Filling Vacant Cabins Two Weeks before departure ??

I had heard that either Regent or Oceania has a program for frequent cruisers who could travel at short notice - 2 weeks.. Now that we are retired and could leave on 1-2 weeks notice, I am trying to find out if it is the truth.

Basically I know that if you are on a waiting list for a cruise, you get called up to fill vacancies.. But if they ship is two weeks away from sailing and there are still a few cabin vacancies, is there a way they reach out to interested cruisers with a sweeter than normal deal for two?  

If Regent or Oceania don't have such a process, does anyone know of other cruise lines that do that?

Thanks

Happens occassionally; just not in USA, Canada, UK, and probably Oz and NZ; lowest price onboard booking guarantee gets in the way.  That is why Regent will dump inventory overseas.  One cruise a large number of Spaniards and a later cruise over 100 out of Hong Kong.  

Edited by mrlevin

Just once, immediately post CV we had an email with a really great last minute offer to board Splendor for a short, 7 night round trip cruise from Athens to Istanbul and return. When the email arrived, we looked at one another and said "Why not?" and jumped at it. We had a great cruise, Splendor was pretty new and there were a lot of (we think) travel agents on board, plus some regular clients like us. But it's only happened that once and I'm not sure of the circumstances that led to it. That was a very strange time as far as travel was concerned and things were just getting back together again.  It would be fun to do such things again though!

17 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Happens occassionally; just not in USA, Canada, UK, and probably Oz and NZ; lowest price onboard booking guarantee gets in the way.  That is why Regent will dump inventory overseas.  One cruise a large number of Spaniards and a later cruise over 100 out of Hong Kong.  

I am under the impression that the lowest price guarantee expires after final payment. 

I seem to recall a live thread about a cruise post-COVID where there were a bunch of Brits who had booked a “bargain” cruise. The poster was not amused by their antics. 

I have received some last minute (not two weeks out, but six weeks out) from my TA - it appears that Regent (as well as other cruise lines) do not want these deals "advertised" for fear of alienating the regular paying passengers, but they do provide some of their high producing agents "special deals" that are never advertised - rather the TA sends a rather generic email stating that there are some deals for last minute cruises and to call for details. I have utilized this a few times, but be aware your suite may not be in your first choice location, or your first choice flight selection and all of the better excursions may be sold out, but may be available once you board ship. I have also taken advantage of these special offer from Crystal - that was booked three weeks before departure. Also, some deals may be country specific - offers available to UK residents may not be available to US residents and visa versa. My understanding is that any TA can book these deals but that there are first offered to the top producing agents.

I have been cruising with Regent for many years and the only time I became aware of these deals is when I changed to one of Regent's highest producing agents - my other agents claim they never received such offers but I do not know exactly how the program works and who is offered what.

These are not fire sale prices, but do represent a significant savings.

• Thanks 1