HIA Promo

OCJayGuy

Our HIA showed as not available -- or that weird thing where there's no price -- for two months after we booked. Then, one day, while I was trying to make the point that there was a problem (loudly) - it showed up as bookable at $50/pp/day.

Maybe the website is sensitive to criticism and unleashing a torrent of profanity on it causes it to rethink its position. (I know that's probably not the reason, but it's a satisfying explanation.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

Actually I just read the fine print and I'm not sure that is correct, although I have heard other people in the past say what you are saying.  Here are HAL's words; our cruise is 11 days for $200 credit:

The longer you cruise, the more you can explore. Cruise 6 to 9 days and get US$100 Shore Excursion Credit; 10 to 20 days and get US$200 Shore Excursion Credit; 21+ days and get US$300 Shore Excursion Credit! Up to $100 value per tour or $100 off any tour. Available for 1st/2nd guest in stateroom.

It says "$100 off any tour".  If those literal words are correct, then a $200 shore excursion would cost me $100 out of pocket since I can't use the whole credit on one tour.

As I said this matters, because we will likely only use HAL for a single shore excursion; all our others will be with private companies.

Although the HAL HIA policy says the credits are to be used per excursion, meaning if you had one under $100, you would lose the  remaining amount, several of us have reported being able to use the full amount as @DaveOKC mentioned.

It will show you how much you're using and how much you would owe before you commit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

Although the HAL HIA policy says the credits are to be used per excursion, meaning if you had one under $100, you would lose the  remaining amount, several of us have reported being able to use the full amount as @DaveOKC mentioned.

It will show you how much you're using and how much you would owe before you commit.

I booked all three at the same time as I figured it would be easier for all parties that way.  Worked for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

Actually I just read the fine print and I'm not sure that is correct, although I have heard other people in the past say what you are saying. 

We have used the HIA Shore Excursion credits on 5 cruises. No matter what the fine print says, when you log onto Manage My Booking, the SE credit shows as one amount. This can be used however you wish. We have booked excursions that cost more than $100 per person and not been charged for them. On another cruise we booked 4 excursions each and paid just $10 total.

• Like 3

It's all crazy, isn't it. I usually buy Fcc on my way out the door, like 300.00 last time. Tell me why..I don't know. But, it shows up sometime in the future, and it's like HIA, such a mystery sometimes. But it all works out in the end. Someone recently commented that I  must be a newbie on cruising. Nah, it's been like a thousand years. Lol. 

• Haha 2