Oy...I'm Feeling Guilty (Alaska Question)

MsTabbyKats

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

She cancelled because she's nervous about doing anything on her own.

Hmm, I have an idea...does somebody else need a vacation in August? (paid for by her ex)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes

53 minutes ago, ngrund said:

Is that still true if booking is made after final payment date?

Yes. We have been in this situation two times in the past year.  One was a cruise departing within a week. As long as you call before the 24 hour mark after booking. 

7 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Yes

Yes. We have been in this situation two times in the past year.  One was a cruise departing within a week. As long as you call before the 24 hour mark after booking. 

Good to know, I've never booked after final payment date but I'll be retired soon, so that will probably start happening

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zqvol said:

She doesn’t need a passport. A state issued ID and a state issued birth certificate will be fine unless she is doing a one way out of Vancouver. 

I do believe that is exactly what I posted

If she's never traveled, cruising alone out of the country (assuming Vancouver is involved) would probably be too overwhelming as a first step especially since she doesn't do things alone.  I keep telling my friends to step out of their comfort zone especially before we all get older (things just feel/seem more scary when you get older).  Hopefully, she'll be ready before her credit expires and then discovers a whole new world.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, boltnut55 said:

If she's never traveled, cruising alone out of the country (assuming Vancouver is involved) would probably be too overwhelming as a first step especially since she doesn't do things alone.  I keep telling my friends to step out of their comfort zone especially before we all get older (things just feel/seem more scary when you get older).  Hopefully, she'll be ready before her credit expires and then discovers a whole new world.

A few years back (pre pandemic) I advised her to take a cruise out of NYC (15 minute cab ride to the pier) to Canada.  If/when I find out about "refund vs credit" I'm gonna tell her the same thing........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

A few years back (pre pandemic) I advised her to take a cruise out of NYC (15 minute cab ride to the pier) to Canada.  If/when I find out about "refund vs credit" I'm gonna tell her the same thing........

It may be worth advising her to pick one of the ships with the studio cabins so she can meet other solo travelers. I’ve traveled solo for ages but even then it took me a lot of research before I booked a cruise as a solo. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

I ran into my friend yesterday.  Asked her if she canceled the cruise.  Her response was "not yet" because she's going to the doctor in a couple of weeks.  So I asked her if she had insurance and she said that the PCC says she does.  I'm not sure what the doctor has to do with this...other than she thinks the doctor can write her "a note".  She wasn't slightly upset about a refund or FCC.  And no, I'm not making any suggestions.

If anyone remembers an episode of "2 1/2 Men"....where Heather Locklear was Alan's divorce lawyer, and he had to pay for his ex-wife's drycleaning etc....I think that this is the lawyer her ex-huband used.

It's easy to throw away other people's money.....................

• Haha 3