Drink Package and Water Question

PixieMom3

This might be a dumb question but does the Free at Sea drink package include drinks like margaritas, pina coladas, etc? 

I understand that that package doesn’t include bottled water and read somewhere that you can’t bring bottled water on when you board. Are you allowed to bring on bottled water if you buy some in a port?  We are planning on bringing our own water containers, will they fill these up for us if we go to a bar? 

Thanks in advance for your help.  

2 minutes ago, PixieMom3 said:

This might be a dumb question but does the Free at Sea drink package include drinks like margaritas, pina coladas, etc?   Yes!

I understand that that package doesn’t include bottled water and read somewhere that you can’t bring bottled water on when you board. Are you allowed to bring on bottled water if you buy some in a port?  We are planning on bringing our own water containers, will they fill these up for us if we go to a bar? 

NO bottled water may be brough onboard!  You may fill your own containers either in your room, at the buffet (use a separate clean cup to fill your container), or possibly some bartenders will be kind enough to fill your containers.  (Tipping said bartender would be appropriate!)

Edited by ggTexasGal
added

19 minutes ago, PixieMom3 said:

This might be a dumb question but does the Free at Sea drink package include drinks like margaritas, pina coladas, etc? 

Thanks in advance for your help.  

The beverage package pays the first $15 of drinks. That includes all mentioned. If your drink exceeds $15 (which is hard with standard bar drinks), you pay the difference plus gratuity on the difference. So if your drink costs $16, you pay $1.00+$0.20=$1.20. 

You are not allowed to bring water, soda, sports drinks onboard. Anywhere. 

IMG_5521.jpeg

IMG_5522.jpeg

IMG_5523.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

IMG_5526.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 2

One of the oddities of the FAS beverage package is that it does not include any bottled water, even if you ask for it by the glass at a bar.  I normally drink a lot of Pellegrino at home and it is strange that NCL charges extra for a mineral water that is obviously much cheaper than a $15 cocktail.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.   Oh well, I was "forced" to drink sparkling wine instead so not much of a hardship!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PixieMom3 said:

We are planning on bringing our own water containers, will they fill these up for us if we go to a bar? 

Yes they will.  Or go to the buffet and use the provided glasses to transfer ice and water to your container(s).  I've even filled right from the sink in my room, no problem.

8 minutes ago, PixieMom3 said:

Thanks everyone.  Looks like the whiskey my husband likes is $23 so I guess we will have a few $8 (plus gratuity) charges.  

and here I am thinking just the opposite....that I'll drink something different for a few days.

7 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Oh well, I was "forced" to drink sparkling wine instead so not much of a hardship!

Sounds fair.  If they're not going to give us water unless we add Scotch to it, they should expect no less.

You can't get bottles /boxes of water free. If you want soda from the beverage 'gun' at any of the bars, that will not incur an extra charge.  Given how much I get through on a cruise that's a much better deal than $5.50 per bottle of San Pellegrino.

42 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Don't forget that many ports charge an additional tax on drinks while in port. There have been many "spirited" discussions on this topic on CC.

If its a US cruise, its only the departure port.  

27 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

If its a US cruise, its only the departure port.  

Unless that cruise starts in NY and visits Orlando (Royal has a route that does this, not sure if NCL does).

NCL HAS had Bermuda routes that stopped in Norfolk, or the Canada/NE routes that leave NY and call in Boston, Portland and Bar Harbor.  Pacific Coastal cruises that leave LA and stop in San Francisco.  Alaska cruises that leave Seattle or Vancouver and stop in many places in Alaska. 

Are you saying that when in all of those ports NCL doesn't charge/collect taxes on beverages?

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Unless that cruise starts in NY and visits Orlando (Royal has a route that does this, not sure if NCL does).

NCL HAS had Bermuda routes that stopped in Norfolk, or the Canada/NE routes that leave NY and call in Boston, Portland and Bar Harbor.  Pacific Coastal cruises that leave LA and stop in San Francisco.  Alaska cruises that leave Seattle or Vancouver and stop in many places in Alaska. 

Are you saying that when in all of those ports NCL doesn't charge/collect taxes on beverages?

No tax in Alaska

1 hour ago, Maleficent's Dad said:

I got off of the Joy one week ago.  We were taxed in NY (departure port) and then again in Port Canaveral, the second port.  So it wasn't only the departure port for us.

You are correct.  I forgot about the cruises that have another stop in the US other than Alaska.  

Dumb follow up question - if I don't have the drink package, do they charge for club soda at the bar? What about in Haven?

I don't mind paying for a few, and obviously I would tip on each, but just curious what the cost would be. I'm also happy to drink plain water in my own reusable bottle. 

21 hours ago, slakko said:

You can't get bottles /boxes of water free. If you want soda from the beverage 'gun' at any of the bars, that will not incur an extra charge.  Given how much I get through on a cruise that's a much better deal than $5.50 per bottle of San Pellegrino.

Hi, we have Free at Sea, but not the soda package.  Does this mean I can get coke/pepsi or maybe Fanta from the 'gun' included in my Free at Sea?  I won't want any alcohol with it, I'm teetotal 😊  Thank you

15 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Dumb follow up question - if I don't have the drink package, do they charge for club soda at the bar? What about in Haven?

Yes. And Yes. There are no discounts or freebies in the Haven. The Haven bar serves with the same rules as every other bar on the ship. 

4 minutes ago, puddle said:

Hi, we have Free at Sea, but not the soda package.  Does this mean I can get coke/pepsi or maybe Fanta from the 'gun' included in my Free at Sea?  I won't want any alcohol with it, I'm teetotal 😊  Thank you

Yes. All fountain drinks are included in the Beverage package. And NCL has switched to Coke products, exclusively. 

Exclusions: Does not include Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions, Connoisseur Collection beverages, bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. All fountain drinks are included in the Beverage package. And NCL has switched to Coke products, exclusively. 

Exclusions: Does not include Wine and Spirit Experiences, tastings or flights, Starbucks, Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions, Connoisseur Collection beverages, bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

Thank you so much.

• Bring 5 or 6 empty water bottles and fill them up in your cabin sink. I like my water cool, so I put them in the fridge and drink them and refill them throughout the cruise. I also keep a few cold beers in the fridge, which are free with my drink package. When they are gone, I'll visit my favorite bartender and get a few extra beers for my fridge. Following these rules, there is No Charge for the water or beers. Bon Voyage!
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 12:03 AM, PixieMom3 said:

Thanks everyone.  Looks like the whiskey my husband likes is $23 so I guess we will have a few $8 (plus gratuity) charges.  

I think that you should tell hubby that he can only have "free" alcohol on the ship. 7 days of cheap whisky won't kill him. And he can indulge more than normal. 

On 7/16/2023 at 4:37 PM, PixieMom3 said:

Are you allowed to bring on bottled water if you buy some in a port?  We are planning on bringing our own water containers, will they fill these up for us if we go to a bar? 

No you can't bring bottled water on period.  If your refillable drink containers still contain liquid when you get back aboard ship in a port you will have to pour them out.   There will be huge rain barrels for the dumping. 

You can fill your reusable containers from your bathroom sink or in the buffet.  At the buffet you have to use the glasses, not just put your container under the spigot.  I can't believe cruise lines don't have water bottle refill stations yet.  Some bartenders who aren't too busy will fill your container.  All will give you a glass of ice water free.  I tip for this service & I'm usually asking the bartender who had been serving me alcohol the night before so that person already knows they make money from me.