Road to Hana with Overnight - Suggestions Appreciated! Pride of America cruise w/ overnight stop

MidwestWanderer

Hello all!  I am cruising on the NCL Pride of America in October, with an 8am arrival in Kahului, Maui on a Sunday, followed by a departure from Maui/Kaului the next day, around 6pm.  The boat stays in port overnight.  I am considering renting a car at the port, self-driving the Road to Hana on Sunday (as opposed to a tour), staying overnight in/near Hana (instead of coming back to the ship) and then driving back to Kahului from Hana the next day, on Monday.  I'd love to work in a hike in the nearby Haleakala National Park (Seven Sacred Pools & Ohe'o Gulch) before doing the drive back to the cruise port.  

1) anybody done this while on the Pride of America cruise?

2) worth staying overnight and then driving back next day?  If so, any suggestions on where to stay? - would be two adults

11 hours ago, MidwestWanderer said:

1) anybody done this while on the Pride of America cruise?

I have not on a POA cruise but have been to Hana 20+ times and usually spend a week there a year for the past 6 or so years. What you describe is doable but it will monopolize your entire time in Maui. 

11 hours ago, MidwestWanderer said:

2) worth staying overnight and then driving back next day?  If so, any suggestions on where to stay? - would be two adults

This is subjective. What type of vacation do you normally like to do? Do you like to spend more time off the grid and away from the tourist spots or do you enjoy beach vacations with all the bells and whistles? Everything you described (the pools/Ohe'o, and numerous other stops along the way) you could technically do (and most people do) in a long first day on the island and then have the second day to go to a more resorty beach. 

That being said spending time in Hana in the late afternoon/evening when all the tourists are gone is a whole experience in itself and shows you a slower, more relaxed side of Maui most visitors never see. It's like taking a trip back in time. 

It will also give you a chance to take your time, see more along the way, and even take the full road all around the other side (vs just turning around at the pools and headed back the way you came). 

A few caveats-- staying over is not easy and it can be very expensive. We usually rent a house near Hamoa Beach just outside of town but a house rental won't be an option for you staying one night (usually have 3-4 day minimums). There are a handful of inns/B&Bs that rent for $300-500 a night. They are very basic, don't operate all the time, and are very small.

The main lodging in town is the Hana-Maui Resort which is now managed by Hyatt. In October that's going to run you $700-1000 a night. It's a wonderful place right in the middle of town-- nice restaurant/lounge, good spa, and they have buggies that will take you to and from Hamoa Beach to swim. It is more of a 3/4 star hotel though even though they charge 5 star prices. 

Also know that dining options become quite limited in the evening and there is really only one bar in terms of nightlife which is at the resort and is closed by 10pm. If you need groceries there are two small general stores with limited offerings and they close 6-7pm. 

Overall its a very fun and rewarding experience but just know what you're getting into. The reason there are only a few limited lodging options is that overall the locals aren't thrilled you're there so be respectful. 

If the goal is to see a very different side of Maui, take your time with the Hana road to see more, and get off the grid for a night-- this could be fun. If you want to have a more resorty experience you might consider doing the drive in one long day and spend the second day on the more developed side of the island. 

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the thoughtful and detailed response. 

I have read so many posts about the difficulties of being the driver on The Road to Hana that I have some concerns with pitching it as an idea to the member of my group who would be stuck driving - any insight into whether it is as difficult as some say, particularly on the driver, and if a Sunday in early October (albeit a day when the Pride of America cruise ship and potentially other cruise lines will be in town) may be a better or worse day than others? 

Part of the reason I'd prefer to avoid doing the drive roundtrip in one day is that we will have just flown into Hawaii with a very long travel day with a significant period of time sitting on Friday on planes, and then setting sail on the cruise ship on Saturday, making the Sunday in Maui our first chance at The Road to Hana and also our first full day on the cruise - I suspect my group may be tired and not wanting to sit for a long day in the car, for that reason - giving rise to my idea to make it into a more leisurely two day trip. 

Our only other option would be to do the entire drive in one day on Monday, October, 9, but as that is the day we have to be back on the cruise ship by around 5pm, the risk of a delay is too great to attempt the roundtrip drive that day, in my view.  

While I would very much like to get off the grid and use the days in Maui for a leisurely exploration of The Road to Hana and back with an overnight in/near Hana, allowing for time to stop and take in the sights, your point is well taken as to there being other things to do and places to explore.  It is a good problem to have - too many choices all involving being away from a work computer!

Thanks again for your insight.

Edited by MidwestWanderer
date change!

44 minutes ago, MidwestWanderer said:

any insight into whether it is as difficult as some say, particularly on the driver, and if a Sunday in early October (albeit a day when the Pride of America cruise ship and potentially other cruise lines will be in town) may be a better or worse day than others?

Its not a difficult drive-- there are switchbacks and places there the road can only fit one vehicle in one direction but its just a matter of waiting your turn and following good road etiquette. Its not dangerous but does demand a bit of the driver-- the driver might not get to see all of the scenery from the road because their concentration will be elsewhere. 

46 minutes ago, MidwestWanderer said:

I suspect my group may be tired and not wanting to sit for a long day in the car, for that reason - giving rise to my idea to make it into a more leisurely two day trip. 

I don't think your reasoning is off but it will monopolize your entire time in Maui. As I said above, if you did it on the first day, the second day could be spent at a resorty beach with chairs, umbrellas, etc and food and drink nearby at resorts. While Hana does have a nice beach nearby it has very few of the "tourist" facilities found elsewhere on the island-- its quite basic. Just know what you're getting into. 

48 minutes ago, MidwestWanderer said:

but as that is the day we have to be back on the cruise ship by around 5pm, the risk of a delay is too great to attempt the roundtrip drive that day, in my view.

Absolutely not worth it doing that on your own the 2nd day of departure with what really is a 4pm all aboard (for a 5pm departure). Too many things could go wrong that would delay you. The only way that I would consider Hana on the day of departure would be through a ship's tour where you are guaranteed back to the ship (and I think driving yourself on this is the way to go). I think your options for doing it on your own really are round trip on day 1 or your overnight idea on both days. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We just came back from POA last week and loved our day with Unique Maui Tours - 7 Sacred Pools & Bamboo Forest.  We hiked the scenic Pipiwai Trail at the Kipahulu at Haleakala National Park and experienced some of the most amazing waterfalls - Makahiku, Waimoku (400 ft tall), including Ohe'o Gulch/ Seven Sacred Pools and Hanawi Falls (coming out of lava tubes), not to mention the beautiful bamboo forest.

We drove the Road to Hana on the backway (successfully avoided any crowds) and even swam in our private waterfall Pua’a Ka’a ("Rolling Pig,").  Our guide, Wendy, was amazing and made our visit so memorable with her vast array of knowledge, songs and stories.
If you have a chance, do consider this tour - it was incredible. 
Edited by Maverick!

44 minutes ago, Maverick! said:

We just came back from POA last week and loved our day with Unique Maui Tours - 7 Sacred Pools & Bamboo Forest.  We hiked the scenic Pipiwai Trail at the Kipahulu at Haleakala National Park and experienced some of the most amazing waterfalls - Makahiku, Waimoku (400 ft tall), including Ohe'o Gulch/ Seven Sacred Pools and Hanawi Falls (coming out of lava tubes), not to mention the beautiful bamboo forest.

We drove the Road to Hana on the backway (successfully avoided any crowds) and even swam in our private waterfall Pua’a Ka’a ("Rolling Pig,").  Our guide, Wendy, was amazing and made our visit so memorable with her vast array of knowledge, songs and stories.
If you have a chance, do consider this tour - it was incredible. 

It sounds like this would make for a very tiring and long day.  How many hours did it take you to do all this?

39 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Rather than repeating this link on every Lahaina thread, you might want to just add it to the specific thread dealing with the fire.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 1:27 AM, Silver Sweethearts said:

It sounds like this would make for a very tiring and long day.  How many hours did it take you to do all this?

To do Road to Hana and back to Kahului, and hike the Pipiwai Trail would take the whole day.  The speed limit on the Road considering the narrow turns was on average 10-20 mph.  We enjoyed every minute - the beauty of the landscape, waterfalls, forest, black sand beach, lava tube, is worth the effort. We are saddened to follow the devastation and chaos unfolding on Maui.

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Rather than repeating this link on every Lahaina thread, you might want to just add it to the specific thread dealing with the fire.

My brother has an ATV excursion booked in Maui, so I let him know about the fire. I just wanted more people to know about it in case they have anything booked for Maui and didn't know about the fire.

• Like 1