Live from the NCL Sun June 30-July 10, Summer time viewing of whales, bears and eagles!

11 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@shadowmeboy are you going to treat us to a trip report on this cruise?

10 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Has Susan finished her teaching for the year? We go right up to June 30.

Yes, of course! 

Yes, she is done. She is doing Summer School up until we leave.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Yes, I’m on the Spirit for the first time from July 5-19 as a back to back from Vancouver->Seward->Vancouver.  Then home for one night and fly to Iceland for a B2B for 23 nights. This is my summer of NCL.  Is it too soon for me to start trip reports???

I am hyperventilating a bit thinking about only being home for one night before going off again. But, it will work! We did Iceland and Norway last summer, and it is spectacular! You will love it. And 23 days is such a wonderful long cruise. We did a B2B of 27 days last year, and I felt like I was leaving family by the end of it. Such fun.

2022 was our year of catching up on travel from all the pandemic postponements.

Oh, did I hijack another thread? Sorry. Looking forward to hearing about the cruise on Sun. We have a friend that has never cruised, and we think Alaska could be a good introduction.

Edited by ellenw
  • Like 2

The countdown is on!  6 days till cruise departure, 5 days till we leave home!

First trip I can think of that we get to the one week mark and I HAVEN’T STARTED PACKING YET!

Today will be the day, though hubby will be gone most of the day golfing, and I scheduled a hair appointment for this afternoon —got to look good for all those vacation photos 😉 lol!   

Some preparation shopping has occurred, in addition to three different types of gravol and two types of ginger medicine, I’ve gotten some mosquito stickers— have any of you used these?  Not sure if there will be any but I know when we go to northern BC there are black flies and biting things so want to be prepared….

6C45DF70-22BF-46C0-A74E-861352844FE3.thumb.jpeg.fe7529834ae82a80ed43ae79be42d719.jpeg

Also, with three sea days (counting the glacier viewing? And potentially poor internet, plus a smaller ship with less activities, I debated what I will do to fill that time.  Downloaded some ebooks to my phone, booked the behind the scenes tour (though it was expensive at $121CAD per person) and plan to book a couple of wine tastings if they are offered.  Maybe a whiskey experience if available….it’s been a challenge to get the dailies for the latest sun cruises so will have to play it by ear.  

Also picked up a couple of these cute painting books, there is a paintbrush attached in the back page and the paint chips are embedded on each sheet so this could help me while away some time and doesn’t require packing a full box of art supplies…

6FC7103A-CDDE-4FF8-A300-0CFBD9D6CD8E.thumb.jpeg.f378920501374f909b9c5dbb25179f0e.jpeg

• Like 2

It’s a bit overwhelming trying to deal with all the stuff we’ve been piling up in the spare room for this trip.   Our last 6 trips or so we travelled with carry on only and so that really helped to keep things in check.

my fat cat is not happy about what is happening…/

6A5AF0D5-2F32-41D3-9F1F-85740A9CC522.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Forecast for our trip looks like a lot of rain.  Now to determine which garments need gortex treatment and which just get scotch guard… and of course looks like I am out of one of the Nikwax gortex treatments, and scotch guard bottle feels very light.  Wish I had not left this till last minute!  let’s see if I can get some by overnight delivery!

4C711D8E-5934-4A4A-BA99-F99661D0EFEF.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shadowmeboy said:

We are working on our tip bags for the cruise!

71498F86-8721-47C1-B19D-A51684FAE9CC.jpeg

That is awesome!  It looks like you make many!  Do you hand out last day to Stewart and favorite staff?   What all are you stuffing in there?   I’m guessing you aren’t bringing carry on only either 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happycrafter123 said:

That is awesome!  It looks like you make many!  Do you hand out last day to Stewart and favorite staff?   What all are you stuffing in there?   I’m guessing you aren’t bringing carry on only either 😉

I have too much camera crap to go carry on only.

We actually give them to wait staff at each meal, plus our room steward. We carry a few extra in case we run into a superstar! We made close to 30.

We put candy, some mints, and a small tip in them. The picture is the contents beforehand.

C4B4980F-8FC4-49E8-93F9-7D5B871213FA.jpeg

• Like 4

@shadowmeboywhat type of camera (s) do you bring?   
i mainly use my iPhone but debating on a go pro and dusted off my old Sony cybershot —it’s a pain to get the photos off of it and in to my phone/Facebook but has a 30x zoom and takes nice photos.  The go pro seem easy to use and magical downloads but has no zoom.- I haven’t ever taken the time to learn how to use a “real” camera lol! 

Edited by Happycrafter123

10 minutes ago, Happycrafter123 said:

@shadowmeboywhat type of camera (s) do you bring?   
i mainly use my iPhone but debating on a go pro and dusted off my old Sony cybershot —it’s a pain to get the photos off of it and in to my phone/Facebook but has a 30x zoom and takes nice photos.  The go pro seem easy to use and magical downloads but has no zoom.- I haven’t ever taken the time to learn how to use a “real” camera lol! 

I addition to the thousands of stills we Vlog our trips for our YouTube channel. I use a Canon EOS 90D, GoPro 9, GoPro 7, and a Canon G7x. Plus you have batteries, cords, mounts, etc. Tripods as well! Plus, I have my trusty iPhone. To empty SD cards you need the laptop and external hard drive!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

@Happycrafter123 and @shadowmeboy (and everyone else on this cruise!) I hope you have an amazing cruise to Alaska. I will wave at you from the Spirit if our paths cross.

@shadowmeboy are Trace and Maria on this cruise with you? I always enjoy Trace’s middle finger photos.

Thank you

No, @tgloersen (Trace) and Maria is sailing on the NCL Joy on 7/1 from NYC

Our road trip begins!  Wound up with two big checked bags and 2 carry on each… hmm might have overpacked lol!  Cats were pitiful and hiding in a heap today.  Can you find the cat lol!

5DCE2D0C-279B-47DE-9580-552B352CCF68.thumb.jpeg.6de597cd7795a3d582e656239888296a.jpeg

Maps tells me it will be 2 hrs and 38 min to the hotel in Seattle, we’ll see what the actual # is!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well maps underestimated the time it would take - wound up being about 4 1/2 hours but it took a solid half hour at customs over the border, 20 minutes for KFC dinner break and then circling around the one way streets in Seattle round and round for a while before finding hotel (and entrance to parking garage)

view from hotel is great, Seattle really is a gorgeous city.

14244E59-4816-4A9D-A9A9-BF4512A2BDA6.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happycrafter123 said:

Well maps underestimated the time it would take - wound up being about 4 1/2 hours but it took a solid half hour at customs over the border, 20 minutes for KFC dinner break and then circling around the one way streets in Seattle round and round for a while before finding hotel (and entrance to parking garage)

view from hotel is great, Seattle really is a gorgeous city.

14244E59-4816-4A9D-A9A9-BF4512A2BDA6.jpeg

Yes, but you are here in the area! That is better than some of our fellow travelers who are having flight troubles getting here.

• Like 1

Have a wonderful cruise.  Beautiful day according to the Space Needle webcam, even "The Mountain" is out this morning.

You will see the Space Needle in Her glory as you sail out this afternoon.  She was built for the 1962 Seattle World's Fair.  Her Observation Lounge (at the top) gives new meaning " On a clear day, you can see forever".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1