Regal June 13 2023 British Isles Miscellaneous

Tedferg

This is not a trip review, just some general thoughts after a great cruise.

The ship was quite cool, I wish I had taken a light sweater.

Boarding in Southampton was quick and security scan is done by the port staff not on board by Princess. There was no Wine Table. No Wine Table at any port.

Bought Plus package first day at Customer Service (CS) using OBC, waiters in the bar were offering the package, so I did not need to go to CS.

CS did say that Plus would be recorded after we sailed, and they would refund any drink charges made before that. I had to go to CS two days later to have those charges removed.

No trouble ordering a glass of wine with my drink, to take back to DW.

Often asked if I would like a double when I ordered.

Wine was a generous pour and Scotch was a strong drink.

We always ordered generic Chardonay and Cabernet and were happy with it, but then we are easily pleased 🙂

Waiter always asked for cabin number rather than scanning Medallion but always confirmed my name after he entered it.

You do not need local currency, Tap Card worked even in public toilets when there was a charge.

No general tipping, there was a tip line when we had to sign.

All tour drivers and Princess transfer drivers lined up for a tip. most people tipped. We did need actual money then but all currencies work, including Dollars so best to take extra cash with you rather than searching for ATM.

We were on roaming and found it hard to make calls - I believe you add a '1' prefix to UK cell numbers. Land lines need a different prefix.

Our Internet connections on shore were not the best, wish I had paid more attention to email. I got a couple of notifications from Tour Operators that I missed.

If you rent a car, it is helpful to have a paper map. Our Sat Nav took us on a meandering tour of minor roads. Shortest route but using Motorway would have been faster, though longer in distance.

US drivers, Look Right at roundabouts!!!! Car On the roundabout has right-of-way and if you are on the round about cars entering will give you right of way. My heart skipped a couple of beats looking at the speed they approach the roundabout, but they did yield to me 🙂

Edited by Tedferg
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, helenb said:

What is the tap card? Is this something you obtained in the UK?

No, regular credit card with RFID Chip you can insert the card or tap on the payment device. BTW we had a separate Debit card with a chip, but it would not work with 'Tap'. Regular Visa card with chip was fine. You might try your card at home before you leave to make sure.

Edited by Tedferg

7 minutes ago, helenb said:

What is the tap card? Is this something you obtained in the UK?

Look at your credit card to see if it has the tap symbol.  You don’t have to slide the card at terminals that also have the symbol. Just tap the symbol.

image.png.e2040d7ed93fa9cc9f5bc39e0afa1bfc.png

2 hours ago, Becca19601 said:

Thank you Tedferg, I have a few questions if you do not mind. Can you tell me, how was the speed of the wifi on the ship?  Did they have a tea kettle in your cabin? Did they have the CrabShack? Planks?

Wi Fi was OK but we only used it for short time slots, no streaming etc. No tea kettle and I must admit tea kettles in hotels pre-cruise was nice :-). Did not see Crab Shack or Planks though with being port intensive, we did not explore upper decks.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Wi Fi was OK but we only used it for short time slots, no streaming etc. No tea kettle and I must admit tea kettles in hotels pre-cruise was nice :-). Did not see Crab Shack or Planks though with being port intensive, we did not explore upper decks.

Edited by BURNSMN
Duplicate post
  • Like 1