Port or Starboard side stateroom

petrous

41 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

Do you want to look at open sea or land - which do you consider "better"?

I just look at the map for the itinerary and pick the side that gives us more of what we prefer to see from the cabin.

This is exactly what we do.  We want the land side, so we look at the direction of the ship and choose accordingly.

• Like 1

On our London to Bergen BIE cruise, we were on the starboard side and had beautiful views of the Cliffs of Dover when sailing into Dover in the early morning.  Perhaps the port side would give you land views when sailing in the opposite direction. 

consider your route in your mind.  Are you a sunrise or sunset person.  I am an early bird and seeing the sun rise with a cup of coffee , in my room,   sounds appealing..  Some might say the same about a nightcap. I think for sight viewing I would prefer to be in the public areas where I have larger windows, more comfort and wider vista.

I think if your itinerary places you in warmer climates then the use of the balcony at certain times of day may drive that.  When might you wish to use it, is it full sun?   To me that would be unpleasant, others would love it.

• Like 1

We were on the starboard side in April when we were on the Bergen to Tilbury sailing. The previous replies touched on your personal preferences. I will say we had great views from our balcony of the white cliffs of Dover! The photo is a zoomed in view and it was very exciting sailing into port. 

PXL_20230427_050031039~2.jpg

38 minutes ago, longterm said:

I selected a starboard cabin for our BIE cruise next summer; since we're departing from Greenwich and heading south around England, Dover will be on the starboard side.

Word of advice: wake up early! The views of the Cliffs of Dover started before 6 AM on our Greenwich to Bergen cruise.  We were still jet lagged so just happened to wake up early that morning.  There were no announcements from the Cruise Director or Bridge. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonlion said:

Word of advice: wake up early! The views of the Cliffs of Dover started before 6 AM on our Greenwich to Bergen cruise.  We were still jet lagged so just happened to wake up early that morning.  There were no announcements from the Cruise Director or Bridge. 

On our BIE, we had a second chance shortly after we left Dover.

15 hours ago, Moonlion said:

That's an interesting point...I wonder if you could arrange to be alerted if/when points(views) of interest occur...whether it be views like the cliffs above, or even "there's whales off the starboard bow" even if they text you or call your room?