Dance classes

Jayhoaps

8 hours ago, Projunior said:

I do appreciate that Princess conducts dance classes. However, I wish they would endeavor to build on the classes with follow-up activities, a chance for those in the class to practice what they learned as well as to strut their stuff. For example, if a ballroom class teaches rumba, salsa, tango or whatever in the afternoon, then it would be nice to have the instructor conclude the class by saying, "This evening in Club Fusion we will play a wide variety of danceable music but with a special emphasis on ...", rumba, salsa, tango or whatever.

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe it makes too much sense for them to do it. 🤣

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Projunior said:

I do appreciate that Princess conducts dance classes. However, I wish they would endeavor to build on the classes with follow-up activities, a chance for those in the class to practice what they learned as well as to strut their stuff. For example, if a ballroom class teaches rumba, salsa, tango or whatever in the afternoon, then it would be nice to have the instructor conclude the class by saying, "This evening in Club Fusion we will play a wide variety of danceable music but with a special emphasis on ...", rumba, salsa, tango or whatever.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

That makes a lot of sense. Maybe it makes too much sense for them to do it. 🤣

That is a pretty good idea.  I guess we have to consider those 10 or 20 in the tango dance class may or may not be representative of the other 2,000+ passengers.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

That is a pretty good idea.  I guess we have to consider those 10 or 20 in the tango dance class may or may not be representative of the other 2,000+ passengers.   

I would think that tango classes are not very likely. Salsa or fox trot classes or maybe rhumba or meringue classes would be much more likely.

On 7/18/2023 at 7:16 PM, Projunior said:

The Hawaii cruise on The Royal in Nov, we learned  line dances in class , later that evening in the Piazza (which is the dance club because there isn't one on The Royal  ) many from the class showed what we  learned.  Loads of fun!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saymyname said:

The Hawaii cruise on The Royal in Nov, we learned  line dances in class , later that evening in the Piazza (which is the dance club because there isn't one on The Royal  ) many from the class showed what we  learned.  Loads of fun!!!!!

That sounds awesome. What time of day did you have the line dance classes? 

Line dancing class (one) on a 7 day Emerald voyage was at 12:30.  Right in the middle of lunch.  Dance classes are usually only offered on sea days.

Pre Pandemic, some ships/voyages announced that there would be time to “practice” in the Explore’s Lounge that night.  “Gone with the Wind”.  Just like dance hosts.  

Very basic waltz, fox trot, East Coast swing, rhumba, salsa, merengue, cha cha are taught.  

1 minute ago, Jayhoaps said:

On 7/18/2023 at 7:16 PM, Projunior said:

On 7/19/2023 at 11:43 PM, Jayhoaps said:

Start time was 1 pm or 1:30 pm ( 45 minutes)     It was over by the time Tea started, which is 3 pm 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2023 at 3:15 PM, ontheweb said:

I would think that tango classes are not very likely. Salsa or fox trot classes or maybe rhumba or meringue classes would be much more likely.

As it turns out, tango lessons are not quite as unlikely as you speculated. This is from my Sapphire cruise in Alaska in August...

TangoOnSapphire-30-Box.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 9:16 PM, Projunior said:

Often there is an announcement that the particular type of ballroom dance will be featured in a venue.  For Ruby Princess and her sister ships that venue is typically the Wheelhouse Bar, where there is a small dance floor.  You might have to request the type of dance from the band.   Club Fusion may also include ballroom dance using recorded music with some variety in types of dance music, usually scheduled early evening.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Times Prince said:

Often there is an announcement that the particular type of ballroom dance will be featured in a venue.

This has not been our experience on any of the 12 Princess cruises we have taken. I don't know if the announcement you referred to is over the PA system or in the Patter, but we have never once encountered either type.

We are familiar with the Wheelhouse Bar and typically enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail there. However, on our last two cruises, both on Grand class ships, Ruby and Sapphire, the music in there was so undanceable that requesting anything seemed pointless.

• Like 1