Late Night Arrival

sissy2000

We will be arriving in Reykjavik for our cruise at 11:30 p.m.  The ship overnights in Reykjavik.  We used Viking Air so they are providing transfers.  I confirmed that they will provide transfers this late and they said yes.  So what will happen when we get to the ship?  Will they check us in that late?  Will they take our luggage straight to our cabin or will we need to take it?  Will probably want to go to bed so I don't want to wait up for luggage delivery--will we need to?  Just curious if anyone who has arrived late before knows how that works.  It is Viking Ocean on the Saturn.  Thanks!

Edited by sissy2000

Based on what we saw in Bermuda two years ago, they'll check you in and take your bags to your cabin. There are staff on duty 24 hours a day in all circumstances, and in port that includes having someone at the gangway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Thank you!  I read that topic but we are not going to a hotel and Viking is providing the transfers.  I am hoping that if we could not board they would be letting me know now that we needed a hotel.

• Like 1

FWIW -- The Viking Air agent that I spoke to when I was sorting stuff out for an itinerary and she told me, "We wouldn't offer the flight itinerary if we couldn't accommodate it". Granted, I don't know how true or untrue it is.

• Like 1

Last year we arrived in Montreal very late (due to a necessary flight change after Hurricane Ian) and were met at the airport by a driver from Viking. We were the only ones that he picked up and he drove us directly to the ship. Once onboard, the check in was done at Guest Services where there were Mimosas and a bowl of apples available. We were checking in around 12:30 am. When we got to our room, our suitcases were waiting for us along with a lovely array of snacks and a bottle of sparkling wine! It was a fantastic way to start our much needed vacation after the stress of experiencing a hurricane. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mike07 said:

FWIW -- The Viking Air agent that I spoke to when I was sorting stuff out for an itinerary and she told me, "We wouldn't offer the flight itinerary if we couldn't accommodate it". Granted, I don't know how true or untrue it is.

Exactly!

Still, even Viking isn't perfect. The folks doing the transfers are contractors and mistakes have been known to happen.

It is okay to contact Viking and ask if you are the only person arriving on that flight.(Don't call. Send an e-mail to tellus@vikingcruises.com). They probably can't tell you names but they should be able to tell you if there are other guest to be picked up or just you.

Have a back-up plan just in case. Ship's phone number so you can call the ship and tell them that you have not been met. If you have to take a cab, get a receipt so you can be reimburse.

Know that a taxi can be quite expensive going from KEF to Reykjavik.  Plan on at least $150 at a minimum.

Seems you are coming in on LH from Frankfurt.  In the 35 minute period around your arrival, there are eight other flights coming in, so the airport will be busy.

Know that an excellent back up plan is to just take the FlyBus into Reykjavik, where you can easily switch to a taxi, or be picked up at the BSI bus station.  That's under $30pp.

• Like 1

Recently when we had a fairly late arrival in Prague we had an email to say that in the very unlikely event that there was no longer a Viking rep still at the airport that we should get a taxi to our destination,get a receipt and present that to the Viking desk for reimbursement 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You all are wonderful!  I will be sure to get port info and the ships number.  I will be emailing to see if we are the only ones and will be looking into a backup plan just in case.  I feel MUCH better about coming in late.  Thank you!

We received the same email as sugarside on our Neptune cruise out of Bergen recently. Upon arrival we checked in at guest services and waited for Mamsens to open to have a late night bite. Unfortunately, Mamsens did not open that night despite it being listed on the schedule, so we ended up ordering room service. Our luggage was delivered to our cabin.

1 hour ago, sissy2000 said:

You all are wonderful!  I will be sure to get port info and the ships number.  I will be emailing to see if we are the only ones and will be looking into a backup plan just in case.  I feel MUCH better about coming in late.  Thank you!

The ship's phone number and email address will be in the documents emailed to you two weeks prior to sailing. If you worked with a Travel Agent they may go to your TA only, who is supposed to forward them to you.

If you don't get the e-mail, call Viking and ask them to send it to you. Sometimes you have to call a couple of times until you find an agent who knows how to do it.

Edited by Peregrina651