Venice hotels and luggage?

Some recommend storing our luggage, others staying near the train station since we will come and go by train. I know another option is taking it on the vaporetto. One of the hotels I like, Rialto, is right by one of their stops. They have also been very responsive to my emails, so they have scored major points already!  Dh just wants to do what’s easiest so IMO that would either be to store luggage or get a room near the train station. It looks like storing luggage would only cost about 20 euros, unless I looked at the wrong location. 

I googled luggage storage near the train station and several popped up. Which one is right by the train station and do we need to reserve ahead of time or can we just show up and get one?  I feel better knowing our luggage would be in lockers and it’s insured, although not for near enough to cover the contents. I pictured a big mess of luggage like you see in airports and cruise terminals, only with employee only access. 

If we decide to stay near the train station, which hotels would you recommend and why?  

Any suggestions, other than Rialto, if we opt to store our luggage?  

Are the checkin/checkout times appropriately the same as in the states?

Have you determined HOW and WHERE you will be arriving to Venice ?

My suggestion would be to look at hotels near Piazzale Roma in case you decide to take an NCL shuttle, AND, hotels near the train station in case you arrive by train.  Have your options reserved so that you can cancel one or the other depending on how you arrive. 

Keep in mind that Trieste is a good 2 hrs away by bus or train. And you need time to get to and board your transportation mode and time afterwards to get to your hotel. So figure on 3 hrs

If you take the train, the Trieste station is a 15-20 minute walk from the ship. OR you can wait for a taxi with a few hundred others 

There's also Flixbus. Their depot is on the same block as the train station and their Venice schedule is either to the airport or to Tronchetto near Piazzale Roma.

The NCL shuttle will most likely drop you at Tronchetto. From there it's a 5 minute ride on the People Mover monorail to Piazzale Roma.

You have so little time in Venice. Even if you're off the ship by 8, it will be 11-12 before you're ready to start exploring.  Makes more sense to find the closest hotel, leave your luggage with the Desk, then head off immediately to start exploring.  Otherwise you're struggling thru crowds with your luggage to find a vaporetto, waiting in line, not enjoying the scenery along the canal because you're busy holding onto your multiple luggage, then fighting the crowds again as you look for your hotel.  Dump the luggage as soon as you can so you can enjoy Venice !

A link for Venice Train Station hotels

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Venezia Santa Lucia train station | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

A link for Piazzale Roma hotels:

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

( When it says 1 small bridge, it is very small, easily manageable.  And I believe you can click on the hotel names to get detailed descriptions.)  

6 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

Have you determined HOW and WHERE you will be arriving to Venice ?

Yes, if we opt to store our luggage, we will take the train from Trieste to get there and again when we leave to go to Rome. This option is probably best because we could spend as much time as we’d like day 2 since luggage would not be a concern.  

My suggestion would be to look at hotels near Piazzale Roma in case you decide to take an NCL shuttle, AND, hotels near the train station in case you arrive by train.  Have your options reserved so that you can cancel one or the other depending on how you arrive. 

What benefit would taking the shuttle provide?  Is it free?  I imagine it would be quite packed with the cruise ship passengers and not sure they could/would accommodate our luggage with most passengers just doing Venice for the day and then heading back to the ship. I haven’t even priced the train yet, just something I planned on, regardless is cost. 

Keep in mind that Trieste is a good 2 hrs away by bus or train. And you need time to get to and board your transportation mode and time afterwards to get to your hotel. So figure on 3 hrs

Yes, I’m aware. That’s why we intend to get a hotel instead of going back to the ship. 

If you take the train, the Trieste station is a 15-20 minute walk from the ship. OR you can wait for a taxi with a few hundred others 

I would walk if the wait for a taxi was longer, but is it a straight, safe walk?  (Safe as in sidewalks, out of the path of cars. If we take the shuttle, does that eliminate this?  

There's also Flixbus. Their depot is on the same block as the train station and their Venice schedule is either to the airport or to Tronchetto near Piazzale Roma.

The NCL shuttle will most likely drop you at Tronchetto. From there it's a 5 minute ride on the People Mover monorail to Piazzale Roma.

It seems like the train sounds the easiest. 

You have so little time in Venice. Even if you're off the ship by 8, it will be 11-12 before you're ready to start exploring.  Makes more sense to find the closest hotel, leave your luggage with the Desk, then head off immediately to start exploring.  Otherwise you're struggling thru crowds with your luggage to find a vaporetto, waiting in line, not enjoying the scenery along the canal because you're busy holding onto your multiple luggage, then fighting the crowds again as you look for your hotel.  Dump the luggage as soon as you can so you can enjoy Venice !

It’s actually starting to sound easiest to store our luggage. 

A link for Venice Train Station hotels

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Venezia Santa Lucia train station | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

A link for Piazzale Roma hotels:

'How Many Bridges?' hotel listings for Piazzale Roma | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

( When it says 1 small bridge, it is very small, easily manageable.  And I believe you can click on the hotel names to get detailed descriptions.)  

Thanks for the links. I don’t see either of the hotels I’m looking at on either list. I found another hotel that looks good on Trip Advisor, Canal Grande, but it looks like it may be much harder to find that the Rialto. I want one that looks like I’m in Venice!  

yes, it's an easy flat walk to the Trieste station. And safe.

I should have said NCL transfer not shuttle.  Probably $50-$60 pp.  Of course it will be crowded, but everyone will have a seat. Your luggage would be stowed beneath. 

The train will be crowded too as many people will prefer to pay $15 for their ride to Venice.  And you won't necessarily get a seat on the train.  Last yr there were complaints that people stood all the way from Venice to Trieste, or only single seats were available, or the luggage storage was full. I avoided that by taking a Frecci train with reserved seating in Business Class.

The Canal Grande is very easy to find. You'll see it as you exit the train station; it's right across the canal. 

You won't need your hotel to remind you that you're in Venice.  It's a rather an overwhelming experience to see Venice the first time.

Edited by mapleleaves

53 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

yes, it's an easy flat walk to the Trieste station. And safe.

That’s good. 

I should have said NCL transfer not shuttle.  Probably $50-$60 pp.  Of course it will be crowded, but everyone will have a seat. Your luggage would be stowed beneath. 

The train will be crowded too as many people will prefer to pay $15 for their ride to Venice.  And you won't necessarily get a seat on the train.  Last yr there were complaints that people stood all the way from Venice to Trieste, or only single seats were available, or the luggage storage was full. I avoided that by taking a Frecci train with reserved seating.

Is the Frecci train right there as well?  Could we buy assigned seating when we arrive?  I have no idea what time we’ll be able to disembark.  I certainly wouldn’t want to stand for two hours when we plan to walk around Venice all day and night!  Maybe the NCL transfer would be a better option. But then we would arrive one place and leave from another making our luggage a possible issue. 

The Canal Grande is very easy to find. You'll see it as you exit the train station; it's right across the canal. 

So this would be a convenient location?  

You won't need your hotel to remind you that you're in Venice.  It's a rather an overwhelming experience to see Venice the first time.

I’m so excited!  I’ve always wanted to see Italy!!  I have no idea which place I will like best. I hope I’m not missing what could potentially be one of my favorite areas, by not including Florence/Tuscany.   I always wanted to visit a beautiful vineyard there, but it doesn’t look like we will have time. Currently it looks like (not including port visits while cruising) we will spend:

Venice - apx 24 hours

Rome - 3 days

Amalfi Coast - not sure yet, but probably a couple days, but I’d love to stay longer.  Uncertain if we will do day trips from Sorrento or stay somewhere along the coast. Someone on here mentioned a nice little hotel in Praiano that looks great, but others have said it’s much cheaper to stay in Sorrento and do day trips.  From what little research I’ve done, it looks beautiful there too. When things starts opening up for booking in a couple months, I will have a better idea. Who knows, maybe I will convince him to spend a night or two in Tuscany and/or Florence before we fly home. I might as well put it in my plan before presenting it to him. He may completely break my heart and tell me I’ve over some budget he hasn’t even set yet.  

I know it seems as if I’m planning this way too early, but my plan is this. I have a binder with tabs for everyplace we are going. The cover of the binder says it’s our 30th anniversary trip. ❤️ I’m typing up what I want to do and where to stay for each location, including port stops on the two cruises. I will give him a ballpark of known costs (hotels, trains, excursions, which some are already booked, sites, plane tickets, etc). From there he will either approve it (highly doubtful!) and I will start making reservations, or start eliminating what is either too expensive or lower priority.  

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

23 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Some recommend storing our luggage, others staying near the train station since we will come and go by train. I know another option is taking it on the vaporetto. One of the hotels I like, Rialto, is right by one of their stops. They have also been very responsive to my emails, so they have scored major points already!  Dh just wants to do what’s easiest so IMO that would either be to store luggage or get a room near the train station. It looks like storing luggage would only cost about 20 euros, unless I looked at the wrong location. 

I googled luggage storage near the train station and several popped up. Which one is right by the train station and do we need to reserve ahead of time or can we just show up and get one?  I feel better knowing our luggage would be in lockers and it’s insured, although not for near enough to cover the contents. I pictured a big mess of luggage like you see in airports and cruise terminals, only with employee only access. 

If we decide to stay near the train station, which hotels would you recommend and why?  

Any suggestions, other than Rialto, if we opt to store our luggage?  

Are the checkin/checkout times appropriately the same as in the states?

I stayed at Hotel Rialto and took a private water taxi. Walked maybe 50 feet or less to door.  One Vaporetto stop was close and no stairs required.  Another stop there was a small bridge and some steps.  

Rialto let me check in early but they will store luggage.  Do NOT book the smallest room.  Well, you can't anyway since it would have a single bed. Book a larger room, you'll be happier. )  😄

I had friends stay at the AC Hotel by Marriott. It's  reachable via bus or taxi as it's on Piazzale Roma.  They loved it 

We flew into Venice for our trip in June, Staying at the Hotel Arlecchino in the Piazzale Roma area worked well for us. I wanted to be able to drop off luggage as soon as possible, so we went right to the hotel from the airport (landed at 9 am). We used the ATVO bus for transport, and the bus had storage for luggage beneath the seating, so no issues with transporting luggage. 

One of our rooms was available when we arrived at the hotel at 11, so we were able to store our luggage in the room and start exploring Venice.  She did not disappoint - we loved our 2 days in Venice! 

The Venice train station is very near the Piazzale Roma, so it was an easy transport to the train when we departed for Bologna.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2023 at 1:40 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Maybe the NCL transfer would be a better option. But then we would arrive one place and leave from another making our luggage a possible issue. 

Just a comment on your Trieste to Venice transfer.  If you arrive by road, you end in Piazzale Roma.  If you come by train, you end up at the Santa Lucia Station, just across a bridge (short walk) from Piazzale Roma.  It makes very little difference if you arrive in one and leave from the other.

You are (wisely) leaving the ship one day before the end of the cruise.  "Transfers" by bus are one-way and usually arranged on the last day of the cruise.  Traveling by bus to Venice on the day you leave, will probably be called "Venice on your own" round-trip excursion and probably costs more than the "transfer."  However it is called, you will be able to store your luggage in the hold underneath the bus.  You are simply not going back to the ship.  

There is a small chance that a one-way "transfer" will be arranged the day before for possibly a slightly lower price if enough people decide to leave the ship early.  I would sign up for the "Venice on Your Own" to make sure you have a place and then discuss the details of not returning to the ship or a possible one-way fare only when you are on board.  As they told you, they are not going to stop you from leaving.  Going by bus would be more convenient and quicker than going to the train station to get the train.

We have been to Venice many times. (Since 1970 I think).  Have always taken a water taxi to the hotel so we don't have to deal with luggage on the vaporetti.   Yes it is expensive.  (Budget around 100€ or more.) But it makes things so much easier.  Water taxis are easy to find at the station (Venezia S.L.) - right in front of the station and marked "Taxi".  If arriving by road (could be on a ship's shuttle) they are close to the Piazzale Roma on the Fondamente Sta Chiara.  There is a ramp down to the water...   Once we are in Venice we either walk or take the vaporetti.     We'll be there next May when we leave the Vista in Trieste and I plan to get a car transfer to the Piazzale Roma and taxi on from there.