Summit main dining room question

cruiseforus

50 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

But you won’t be in the dining room, you’ll be in Blu.  You’ll see the difference when you are there.

Yes, thank you.  Show up, assess, and adjust as needed.  I'm perfectly fine with this route.  My intent was never to stick out like a sore thumb or to be the trashy family in the corner.  

4 hours ago, BrewJack said:

As for the staff being put in an awkward position, it sounds like shorts in the dining room is a pretty regular occurrence at this point.  I doubt it is unique or awkward for the staff.  In fact, my guess is that the staff cares much more about dealing with customers who are friendly and polite than whether or not guys have their calves covered up.

It is not a regular occurrence. It’s an occasional aberration by those who don’t believe that they need to follow the dress code.  In other worded, passengers who are not polite.

it is inconsiderate of both the staff who are put in the position of dealing with it, and of the vast majority of passengers who do pay attention,

just like abiding by “ no children in the solarium pool outside of family hours” “ no children in the front rows of the theater” “ no children in the gym” and all the other rules in the code of conduct, there are always some few, (poor role models all), who choose to ignore them.  

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

It is not a regular occurrence. It’s an occasional aberration by those who don’t believe that they need to follow the dress code. 

A post above reported an approximate 15-20% in the MDR as not only wearing shorts, but being grossly underdressed - swimsuits, etc.  This does not sound like an occasional aberration.  If Celebrity was serious about this rule, then something would have been done to address the situation.  If I were staff, I'd be happy to be relieved of the awkwardness in having to send someone back to their stateroom to change.  I'm not planning on my kids showing up in athletic shorts and t-shirts.  While sitting at a table they will appear to be in-line with the posted dress code.  While standing they'll look presentable even if not technically in-line with the code.  Perhaps I'll show up to Blu and realize that it's much more formal than I expected and my kids are really going to stand out in dress shorts.  If so, then I suppose they'll wear the same pair of pants all week.  My guess though, is that they're not going to be the only ones dining in shorts.

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly don't want to rekindle this debate, but would like to report back on my experience:  my teenagers wore nice shorts to dinner in Blu all week without issue.  No comments, no dirty looks, etc.  The only exception was our anniversary night when we booked a photo shoot and all the boys were in suits.

Were there others wearing shorts?  I'm not really sure since most everyone is sitting down and I couldn't tell what they had on below their waist.  And honestly, unless someone was grossly underdressed it probably wouldn't have caught my eye anyway.  I did overhear from my balcony a man in the room next to ours telling his wife(?) that he refuses to wear long pants to Blu that evening, which gave me a little chuckle.

• Like 2

Also on the Summit a week ago in the MDR there were men in shorts. The only exception was on Chic Nights I didn’t see shorts but the other nights there were definitely many men wearing shorts in the MDR. 
it was fine with us. Didn't make the cruise any less enjoyable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Thanks for the update. I hope you had a great cruise!

It was fantastic!  I hope to post a little review sometime this week.  I told my wife that I would happily do the same ship and itinerary again.  We both loved it.

• Like 1

On my recent cruise on the Millennium it seemed the majority of guests in the MDR were following the dress code.  

I much prefer the Virgin “we don’t care as long as it’s not a swimsuit” attitude but I’ll take off my hat for the MDR if that’s what people care about on celebrity. 

1 hour ago, BrewJack said:

It was fantastic!  I hope to post a little review sometime this week.  I told my wife that I would happily do the same ship and itinerary again.  We both loved it.

I look forward to your review. I'm on Summit next month. She's a great ship and always has a great crew.

I for one am VERY HAPPY Celebity is still doing their best to maintain established dress codes. Although my husband no longer takes his tux and I no longer take formal dresses, we still like to dress-up for the formal evenings. These are the things that still make cruising a special expereince and continues to make Celebrity (Elite Plus) our cruise line of choice. .

Not the case on our recent RCI Oasis 7 night sailing the end of June to join Family members who booked this sailing in 2022. Anything seems to be acceptable clothing options whether formal evening or not (or more important appropriate behavior) whether you're eating in the MDR or Windjammer buffet. 

Edited by Loracpin2
Grammar
  • Like 1

This is just my small sample experience from one cruise with Celebrity, but on chic nights there seemed to be a small percentage of people (I'm guessing maybe 30%) who really dressed up formally while most dressed like any other night.  Maybe some guys broke out their 'nicest' polo shirt, but I couldn't tell.  If I didn't know it was chic night from the daily itinerary, I'm not sure that I would have noticed.

Yes, I also didn’t see many who really dressed up on Chic nights. Mostly all men just had polo shirt and slacks. Only difference between that and the other nights were there really weren’t shorts on Chic nights. The other nights there were many men with shorts.