know.  This would be a very long day, but this tour from Hellesylt would visit everything in the area (Dalsnibba, Briksdal, Loen skylift). https://www.toursbylocals.com/geiranger-briksdal-olden-loen  .   You'd miss the spectacular sail in to Geiranger though.  Please note that all the views are very weather dependent and this tour includes a lot of travel that would be totally worth it on a clear day, but not so much if it is cloudy.  And unfortunately you'd have to book it in advance.  Please also note that the Briksdal Glacier has been hit hard by global warming, and as long as you know that in advance you will enjoy the beautiful ride there and hike to the glacier.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 2:36 PM, taylortime05 said:

Thank you!  I booked the longer tour.  I’m going through each port and trying to pick an interesting excursion.  

Is the longer tour thru the ship or independent?  If independent could you advise tour company. Many thanks