Summit main dining room question

cruiseforus

Allowed, no.  Overlooked, possibly.

I've been reading reports that staff have been told not to enforce the dress code?  This is just from other posts here on CC.

I'll be on Summit this summer (dining in Blu).  Prior to investigating the dress code, my wife bought my 2 teen sons several pairs of 'dress shorts'.  They plan on wearing shorts until they're told not to.  I know this ruffles the feathers of some, especially here, but honestly I think nice shorts look as good or better than jeans, which neither of my kids can stand wearing.

Nope, I didn't misread anything.  Just found the instructions after the shorts were purchased, tags removed, receipts trashed.

If they are told to go change into long pants, then I'm fine with that and will abide.  What I won't do is force my kids to wear pants if there are several others dining in shorts, which is sounding like a possibility.

• Haha 1

brewJack, I’m confused. You say they will wear shorts until they are told not to, so that tells me that you are bringing some alternative long pants for them, perhaps chinos or khakis, since they don’t like jeans.  So why not wear them in the first place rather than being sent away from Bleu to go back to their stateroom to change?  

• Thanks 1

We were B2B2B on Summit for 30 days last 18 August through 11 September. The first two cruises were in Blu, and the third in MDR.

People in Blu dressed like they were on a Celebrity cruise: neat, appropriate, etc. In the MDR, about 15-20% of folks dressed for dinner as if they had come directly from the pool deck or excursions without changing: cargo shorts, T-shirts, flip-flops, etc. There did not seem to be any effort whatsoever to encourage people to return to their cabins and come back in accordance with Celebrity's published dress standards. This was also the case on Evening Chic nights.

I think a lot depends on the current Maitre D', F&B manager, and/or Hotel Manager. 

-----

From the 28 February through 9 May this year,  we were  on Eclipse for 57 days (5 of 7 cruises) in Luminae, Blu, and MDR. One younger man (late 20s-early 30s) traveling with whom I guessed were his parents, in Luminae often wore a nice collared, buttoned shirt with nice, dressy shorts, and long slacks on EC nights. His manner of dress did not strike me as inappropriate, even though it may not have technically met the standards. 

Perhaps the length of the pants may be less important than the style and fabric?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

brewJack, I’m confused. You say they will wear shorts until they are told not to, so that tells me that you are bringing some alternative long pants for them, perhaps chinos or khakis, since they don’t like jeans.  So why not wear them in the first place rather than being sent away from Bleu to go back to their stateroom to change?  

I'd rather them wear nice shorts than the same pair of pants to dinner every night.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WestLakeGirl said:

They can change back into their shorts once dinner is over, can’t they?

They can and will if necessary.  Why go through the bother if it's not.

As mentioned above, why is the length of a young man's pants so important to people?  You see them while entering and exiting the dining room.  Otherwise they're sitting at a table and you can't see what they're wearing below deck.

• Haha 1

I look at this like the speed limit on a road.  The posted limit may say 45 mph, but in reality most are going 50 or more without fear of being pulled over.

If Celebrity says no shorts, but doesn't enforce that rule, and many are choosing not to follow it, then I see no harm in allowing my teens to wear nice shorts to dinner.

• Thanks 1

Personally, I think Celebrity is a few steps ahead of all of us on this.  They keep the 'no shorts' rule in place to keep the shorts-haters happy, and they don't enforce it to appease the shorts-lovers.  Well played Celebrity!

• Like 1

That s what rules are for. Says long pants for dinner, the wear long pants. Simple. 

Again, pushing the boundaries. You dont know if by letting people in who are not following “the rules”, that the staff isnt getting flack from their supervisor

If they are teenaged, surely they have gone to school and know there are rules

Simple

I don't mean to be snarky, but aren't you teaching your children that rules don't apply to them.  Whether or not Celebrity enforces the rule, if I had children with me on a cruise, I would want them to follow the dress code and if they were to ask why others might have shorts on, I would explain that there are dress codes in place and these people have decided that the codes don't apply to them.  I understand that you parent in your way, but this is how I would handle the situation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, luv2camp04 said:

I don't mean to be snarky, but aren't you teaching your children that rules don't apply to them. 

I'd like to think that I'm teaching my children to think for themselves and make sensible decisions.  Some rules don't make sense and need to be questioned/stretched.  In this case, why are females allowed skirts that stop at the knee while men are forced to wear long pants?  Dress shorts are JUST LIKE dress pants, except they stop at the knee.

Dress shorts are not like dress pants.    If they are not long, they are shorts.   

Sometimes children, including teenagers need guidance.  A good teachable moment. may not like the rules, but abide by them

Why stress out the staff by challenging them or putting them in an awkward situation. 

• Like 1

As for the staff being put in an awkward position, it sounds like shorts in the dining room is a pretty regular occurrence at this point.  I doubt it is unique or awkward for the staff.  In fact, my guess is that the staff cares much more about dealing with customers who are friendly and polite than whether or not guys have their calves covered up.