Train or bus to Dover on day of cruise

I have been researching the best option for traveling to Dover on the day of our cruise. Our hotel is the Clermont Victoria and we can travel on a bus from Victoria coach or Victoria station on a southeastern train. The train is direct and takes 2 hrs. The bus takes 3 hrs and 10 min. The train costs 15 pounds and the bus is 8 pounds. I have some concerns for each though. Will the train be affected by the train strikes? The bus drops us off in Dover central. Will we be able to find a taxi on a busy cruise day? Should we just pay more and take the cruise bus option that would pick us up near Victoria station? ( approx. 105 dollars) Should we book a tour to Dover and pay for a tour of the white cliffs and Dover castle?? (125 ish) without entrance fee to the castle.

Train strikes are always a possibility, yes. But they’re not that frequent and you’d be unlucky to encounter one. And there’s always at least two weeks’ notice, giving you time to find a Plan B. So I wouldn’t overthink it if that’s your preferred option. Finding a taxi won’t be a problem, there might just be a bit of a wait.

National Express is ok but very, very slow.

The cruise line shuttle and tour are massively overpriced. You’re basically paying an extra £100 per person to take you the last mile in Dover and guarantee you’ll make the ship. If there’s more than one of you you might as well get a cab, it’ll probably work out cheaper.

So all things considered I’d go for the train. And come back here for advice if there’s a strike - there are always options.

• Like 1

Check out International Friends they go on embarkment and disembarkment days from certain London hotels to Dover.

I took them post cruise from Dover and Southampton to be dropped off at the door of my London hotel.

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

• Like 1

Whilst you would be unlucky to be affected by a train strike, if your date clashed with a strike there'd be a rush for seats with Nat Express. Locals will hear about dates at least a couple of weeks out via TV etc, whereas you'd be relying on occasionally checking on the train operator's website.

It grieves me to say it, but altho by train is quicker & IMHO more comfortable, the bus is more reliable in the circumstances.

To hedge your bets, consider buying tickets for both.

A fully-flexible Nat Express ticket will cost about £20 vs a restricted ticket at about £5.50, but will be refunded (less a £5 admin fee) if you cancel 24 hours ahead. By then you will know whether there will be a strike on the day - check the rail website before you travel so that you don't have grief cancelling while on a ship or travelling by air.

Or buy a restricted Nat Express ticket at £5.50 & throw it away if not needed - the net cost is about the same and no paperwork.

And buy Advance train tickets to Dover Priory from about £15  - but the price is fluid & will rise as the date closes in so don't delay. And Advance tickets are only good for the train time that you booked, so don't miss it or you'll have to buy fresh walk-up tickets.

Advance fares are no amendments / no refunds but that doesn't apply if they don't supply the service.

--------------------------------------

Ship's cruise transfers are grossly over-priced for essentially the same service as Nat Express - they depart from the same Nat Express Victoria coach station and whereas they drop you at the cruise terminal a taxi from the Nat Express town centre bus stop will be about £10. And in the past Nat Express drivers have offered to drop cruisers at the cruise terminal "as a favour" (translation - "a £5 per couple tip would be greatly appreciated" 😏

Complicated, innit ??

JB 🙂

52 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Advance tickets are only good for the train time that you booked, so don't miss it or you'll have to buy fresh walk-up tickets.

... or switch to that £5.50 bus that you bought as a backup 😉 (a reason to book it for a bit later than the train).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We sailed from Dover in August, 2023 and used Jewels Airport Transfers.  We had a private van for 4 with pickup at our hotel and return pickup from Dover cruise port to Heathrow (LHR) terminal 5.  Very smooth and comfortable.  It was 276 pounds round trip.  I am sure public transportation is less expensive but for us Jewels was great and we controlled the schedule of pickup going both ways.

• Like 1