Dawn speciality restaurants what’s your favourite

di T

regardless of the ncl ship, cagney's wins hands down, followed closely by le bistro. teppanyaki was   right up there with them until they changed from filet to n,y  steak. 

also if youre real, real hungry, go to moderno. the pineapple for dessert is to die for!

i think you'll enjoy any of the specialty restaurants. some people rave about la cucina, but to me its just meh. i also understand there is a mexican restaurant onboard the dawn that we're going to try. sailing next thurs

31 minutes ago, di T said:

Going on The Dawn in November, free at sea no idea about which restaurants are good

If you've never been on NCL, Le Bistro and Cagney's for sure.  And you should book them right now if you are at 120 days or less.

We were just on the June 22nd Baltic on the Dawn. Due to dietary restrictions, we split up on one evening, so here is our synopsis based on a single but recent cruise:

Le Bistro - my daughter's and my favorite. Loved the sole, escargot, salad with goat cheese, and desserts (she had the chocolate thing, and I had the floating island, won't even try to put the French words here!)

Moderno - my husband's and son's favorite. And they didn't eat from the buffet at all, which is supposed to be amazing (they both have celiac, so cross-contamination is a concern with buffets), so that is based on the meats, sides, rolls, and desserts brought to the table. 

La Cucina - 2nd favorite for all. Everyone was very pleased with all their food here, but the quality was not as high as Le Bistro. Moderno trumped La Cucina for the guys b/c they had a lot more variety, and consequently found more to like.

Cagney's - just ok. They didn't season my husband's filet at all, but the rest of the entrees and sides were fine. The desserts were meh, maybe the pastry chefs had a bad night. OMG cheesecake had zero butterscotch or caramel flavor, and the raspberry creme brulee was more like mousse, oddly. The appetizers were bad. Soups were almost inedible, tomato/onion salad was a giant underripe tomato cut in half, and the crab cakes were cheap backfin meat riddled with shells (hard to eat politely, b/c i kept having to fish shells out of my mouth). They also tried to gluten my son, but it was very obvious; the wait staff and cooks had words over that, kind of uncomfortable b/c we were seated next to the food pick-up area, so they were all pointing at us lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

If you've never been on NCL, Le Bistro and Cagney's for sure.  And you should book them right now if you are at 120 days or less.

2 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

Have booked Le Bistro think we  had a nice meal there on another ship! Thanks for the recommendation 

We were done with steak so skipped Cagnies our last Dawn trip.

Our Bistro was average I did Dover sole not quite there, Star a month earlier much better.

Enjoyed the Mexican went back to burn OBC on a smaller meal,  loads of food with a package.

La Cucina enjoyed, i did the fillet really good.

We tend to not do tepanyaki or moderno  when traveling just us, previously been good choice on NCL but not recent personal experience.

14 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

We were done with steak so skipped Cagnies our last Dawn trip.

Our Bistro was average I did Dover sole not quite there, Star a month earlier much better.

Enjoyed the Mexican went back to burn OBC on a smaller meal,  loads of food with a package.

La Cucina enjoyed, i did the fillet really good.

We tend to not do tepanyaki or moderno  when traveling just us, previously been good choice on NCL but not recent personal experience.

Not big meat eaters but could not remember on the last NCL which restaurants we enjoyed! Been on Oceania recently and have a couple of Celebrity cruises soon, but we enjoyed the Norwegian cruises early this year.

10 hours ago, di T said:

Not big meat eaters but could not remember on the last NCL which restaurants we enjoyed! Been on Oceania recently and have a couple of Celebrity cruises soon, but we enjoyed the Norwegian cruises early this year.

Money goes a lot further with NCL, Celebrity of gone a bit silly.

Forgot to add we like the NCL included Asian(Bamboo on Dawn) sometimes we will use a voucher to add 4 items from the Sushi menu for a change and pimp it up.

Dawn the OH had duck at Le Bistro and that was good better than my sole.

with 2 vouchers to burn give the menus a good going over to see which gives the best variety away form the hard core meat option of Cagnies.

On our trip the beef on the buffet was pretty good, Prime rib 2 nights, very good curry but repetitive mainly beef or fish, vegi and dal

Was surprised the burger patties were also very good had  them a couple of times without a bun as the protein on the plate.

• Like 1

On boarding day they put all the menus out on display in Bamboo and you can look through them, decide which you fancy and make your dining reservations there.  I was sailing solo so decided on Cagneys and Teppenyaki but when I am with my husband it is Cagneys and La Cucina