Does Celebrity offer an airport transfer from LAX to the cruise port? Is it convenient?

PaperSniper4

Celebrity does offer a transfer but like all their transfers, you wait until a bus is full before you depart. We did not take their transfer so can’t offer any other tidbit. We used Uber for both LAX to our cruise hotel and cruise port to LAX. No problem either way and I’m quite sure we paid less than Celebrity’s transfer.

We used the Celebrity transfer in January. It was fine. We didn’t wait too long for it to be filled. We didn’t want to take an Uber because of bad experiences and surcharges when stuck in morning traffic in other cities after a cruise. I think it was about $40-$50 per person. 

16 hours ago, blackshirt said:

Celebrity does offer a transfer but like all their transfers, you wait until a bus is full before you depart. We did not take their transfer so can’t offer any other tidbit. We used Uber for both LAX to our cruise hotel and cruise port to LAX. No problem either way and I’m quite sure we paid less than Celebrity’s transfer.

Thanks. Does Uber actually enter LAX to pick up customers? I thought I read somewhere they could not, so you were required to take a shuttle or something where Uber (et al) you would meet Uber, etc.

Doug

13 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

We used the Celebrity transfer in January. It was fine. We didn’t wait too long for it to be filled. We didn’t want to take an Uber because of bad experiences and surcharges when stuck in morning traffic in other cities after a cruise. I think it was about $40-$50 per person. 

Thanks for that info.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, blackshirt said:

Yeah, we had that in Galveston last March. Waited over two hours to board the bus which then took about 2 hours to reach the ship. Ugh, no fun!

7 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks. Does Uber actually enter LAX to pick up customers? I thought I read somewhere they could not, so you were required to take a shuttle or something where Uber (et al) you would meet Uber, etc.

Doug

There is an Uber/Lift pickup point next to terminal 1. Since we flew into terminal 1, it was an easy walk.

We were happier with our Uber to the port from the LAX Marriott to the ship than the Celebrity transfer from the ship. We were there when the port was oversubscribed and we came back to a different berth with no building, which certainly made it worse. I felt like we were in a RS but we kind of rushed out with the transfer rather than taking our time. 

I did determine that the LAX - San Pedro airport transfer costs $35 per person per way if anyone is looking for that information also.

We decided to take what we hope is the easy way out, while understand the craziness of LAX airport and the sometimes frustration of the cruise line airport transfers: We're flying into LAX, doing a RO1N at the Fairfield Inn in El Segundo, then using the Celebrity airport transfer both directions. Cost seems very reasonable for everything. The deciding deal for us in Memphis was a direct flight both ways. 🥰

Doug

I also was just reminded that the drop off was particularly awful at LAX. I think there was one or maybe two drops total. There are six or seven terminals at LAX, I think. That was another reason we felt we’d be happier with a direct ride for less money, it was awful especially with my mom’s mobility challenges. 

10 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

I also was just reminded that the drop off was particularly awful at LAX. I think there was one or maybe two drops total. There are six or seven terminals at LAX, I think. That was another reason we felt we’d be happier with a direct ride for less money, it was awful especially with my mom’s mobility challenges. 

Thanks for that info. We're still figuring our best way to get from the hotel in El Segundo to the cruise terminal and back. Our cruise is in December this year.  At this moment we will likely take Celeb's transfer from the ship, even knowing having to make all the other stops. I mean, we'd be seated, right, the bus does eventually take you to your terminal? Was your transport (Uber?) able to pick you up in front of your arriving terminal? Were you able to schedule it? Do you remember what you paid per person? We've a party of 4 in our 70s, but luckily without any significant mobility issues.

Doug

5 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks for that info. We're still figuring our best way to get from the hotel in El Segundo to the cruise terminal and back. Our cruise is in December this year.  At this moment we will likely take Celeb's transfer from the ship, even knowing having to make all the other stops. I mean, we'd be seated, right, the bus does eventually take you to your terminal? Was your transport (Uber?) able to pick you up in front of your arriving terminal? Were you able to schedule it? Do you remember what you paid per person? We've a party of 4 in our 70s, but luckily without any significant mobility issues.

Doug

When we arrived at LAX we took the shuttle provided by the LAX Marriott, where we were staying (and will stay again in the future when we take a layover on the way to Tahiti). The hotel shuttles are allowed up to the terminals but I understand only Uber Black is allowed to the terminals. So that is a factor with ride share for pick up at the airport. Then, we took a Lyft a couple days later from our hotel to San Pedro (right near airport) - it was $50 for a Lyft XL in October 2022. 

Re: all the other stops, no the bus does not necessarily take you to your terminal - the shuttle makes two stops only. So depending on what terminal you are at you might have to walk three terminal lengths or transfer onto the LAX inter-airport shuttle with all your checked bags and in our case mobility device, etc. I don't remember the terminal numbers, unfortunately, but we were on a United flight and left far away. Lots of people were grumbling, especially after the disembarkation process with the multiple terminals that morning and the fact that Celebrity didn't communicate this ahead of time to set expectations. 

I would only use the Celebrity shuttle in LA again if going directly from airport to ship. It sounds like you will have to get a ride back to the airport from the hotel to get on Celebrity's shuttle which will cost time and at least a few bucks tip. The process of waiting for others than at LAX will also add time. I think I pre-scheduled our ride from the hotel (since, unlike the airport day, you are on your own schedule and therefore predictable) for cost certainty and to compare Lyft and Uber. You can do that right in the respective apps and cancel if something changes for your plan. Certainly I would have expected the fare to be a little higher leaving the port due to demand pricing, but you will also have cabs available there. 

5 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

When we arrived at LAX we took the shuttle provided by the LAX Marriott, where we were staying (and will stay again in the future when we take a layover on the way to Tahiti). The hotel shuttles are allowed up to the terminals but I understand only Uber Black is allowed to the terminals. So that is a factor with ride share for pick up at the airport. Then, we took a Lyft a couple days later from our hotel to San Pedro (right near airport) - it was $50 for a Lyft XL in October 2022. .................

Wow, thanks for all that! Answers all the questions I have right now. Thank  you taking the time to post that, sir <madam?>

Doug