Onboard credit

uktog

In the UK, the OBC given by Viking is in sterling.  At what stage do they make the dollar conversion - at booking, when using pre cruise say for an excursion or if no excursions booked is it at boarding?

I have searched these boards but could not find an answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uktog said:

In the UK, the OBC given by Viking is in sterling.  At what stage do they make the dollar conversion - at booking, when using pre cruise say for an excursion or if no excursions booked is it at boarding?

Hello Hobson - I am curious about Viking pricing for UK residents. We paid around $16K US for our two week Australian/New Zealand cruise and about the same for our two week upcoming Italy/Adriatic/Greece cruise. Both are for a DV4 category cabin. Wondering if is approximately the same for UK residents. Thanks for sharing if you don't mind. 

59 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

Yes I’m interested in this also as we’re going in September & will be able to make excursion reservations from next week.

The excursions are priced in sterling for U.K. passengers so no currency conversion for those. Any reminder gets converted to dollars for on board spend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Sorry I think this should have been addressed to uktog instead as a UK resident -

I am curious about Viking pricing for UK residents. We paid around $16K US for our two week Australian/New Zealand cruise and about the same for our two week upcoming Italy/Adriatic/Greece cruise. Both are for a DV4 category cabin. Wondering if is approximately the same for UK residents. Thanks for sharing if you don't mind. 

50 minutes ago, downsmead said:

The excursions are priced in sterling for U.K. passengers so no currency conversion for those. Any reminder gets converted to dollars for on board spend.

Duh!!!  Apologies, of course they are - don’t know what I was thinking, just put it down to me having a senior moment 😂

1 hour ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Hello Hobson - I am curious about Viking pricing for UK residents. We paid around $16K US for our two week Australian/New Zealand cruise and about the same for our two week upcoming Italy/Adriatic/Greece cruise. Both are for a DV4 category cabin. Wondering if is approximately the same for UK residents. Thanks for sharing if you don't mind. 

It’s very difficult to work out, what with varying exchange rates & included flight prices from US as opposed to flights from UK, but I don’t think there would be a lot in it.  From what I’ve read on this forum however, it does seem that TA’s in US are allowed to give more discount, OBS etc. than TA’s in UK. Also I never seem to see the offer codes discussed on CC.

1 hour ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Sorry I think this should have been addressed to uktog instead as a UK resident -

I am curious about Viking pricing for UK residents. We paid around $16K US for our two week Australian/New Zealand cruise and about the same for our two week upcoming Italy/Adriatic/Greece cruise. Both are for a DV4 category cabin. Wondering if is approximately the same for UK residents. Thanks for sharing if you don't mind. 

When is your cruise and we can then check prices from the UK website? As already noted by Hobson, UK catalogue cruises differ somewhat from their US equivalent as they include economy flights and the majority include gratuities.

50 minutes ago, shipboy said:

When is your cruise and we can then check prices from the UK website? As already noted by Hobson, UK catalogue cruises differ somewhat from their US equivalent as they include economy flights and the majority include gratuities.

Sept 27th - October 11th, however ship is full so not sure if you will find pricing online - Thanks

10 minutes ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Sept 27th - October 11th, however ship is full so not sure if you will find pricing online - Thanks

A DV4 on that cruise was priced at £6390. Obviously the flights from UK to Rome/Athens will be cheaper than those from/to the US

52 minutes ago, shipboy said:

A DV4 on that cruise was priced at £6390. Obviously the flights from UK to Rome/Athens will be cheaper than those from/to the US

Thank you, assume that is a pp cost

1 hour ago, shipboy said:

11 hours ago, downsmead said:

Thanks. Does anyone know how the conversion is handled for left over OBC. On Azamara it’s determined by the rate applying the day you book your excursions that fixes the exchange rate for the balance but on other lines I’ve seen it be based on rate at booking or rate at embarking- I’m just curious 

8 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Thank you, assume that is a pp cost

Sorry I meant to add that, yes that’s a p/p cost