Alaska - 7-Day Voyage of the Glaciers (Northbound)

tonymc

Hi,

We are planning on taking this cruise next June on board Sapphire Princess. I appreciate there is an existing post which has covered some of the questions I have, but I have another couple of my own, so here goes!!

1.       The cruise info states that the ship arrives in Anchorage (Whittier) at just after midnight on the Saturday. As the same ship doesn’t leave until 8:30pm on the same day, I’m 99% sure that we wouldn’t be disembarking in the early hours of the morning, but would be grateful for confirmation that it would be a more “normal” disembarkation time around 08:00-10:00.

2.       On arrival in Anchorage, we were considering one of the 3 night add-on land tours that Princess offer. If anyone has taken one of these tours (Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge/Mt. Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge/Anchorage or Fairbanks), are they worth the extra or is it better arranging to DIY it (car rental and hotel)?

3.       On the same topic, is Anchorage or Fairbanks better to end the tour with regard to the final overnight stay? We will be flying back to Seattle with both airports having direct flights, albeit Anchorage has a greater number, so not too bothered from a flight perspective. More interested in which of the two is better for an evening.

As ever, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Edited by tonymc

I believe they start disembarking for cruise tours around 6 am, others slightly later. Though yes, the normal disembarkment starts the following morning. 6 am would be the earliest time off. The distance from the glacier the day before (usually College Fiords) is right there so they dock in the middle of the night.

I would avoid a 3 night land tour. Distances are great - you will be spending more time in transit than doing anything else. If you can pull off a week land tour, that would be best. I would post on CC for tour ideas or independent tours. Maybe do a 3-4 night on your own visiting Seward, AK and around that area.

I personally would skip Fairbanks, especially if you have limited time and fly out of Anchorage. 

Here are links to the dedicated Alaska board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

• Like 2

Let me provide some additional guidance.

1) Yes, you disembark at 'normal' hours.

2) I strongly encourage you to try to do a longer land portion. We did the 6 night 'Off the Beaten Track' spending two nights at the Kenai Princess lodge, 2 nights at Denali and 1 night at McKinley before returning to Anchorage by rail and staying there for a night. Princess does a wonderful job on these land tours.  For a first time to Alaska it really makes the process pleasant.  The land portion is totally worth it and Anchorage is way better in terms of evening activities with a number of solids restaurants/bars, etc.  They'll likely have you staying downtown at the Captain Cook, a solid hotel.

3) I absolutely would consider touring Alaska by myself in an RV. But for such a trip I likely wouldn't be doing a cruise and would simply fly up there with rentals and an itinerary in mind. I am an experienced camper. There are also numerous lodges scattered around that provide accommodations. I would save that for a second, longer visit.  The best way to get a 'taste' is a cruise/land package.

I see that you are from the UK and must assume you are traveling half way around the world..  In your case, I would certainly cruise/land tour on your first visit. Linger as long as you can; it's a stunning place you may never see again. Enjoy.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

Many thanks jsglow. Unfortunately we don't have more than 3 days post cruise as we are visiting friends in Seattle, but whatever we decide it sounds as if Anchorage may be the place to end up. Thanks again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tonymc said:

Many thanks jsglow. Unfortunately we don't have more than 3 days post cruise as we are visiting friends in Seattle, but whatever we decide it sounds as if Anchorage may be the place to end up. Thanks again.

You could rent a car and drive to Seward, spend the night and then back to Anchorage if your time is that limited. If you don't feel comfortable driving (being from the UK and the opposite side of the street) - there is a great train ride to Seward from Anchorage but it leaves at 6:45 am and you wouldn't be able to get from Whittier to Anchorage to catch it that day. Maybe go to Anchorage, spend the night, take the 6:45 am train to Seward - explore Seward, spend the night, spend the next day exploring Seward (small town but lots to do) and then take the evening train back to Anchorage. Catch the flight that night or the following day from Anchorage to Seattle. 

The Alaska board is a wealth of knowledge. Good luck planning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonymc said:

As I think you are coming to appreciate, Alaska is HUGE so avoiding wasting time trying to travel too far should be forefront in your calculations. With the limit of 3 nights on land after disembarking in Whittier, I would do one of two things: 1) land portion one way straight north with a night at McKinley, a night at Denali and a night in Fairbanks(either by train/bus; there are multiple configurations available) before flying to Seattle OR I would concentrate my trip on the Kenai Pennisula (perhaps the Kenai Princess lodge) before ending up in Anchorage. Both are stunningly gorgeous and avoid having you backtrack.  

4 minutes ago, jsglow said:

As I think you are coming to appreciate, Alaska is HUGE so avoiding wasting time trying to travel too far should be forefront in your calculations. With the limit of 3 nights on land after disembarking in Whittier, I would do one of two things: 1) land portion one way straight north with a night at McKinley, a night at Denali and a night in Fairbanks(either by train/bus; there are multiple configurations available) before flying to Seattle OR I would concentrate my trip on the Kenai Pennisula (perhaps the Kenai Princess lodge) before ending up in Anchorage. Both are stunningly gorgeous and avoid having you backtrack.  

If they do the 3 nights and go to Fairbanks - they are going to be traveling the entire time and barely see anything in the towns they sleep in.

I have not been to Kenai Princess Lodge but I believe it is pretty isolated. I think it is an hour to Seward (and not sure about transportation from the lodge there). They would be best to just spend time in Seward. If they can rent a car in Anchorage and get to Seward, great. I personally am not a fan of driving on the opposite side of the street on vacations. Otherwise, the train from Anchorage to Seward - maybe there is a bus - maybe a great option and just hang out in Anchorage and Seward.

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

If they do the 3 nights and go to Fairbanks - they are going to be traveling the entire time and barely see anything in the towns they sleep in.

I have not been to Kenai Princess Lodge but I believe it is pretty isolated. I think it is an hour to Seward (and not sure about transportation from the lodge there). They would be best to just spend time in Seward. If they can rent a car in Anchorage and get to Seward, great. I personally am not a fan of driving on the opposite side of the street on vacations. Otherwise, the train from Anchorage to Seward - maybe there is a bus - maybe a great option and just hang out in Anchorage and Seward.

Not to get into a disagreement Coral but I've been to all these places and one way to Fairbanks is absolutely doable in the time frame outlined. Anchorage to Fairbanks is 6+ hours. That's 2+ hours transport per day. And remember, in June the sun is up like 18 hours! Princess does this land route continuously all summer long. It's one of their most popular packages.  What I'm cautioning the OP not to do is to go all the way to Denali and then come all the way back to Anchorage retracing their steps. The fact that they can make good flight arrangements out of Fairbanks is key.  Not everyone can.

And while you are correct that the Princess Kenai Lodge is perhaps an hour from Seward itself, we did a wonderful day long excursion down there and that was enough. Another alternative would be to do an excursion to Homer but that's significantly further away.  What I'm really trying to do is to minimize the OP's logistics.  Both Princess and HAL are absolutely world class at moving folks painlessly through Alaska. Being able to get on a train or motor coach right at the port in Whittier is efficiency personified.

2 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Not to get into a disagreement Coral but I've been to all these places and one way to Fairbanks is absolutely doable in the time frame outlined. Anchorage to Fairbanks is 6+ hours. That's 2+ hours transport per day. And remember, in June the sun is up like 18 hours! Princess does this land route continuously all summer long. It's one of their most popular packages.  What I'm cautioning the OP not to do is to go all the way to Denali and then come all the way back to Anchorage retracing their steps. The fact that they can make good flight arrangements out of Fairbanks is key.  Not everyone can.

And while you are correct that the Princess Kenai Lodge is perhaps an hour from Seward itself, we did a wonderful day long excursion down there and that was enough. Another alternative would be to do an excursion to Homer but that's significantly further away.  What I'm really trying to do is to minimize the OP's logistics.  Both Princess and HAL are absolutely world class at moving folks painlessly through Alaska. Being able to get on a train or motor coach right at the port in Whittier is efficiency personified.

I agree about trying not to disagree. The Alaska board if full of complaints about Princess and HAL's 3 day tours. Yes, it can be done. Though should it be done? Is one better off spending more time on the road or enjoying time at the places they can go closer. I think 2 days is ideal in Seward - one day on a boat ride and the other day exploring some of the other items in Seward (Ididaride, Exit Glacier, hikes around the area, Sealife center). My friend who did stay in Princess Kenai Lodge had her tour cancelled and was stuck at the Lodge. They had no tours to Seward the day she was there. Her stay there was a waste of time.

49 minutes ago, Coral said:

The Alaska board if full of complaints about Princess and HAL's 3 day tours. Yes, it can be done. Though should it be done?

We agree. Unfortunately the OP is necessarily limited. I honestly am not sure how I would handle that constraint if I had one lifetime shot.

And as you know, the boards are full of complaints about everything.

With only three days post cruise, I would also suggest to the OP to explore spending the time in Seward and save Denali for another trip (and for when the road is completed!).  
And DIY!

OP, I would look into taking the earliest transfer from the ship to Anchorage.  Once in Anchorage, rent a car and drive to Seward for a few nights.  In Seward, you can visit Exit Glacier, take a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise (longer the better!), kayak in Resurrection Bay, visit a sled dog kennel, hike in a glacier…..lots to do!  In addition, there are some pretty good restaurants in town.  I wouldn’t waste time driving/staying in Homer or the Kenai Princess Lodge.  You will want to spend the majority of your time IN Alaska, not DRIVING in Alaska!  You can visit the Alaska Wildlife Center on the drive to/from Seward as well as other scenic outlooks.  You can have a fantastic Alaskan experience on the Kenai Peninsula!

If you’d rather not rent a car, then I would chose a transfer to Anchorage that includes a stop at the wildlife center (and other scenic stops).  There are a number of companies who offer these types of transfers (our favorite is Salmon Berry Tours).  Once in Anchorage, spend the night and take the morning train to Seward.  You arrive at 11 am in time for a Kenai Fjord wildlife cruise.  I would look into Major Marine—they have a package that includes the cruise and hotel.  Stay in town at a hotel since you won’t have a car.  There are shuttles to Exit Glacier, one can visit the sea life center or book kayaking/canoes/sled dog tours.  Then take the train back to Anchorage for a flight home.  (You can get around easily without a car—we’ve done it a couple of times).

Enjoy your planning.

• Like 1

Many thanks to you all - some great ideas there. I have no problems in driving away from home, and we will be renting a car for our visit to Vancouver Island before we embark on the ship, and in Seattle when we fly back, so this may be a good option.

17 hours ago, disneyochem said:

With only three days post cruise, I would also suggest to the OP to explore spending the time in Seward and save Denali for another trip (and for when the road is completed!).  
And DIY!

OP, I would look into taking the earliest transfer from the ship to Anchorage.  Once in Anchorage, rent a car and drive to Seward for a few nights.  In Seward, you can visit Exit Glacier, take a Kenai Fjords wildlife cruise (longer the better!), kayak in Resurrection Bay, visit a sled dog kennel, hike in a glacier…..lots to do!  In addition, there are some pretty good restaurants in town.  I wouldn’t waste time driving/staying in Homer or the Kenai Princess Lodge.  You will want to spend the majority of your time IN Alaska, not DRIVING in Alaska!  You can visit the Alaska Wildlife Center on the drive to/from Seward as well as other scenic outlooks.  You can have a fantastic Alaskan experience on the Kenai Peninsula!

If you’d rather not rent a car, then I would chose a transfer to Anchorage that includes a stop at the wildlife center (and other scenic stops).  There are a number of companies who offer these types of transfers (our favorite is Salmon Berry Tours).  Once in Anchorage, spend the night and take the morning train to Seward.  You arrive at 11 am in time for a Kenai Fjord wildlife cruise.  I would look into Major Marine—they have a package that includes the cruise and hotel.  Stay in town at a hotel since you won’t have a car.  There are shuttles to Exit Glacier, one can visit the sea life center or book kayaking/canoes/sled dog tours.  Then take the train back to Anchorage for a flight home.  (You can get around easily without a car—we’ve done it a couple of times).

Enjoy your planning.

I agree with all of this! There are free shuttles within Seward so if you choose not to get a car, you will be fine in Seward. Just stay in town.