Drink Package and Water Question

PixieMom3

4 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

You tip for water?  So now it becomes clear why the ship doesn't provide proper self-serve water.

I worked my way through college & grad school.  If the bartender is taking time to provide you the service of getting you water, especially to fill up a large reusable water container, far larger than an 8 oz bar glass, that bartender is not serving customers who are buying drinks for which there is a tip.  So yes, I give $1.   

I do agree the ships should have better self serve water options.  I would use them if they existed 

1 hour ago, trish1c said:

I worked my way through college & grad school.   So yes, I give $1.   

Let's see, I was an overnight janitor at a movie theatre for a while during college, does that count as "working my way through?"  So with that background am I allowed to have the opinion that tipping for water is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard of?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trish1c said:

Yes, @MacGuffin3 just because I chose to do that does not mean anybody else has to.  

Feel free, just taking issue with your implication that those of us who don't (which I would guess is the vast majority) have no idea what it's like to work hard for a living.

I thought that I had read somewhere that the gym has a bottle filling stations, but I don't know for sure as I have a huge problem with going to the gym on vacation and in general! 😁

I do ask the bartender to fill my water bottles with ice and water and I tip him for this service.

In March they were allowing us back on ship with open water bottles from our excursions and did not make us dump them out, but it was also very hot in The Caribbean so maybe that is why?

Next week for Greece our excursions tell us to bring refillable water bottles to keep hydrated, so we will see!

Maybe I will check out the gym and see if there really is a bottle refill station in there and keep you posted!

On 7/25/2023 at 8:19 AM, trish1c said:

No you can't bring bottled water on period.  If your refillable drink containers still contain liquid when you get back aboard ship in a port you will have to pour them out.   There will be huge rain barrels for the dumping. 

YMMV on this.  We were just on the Getaway in the Mediterranean and there was absolutely no dumping of any liquid at all.  And we always had an assortment of partially full water bottles in our group.

On 7/18/2023 at 1:08 PM, puddle said:

Hi, we have Free at Sea, but not the soda package.  Does this mean I can get coke/pepsi or maybe Fanta from the 'gun' included in my Free at Sea?  I won't want any alcohol with it, I'm teetotal 😊  Thank you

If you don’t drink alcohol, you should consider declining the FAS drink package.  The gratuity you pay on the package translates to ~2 alcoholic drinks per day to break even.  If you only drink soda, you might be better off buying the soda package instead.  

15 minutes ago, chiefy_mom said:

you might be better off buying the soda package instead.  

Well unless you can "downgrade" and not have to pay an additional $10 to switch, you would be saving only $10. Daily tips on the booze package are $22. Tips on the pop package would be $2. (Not considering what was baked into the price you originally paid for the trip) With the full package you can probably get fancy "mocktails" if you're into those, which I imagine you can't with the $10 pop package.

Edited by MacGuffin3