Pre Cruise Athens Hotel - Marriott ?

Mr. Baloo

On 6/26/2023 at 3:23 PM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Sorry.

We could only book the 2-day.

Went to Acropolis and new Acropolis Museum on Viking recommended tour.

Is that an excursion that you learned about from the Viking staff at the 2-day extension hotel?  

13 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Correct.

Info from Viking rep, paid vendor directly.

Many participated.

Are you allowed to post who the vendor was? We aren't going until next fall - but I am accumulating information.

19 minutes ago, Murt22 said:

Are you allowed to post who the vendor was? We aren't going until next fall - but I am accumulating information.

I include guide/excursion info all the time including names and websites.  We are not allowed to BE a guide or service provider advertising on CC but sharing what we did and who we used is what CC is all about.

32 minutes ago, Murt22 said:

Sorry, I don’t recall or have any saved documentation. Options will certainly change by next fall.

14 minutes ago, JerryInIL said:

Viking booked the Athens Hilton for our 2 day pre extension May 2024.  Thoughts on location?

That is subject to change since the Hilton no longer exists. The hotel is closed and being converted into luxury condos & hotel and rebranded "Conrad."

Our trip this year also stated the Hilton but we ended up at the Intercontinental for our 4 day Classic Greece extension. Those on the 2 day Athens extension stayed at the Marriott near the port.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 1:20 PM, OneSixtyToOne said:

That is subject to change since the Hilton no longer exists. The hotel is closed and being converted into luxury condos & hotel and rebranded "Conrad."

Our trip this year also stated the Hilton but we ended up at the Intercontinental for our 4 day Classic Greece extension. Those on the 2 day Athens extension stayed at the Marriott near the port.

Doing the 4 Day Classic Greece extension at end of Empire of Med cruise leaving next week. We will be at the Intercontinental also. Any restaurant recommendations near Intercontinental Hotel or Athens? Any other tips for the 4 day extension?

56 minutes ago, JulieEscapes said:

Doing the 4 Day Classic Greece extension at end of Empire of Med cruise leaving next week. We will be at the Intercontinental also. Any restaurant recommendations near Intercontinental Hotel or Athens? Any other tips for the 4 day extension?

Vasilissis is a small family run restaurant around the block that has excellent food at a reasonable price. Your tour director will give you the details.

Ample portions at 10€ for a dinner plate. I had a pork gyros platter and DW had a chicken souvlaki platter. Real authentic Greek food prepared by the mom. Very tasty.

An interesting side note, they proudly displays a letter from the White House thanking them for feeding the White House staff during a state visit by President Obama.

As far as tips, the days you visit things may change, so your free day may not be what is indicated on your schedule. Be aware of this if you plan to arrange any private tours.

The day you go to the ship will be when you do the Acropolis tour. This is the same as the Full Acropolis Experience optional excursion offered Day 1 on the ship.  We booked it not knowing this but were able to cancel it and take another excursion.

Here is the writeup I did back in January. The first part deals with the Classic Greece Extension 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We did the post-extension on our Italy>Adriatic>Greece trip in March 2022; we were put in the Intercontinental Hotel.

While it's a beautiful hotel, room was nice, breakfast was excellent, the restaurant was sub-par. Not only was the menu sparse, but it was overpriced for the meals provided. We had dinner there once and decided not to eat there anymore, instead going a block away to a small homeowned Greek restaurant that was delicious, the staff was extremely friendly, and overall a great experience--someone else mentioned it, and Vasilissis sounds like the correct name.

Although the location of the hotel was less than optimum, we were actually only a 5-minute ride from the Plaka district and probably that far as well from the Natl. Archaeological Museum. 

Our local Viking handler was great; she helped me find and get to a little shop to buy a cheap suitcase (for treasures we'd accumulated on our voyage), was extremely helpful. Thinking about this trip makes me want to do it all over again!

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 2:37 PM, Fieldofdreams said:

Thank you very much for restaurant reference. Any suggestions/advice for the one free day we have in  Athens while on the Viking 4 night Classic extension? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Already answered.

Edited by FetaCheese
Edit