Vpn that works on silver moon?

bitob

3 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

I've used NordVPN for 2+ years now and like it so I plan to keep it.  Will look into getting a VypyrVPN  1 month subscription ($10) for the month of my cruise next year.  Need to look into vypyrVPN policies more closely.  All VPN providers are not equal.

I am keeping nord. I just booked VyprVPN for a month. Will cancel when I disembark and join again for qm2. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

You never know when one will come in handy. I can give you two examples where I would have been in much more of a mess without one, just in the past two years.

One: we were in Paris in March, getting ready to come home in March 2022. We had brought Binax self-tests in order to do the Covid RAD within 24h of entering the US. Idiot me...didn't realize that the test needed me to download and install an app so I could use it! No problem, I can download it now. Wrong! The app was not licensed to be installed outside of the US! So I could not download it while I was in France. Solution? I turned on my VPN, switched to a US location, and downloaded the app flawlessly.

Two: I made a wrong turn while driving a rental car in Italy in June 2022, and ended up in a city center where I could not drive without a resident permit. Eleven months later, they sent me a fine. There was a website to pay it online - handy! But I could not access the website at all. So I turned on my VPN and set it to Italy, accessed the website, and paid the fine online. And since I paid it within 5 days of the notification, I saved 30%! What a bargain, and I couldn't have done it without my VPN. (PS I paid it with PayPal so I got AMEX points for my troubles - bargains galore...)

I don't use it all the time, and furthermore, when you're on board a SS vessel, the VPN seems to block the onboard web-based interface where you can see things about your cruise (the website that some call an "app"). That took me a while to figure out. But there are times when it's a life saver.

Yes I can see how it would be helpful to a hapless soul like you JP.😀

I would have used a private medical facility and a chauffeur so no need for one of those cyber security thingys 😀

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bitob said:

I am keeping nord. I just booked VyprVPN for a month. Will cancel when I disembark and join again for qm2. 

Have you tried NordVPN using Obfuscated servers on the ship?  VPN blockers may be looking for certain things in protocol headers of the packets.  Obfuscated servers are supposed to mask the packets as standard HTTPS.  Depending on your device, you may need to change the VPN protocol to OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN(UDP).    Then choose one of the Obfuscated servers form the list.

Edited by Winemaker_1

1 hour ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Have you tried NordVPN using Obfuscated servers on the ship?  VPN blockers may be looking for certain things in protocol headers of the packets.  Obfuscated servers are supposed to mask the packets as standard HTTPS.  Depending on your device, you may need to change the VPN protocol to OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN(UDP).    Then choose one of the Obfuscated servers form the list.

Never heard of that but I will make a note. 
nord has worked on regent no problem. First time I had issue on silversea

Need to look into vypyrVPN policies more closely.  All VPN providers are not equal.

True, especially when it comes to privacy on THEIR end!

IiRC, vypyr is one of the 'good guys'.

• Like 1

@bitob and @Mr Luxury:

Maybe the link below will work.  It's the general article discussing the differences between DoubleVPN, Onion, Obfuscated, etc..  There is a link within describing more details on Obfuscated which is what I tried to post originally.  I really think this should work on the ship.

https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/Features/1047407962/What-do-the-different-NordVPN-server-categories-mean.htm

Edited by Winemaker_1

@bitob and @Mr Luxury:

Maybe the link below will work.  It's the general article discussing the differences between DoubleVPN, Onion, Obfuscated, etc..  There is a link within describing more details on Obfuscated which is what I tried to post originally.  I really think this should work on the ship.

https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/Features/1047407962/What-do-the-different-NordVPN-server-categories-mean.htm

Let me find an 8 year old to help me understand. 
thx

• Haha 1

@bitob, @Mr Luxury:  you're hilarious.  It's actually not that complicated.  Obfuscated servers hide the encryption VPNs produce on the packets sent to the internet such that they look like normal (non-VPN) packets.  Therefore they avoid the VPN blockades set up by countries, SS, etc.  Here's a step by step to try on the ship attached below for Nord VPN but I'd imagine its similar for other VPN that support Obfuscated servers:

1.  Go to Preferences -> General and change the protocol setting to OpenVPN(TCP) or OpenVPN(UDP).  You'll get pop-up telling you that it will need to reconnect.  That's fine.

2.  Now when you go to choose a VPN country scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see an option that says Obfuscated and an ellipsis menu (three dots) next to it.  Click the three dots to bring up the options to select an Obfuscated VPN server.

3.  That's it - now your transactions not only have the VPN encryption but also a second layer being applied to hide that they are VPN-encrypted transactions.  This is what should evade the VPN blockers.  screenshot1.thumb.jpg.13b796cab8c1f7474bb2848462de071f.jpgScreenshot2.thumb.jpg.78a0bec1685bf6fabd95ee288209bb87.jpg