HAVE ANY VIKING CRUISERS USED THIS TRANSFER SERVICE FROM CHIOGGIA TO VENICE?

Fieldofdreams

"If you are staying in Chioggia and wish to visit Venice, there is a direct boat service, the Linea Clodia, which leaves every morning at 9.05am and returns in the evening, leaving Venice at 5pm. Do check the latest times as these are subject to change."

Has anyone used this service and if so, would you share your experience good/bad....Thank you

14 minutes ago, Fieldofdreams said:

"If you are staying in Chioggia and wish to visit Venice, there is a direct boat service, the Linea Clodia, which leaves every morning at 9.05am and returns in the evening, leaving Venice at 5pm. Do check the latest times as these are subject to change."

Has anyone used this service and if so, would you share your experience good/bad....Thank you

Quick update - Just found this and thought I should pass along.

"In summer (from May 31 to September 30) is available the direct line of transportation "Clodia" by boat (vaporetti) with departures from stop Venice-Pietà (the stop is located in front of the omonim church, unique departure at 5pm); the same vaporetto, towards Venice, leaves from Isola dell'Unione at 9,05am and Piazzetta Vigo at 9,15am.

Did your SHIFT key get stuck?  🙂

Usually when someone does all caps, they are upset, but you obviously aren't.   We will follow this since we are doing the 3 day turnaround in Venice on the Saturn next February.  At that time of year, however, the options may be less, but hopefully the crowds will be as well!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HDS said:

No, but I found this article interesting.  Hope some recent cruisers who have docked at Chioggia can contribute.

Venice to Chioggia | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

The article is interesting but I am concerned that there is no date on the article; there is no telling how up-to-date the information is. I would confirm all the relevant information in the article before depending on it to get around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peregrina:  Thank you for your warning about lack of date.  My bad.  The accompanying traveller's story was written in 1999, very much out of date.  Of course, one should get updated information from the company running the service before relying on it.

CC Wine Lover, we are booked on the same Viking Saturn cruise as you from Barcelona February 2024 with a three day turnaround in Venice and have been following on the roll call.  There is a bus service Chioggia to Venice (arrivaveneto.it) with a current website and timetables.  Travel time (no doubt traffic dependent) is estimated slightly less than the ferry Fieldofdreams mentioned.  We are considering spending one night in a hotel in Venice, returning to the ship on day 2 of the turnaround.

I'm keeping options open as I understand there is only one dock in Chioggia and, if it is occupied, Viking Saturn will be redirected to the industrial port at Maghera or somewhere even further away from Venice.  Or it may move berths sometime during the turnaround.  

As I said before, I hope cruisers on this route will post their experiences very soon.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HDS said:

Peregrina:  Thank you for your warning about lack of date.  My bad.  The accompanying traveller's story was written in 1999, very much out of date.  Of course, one should get updated information from the company running the service before relying on it.

CC Wine Lover, we are booked on the same Viking Saturn cruise as you from Barcelona February 2024 with a three day turnaround in Venice and have been following on the roll call.  There is a bus service Chioggia to Venice (arrivaveneto.it) with a current website and timetables.  Travel time (no doubt traffic dependent) is estimated slightly less than the ferry Fieldofdreams mentioned.  We are considering spending one night in a hotel in Venice, returning to the ship on day 2 of the turnaround.

I'm keeping options open as I understand there is only one dock in Chioggia and, if it is occupied, Viking Saturn will be redirected to the industrial port at Maghera or somewhere even further away from Venice.  Or it may move berths sometime during the turnaround.  

As I said before, I hope cruisers on this route will post their experiences very soon.

Thanks for the insights!  We'll see you onboard!

I just looked and we are scheduled for Venice on Tue/Wed/Thur  Feb 27/28/29  (yes leap year day!).  I don't know if it means it will be more or less crowded that we are not there on a weekend.   Will have to do more research!

Haven't looked at our roll call in a bit - have you posted this information there?  Might be of interest.

We had a Viking Sky visit to Venice during 9/9-11/2022. The first day we used the Viking water transfer from Chioggia to the Venice Coldnoldi pier and the one-way trip took about 90 minutes. We found this experience not a great use of time (3 hours total round-trip on a water bus). On day 2, we took an 8 AM Viking water transfer to Venice and spent one night in Venice (Hotel Palazzo Barbarigo). On day three, we returned to the Sky via a 10am Viking water transfer from Cornoldi to Chioggia. We very much recommend a Venice overnight stay, particularly if you haven't done so in the past.  Venice in the evening and early morning is a completely different (and often wonderful) experience than during the day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ReturnCruiser said:

We had a Viking Sky visit to Venice during 9/9-11/2022. The first day we used the Viking water transfer from Chioggia to the Venice Coldnoldi pier and the one-way trip took about 90 minutes. We found this experience not a great use of time (3 hours total round-trip on a water bus). On day 2, we took an 8 AM Viking water transfer to Venice and spent one night in Venice (Hotel Palazzo Barbarigo). On day three, we returned to the Sky via a 10am Viking water transfer from Cornoldi to Chioggia. We very much recommend a Venice overnight stay, particularly if you haven't done so in the past.  Venice in the evening and early morning is a completely different (and often wonderful) experience than during the day.

Thank you ReturnCruiser - 

Were the Viking Water Transfers offered to all guests and did they run frequently?  

Were the transfers part of paid Viking excursions that Viking allowed you to get on with others that had paid for the excursions so you could get back to the ship? Thanks (We previously spent time in Venice so likely will not stay in Venice again but you are correct Venice at night and early in the morning is very special. When we were there I got up at 4:30am just to watch the fresh fish and produce being brought in by boats for the markets. Fun being there when all the chefs were buying for their restaurants.

Venice in the evening is a magical place. Uncrowded, reasonably well lighted, delightful. Tourists have left, restaurants are open, most shops are closed

The vaporetti run until late into the evening, so hop-on, hop-off is easy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

OK.  Sounds great!  We'll be there in late February.  Any experiences then from our travelers on places to spend that middle night in Venice?  Thanks!

You must visit Caffè Florian, one of the oldest continuously operating coffee house in Europe. Opened in 1720, it’s right on Piazza San Marco. IMG_0754.thumb.jpeg.ff8646fa19c8a1c1bc744fb5be0d74e1.jpegIMG_0749.thumb.jpeg.de05e543a0875907e905db792953436d.jpegIMG_0747.thumb.jpeg.246427059a88f0799a7f674f75cf1258.jpegIMG_0751.thumb.jpeg.fe30ddbeba84ea94f42d80efbf58a3dc.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/19/2023 at 2:53 PM, Fieldofdreams said:

Thank you ReturnCruiser - 

Were the Viking Water Transfers offered to all guests and did they run frequently?  

Were the transfers part of paid Viking excursions that Viking allowed you to get on with others that had paid for the excursions so you could get back to the ship? Thanks (We previously spent time in Venice so likely will not stay in Venice again but you are correct Venice at night and early in the morning is very special. When we were there I got up at 4:30am just to watch the fresh fish and produce being brought in by boats for the markets. Fun being there when all the chefs were buying for their restaurants.

I can’t recall the Viking water taxi schedule from ship dock to Venice pier. That said, on day 3 for our AM return to the ship, we simply joined a Viking water taxi bringing guests back to the ship (no pre-reservation required).  We checked the likely AM pickup times with the Viking excursion staff on day 2.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ReturnCruiser said:

Wow Bob!  Very very impressive.

I hope that we get the chance to cruise sometime with you - would enjoy hearing your enrichment lectures on privacy and security!  (I retired a few years ago after a career in IT - mostly analytics and databases).

We are doing the Italy-Croatia-Athens Viking cruise next Feb/Mar.  You have a lot of great information on all the amazing travels you've done in your blog. Well organized.

Thank you very much!

Kent

On 7/22/2023 at 11:41 PM, ReturnCruiser said:

I can’t recall the Viking water taxi schedule from ship dock to Venice pier. That said, on day 3 for our AM return to the ship, we simply joined a Viking water taxi bringing guests back to the ship (no pre-reservation required).  We checked the likely AM pickup times with the Viking excursion staff on day 2.

Thank you for your response