BBKing Allstars

Liskap

I just came back from a cruise with the Rotterdam and I was blown away by the band in the bluesclub. They said in the last set that this was their last evening at the end of four months at the Rotterdam. I would really like to hear them again. Does any-one know if they will return in this formation at the Rotterdam or another ship? Do the various all-stars-bands mostly stay in the same formation or do they 'mix and match' for all the bluesclubs at HAL? Do they also play in this formation on land?

Does anyone know the names of the musicians the past four months at the Rotterdam? I was particularly impressed by the trombone/trumpet-player and the mail vocalist.

The odds of seeing the same formation is very low, if not 0.  They do "mix and match" for the blues clubs on HAL.  We usually see one or two familiar faces each cruise, but have never seen the same formation twice and we go to BB King every cruise that has it.

• Like 1

Thanx!

Now I hope that somebody knows the names of the singer and the trombone/trumpet-player. Hopefully than I can find out when and where they will perform in the future 🙂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Liskap said:

Thanx!

Now I hope that somebody knows the names of the singer and the trombone/trumpet-player. Hopefully than I can find out when and where they will perform in the future 🙂

Did you get photos of them?  I'm wondering if I've seen them on other ships...(still can't help with names, sorry!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

One of the best trumpet players I have seen (heard?) with BBKing bands is Dedrick Davis.

I have seen him with at least 5 different bands on different ships.  Top notch.

A-3053503-1620600485-1107.jpg

That's a great photo!  (I have nothing else to add to the thread, but I had to comment on your picture. It's got a super 70s vibe.)

Edited by POA1
Typo

8 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I wish I could take the compliment, but in reality I just downloaded it! 😉

https://www.discogs.com/artist/3053503-Dedrick-Davis

Thank you for telling me that it's not your photo. I still appreciate it. So let me rephrase:

@VMax1700, what a wonderful photo you chose! You really have an eye for choosing pix!

4 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thank you for telling me that it's not your photo. I still appreciate it. So let me rephrase:

@VMax1700, what a wonderful photo you chose! You really have an eye for choosing pix!

Thank you sir.  I enjoy good photos nearly as much as I enjoy good music, conversation and wine! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Did you get photos of them?  I'm wondering if I've seen them on other ships...(still can't help with names, sorry!)

No, i didn take pictures, didn think of it, was so in the music and in the moment all the time ...

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, POA1 said:

That's a great photo!  (I have nothing else to add to the thread, but I had to comment on your picture. It's got a super 70s vibe.)

Itś not him, I guess there are a lot of great bbking allstars :-).

I just found this foto on the internet, but Iḿ afraid its not very helpfull, they are not very recognizable.Review: Holland America Rotterdam ship 2023

I just found some footage, starting at 11:34. Unfortunately no sound, but maybe somebody recognises them.

On every cruise, and on the survey after, I suggest that they post somewhere or sometime the names of the musicians in the groups onboard. Considering that they manage to do that, with bios besides, for the Lincoln Center, it can't be an impossible task. It seems like it would be a decent bit of recognition. But it must be toooo difficult.

However, if you ask at the front desk in writing, they will print the roster for you, so they do know the names. 

On a cruise I was on a few years ago, the set we were listening to in the BB King club was so amazing, I took a video and sent it to my brother, who’s also a jazz musician in Memphis and has occasionally played at the BB King club there. 

“Oh yeah!” he replies. “I know that guy! He was roommates with so-and-so in college! He’s an amazing musician!” 

He went on to tell me that a LOT of the musicians in Memphis do cruise tours, especially HAL with the BB King connection, and it’s a pretty small community, so they all know each other, or at least of each other. 

So if you ever feel like doing a non-cruise vacation, maybe Memphis, Tennessee and the music clubs there on Beale Street might be a tempting option!

Edited by erdufylla
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, erdufylla said:

On a cruise I was on a few years ago, the set we were listening to in the BB King club was so amazing, I took a video and sent it to my brother, who’s also a jazz musician in Memphis and has occasionally played at the BB King club there. 

“Oh yeah!” he replies. “I know that guy! He was roommates with so-and-so in college! He’s an amazing musician!” 

He went on to tell me that a LOT of the musicians in Memphis do cruise tours, especially HAL with the BB King connection, and it’s a pretty small community, so they all know each other, or at least of each other. 

So if you ever feel like doing a non-cruise vacation, maybe Memphis, Tennessee and the music clubs there on Beale Street might be a tempting option!

Thanx, great idea, I'll put that on my bucket list!