Civitavecchia Embarkation Hotels and Transportation

maggietaggie

Planning a new cruise for next year and usually use cruise transportation and hotels when cruising from ports within the US.  
My thoughts for our next cruise out of Rome next June is  to book hotel and transportation to port ourselves.  
Is it difficult navigating arrival with luggage to the port terminal to the ship?  
Need to decide what to do as am traveling with extended family and want to make it as easy as possible for them but I am spoiled from our trips to Rome and staying at the boutique type hotels near Piazza Navona.  The cruise hotels, although beautiful, are never in a convenient location.  Just would love to hear people’s thoughts on embarkation day  from Civitavecchia and what you all do.   Thanks 

Take a look around the board...there are many threads related to your topics.

First, Civi is an hour from the airport. Rome is 75 minutes from Civi, in a different direction. Rome, the airport and the port form something of a triangle. 

There are some hotels in Civi, but generally not a lot of charm in Civi. I really think your family would enjoy staying in Rome. I would arrange transportation from a private company like the wonderful Rome in Limo, both airport to Rome hotel,  and hotel to port. The transport will meet you outside the Customs area, and take you direct to your hotel. Then from hotel direct to the check in area at the port. Your bags will go directly to a porter, and you will receive them in your cabin.

As far as navigating things like Immigration,  and the boarding process at the port, it really isn't any different than any place in the US. The purpose is to get you through the process...everything is designed with that in mind. Just an extra step ir two involving passports.

• Like 1

We have stayed several times in Civitavecchia and will do so again in October.  There are numerous hotels, B&B's and vacation rentals. We have stayed in the hills overlooking the port and in town and both had there own charm.  Only you can decide what is the best fit for you.

On 6/26/2023 at 4:30 AM, Galveston Cruiser said:

We have stayed several times in Civitavecchia and will do so again in October.  There are numerous hotels, B&B's and vacation rentals. We have stayed in the hills overlooking the port and in town and both had there own charm.  Only you can decide what is the best fit for you.

I have a reservation in Civi the night prior to boarding ship in November and have purchased frecciabianca tickets from Termini. I would appreciate advice on the station in Civitavecchia regarding managing luggage. I have read that stairs can pose a problem. Any advice appreciated. Thank you 

We have a slightly different take on the topic.  Imagine spending a night 20 miles outside of Paris, and seeing some of the city in the far distance.  or taking a cruise out of Bayonne (near NYC) and staying in Newark, and later glancing across the river at the NYC skyline.  When it comes to Civitavecchia (a city we find tolerable) we have the relatively easy option of staying in Rome.  And Rome is a city full of charms, excellent eating venues, etc. etc.  So while we have sometimes stayed in Civitavecchia (usually when dropping a rental car) we generally opt to be in Rome.  Getting from Rome to the port on a cruise day is relatively simple (either train, taxi or private transfer).

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have a slightly different take on the topic.  Imagine spending a night 20 miles outside of Paris, and seeing some of the city in the far distance.  or taking a cruise out of Bayonne (near NYC) and staying in Newark, and later glancing across the river at the NYC skyline.  When it comes to Civitavecchia (a city we find tolerable) we have the relatively easy option of staying in Rome.  And Rome is a city full of charms, excellent eating venues, etc. etc.  So while we have sometimes stayed in Civitavecchia (usually when dropping a rental car) we generally opt to be in Rome.  Getting from Rome to the port on a cruise day is relatively simple (either train, taxi or private transfer).

Hank

We have stayed in Rome multiple times and see no reason to stay again, though we love Rome,  as there is so much to see outside of Rome.  We always have a car with this driving trip starting in Venice.  We don't care to haul luggage through train stations and hail taxis. As I stated prior, everyone should make decisions that work for them.

Just now, Galveston Cruiser said:

We have stayed in Rome multiple times and see no reason to stay again, though we love Rome,  as there is so much to see outside of Rome.  We always have a car with this driving trip starting in Venice.  We don't care to haul luggage through train stations and hail taxis. As I stated prior, everyone should make decisions that work for them.

We agree.  When we have a rental car (which is often) we avoid Rome for the obvious reasons (traffic, ZTL restrictions, etc).  But, when we are simply flying-in or out of Italy and have a few days pre-post cruise, we may well go to Rome.  Despite having spent a significant amount of time in Rome, we are always happy to return. That is why I did post that the only time we have stayed in Civitavecchia is when we were dropping off a rental car (in Civitavecchia.  We have no problem driving to Florence (we stay at the Hotel David which has free parking) or Venice. 

Hank

Hank:

We will be staying at Hotel David for 3 nights.

We have stayed at Tenuta Dell'Argento in the hills above Civitavecchia several times - fabulous restaurant!

We have driven to lakes outside of Rome, Ostia Antica, Tarquinia, an Etruscan historic site and all the way to Genoa and are fortunate we do not fly in the day prior to a cruise but spend time discovering new areas.