Reliability of the Port Authority Schedules for New York

tring

We are booked on a round trip cruise form the UK visiting NY for three days from the 18th September, but there is a bit of confusion on our roll call regards the docking location.  I am aware that the port authority in NY has had us listed as docking in Manhattan for the three call since at least April and still has us there.  Another roll call member had emailed the cruise line's (P&O's) guest relations about our docking location and has now received a reply to say Aurora will dock in Brooklyn, which comparatively is a big downer for us.  

I am aware that the QM2 docks in NY regularly and is listed for the Brooklyn Terminal for all of her calls.  My thoughts are that is because she will always be on turnaround for some passengers and that terminal seems better set up for her.  My thoughts are that since Carnival UK staff deal with both Cunard and P&O over here, the member of staff may well have just answered as he/she would have done for a NY calls on the QM2, rather than look into the docking location for our specific cruise.

Can anyone tel me how reliable the NY port Authority schedules are as per this link and if any changes are dealt with promptly:-   https://nycruise.com/

Any help regards this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by tring

9 minutes ago, tring said:

I am aware that the port authority in NY has had us listed as docking in Manhattan for the three call since at least April and still has us there.  Another roll call member had emailed the cruise line's (P&O's) guest relations about our docking location and has now received a reply to say Aurora will dock in Brooklyn, which comparatively is a big downer for us.  

Usually the schedules are pretty accurate. 

9 minutes ago, tring said:

I am aware that the QM2 docks in NY regularly and is listed for the Brooklyn Terminal for all of her calls.  My thoughts are that is because she will always be on turnaround for some passengers and that terminal seems better set up for her.

QM2 is too big, really too long, for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. She juts out into the river from the pier when docked there and moved to Brooklyn decades ago. 

10 minutes ago, tring said:

My thoughts are that as Carnival UK staff deal with both Cunard and P&O over here, the member of staff may well have just answered as he/she would have done for a NY call on the QM2, rather than look into the docking location for our specific cruise.

Most likely this is the case. It would be unusual for Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to be used to overnight a ship on a multi day stay-- if you look at the BCT schedule there are only two ships, Marella Discovery and Crystal Serenity that do that this year. The rest, and all of Carnival brands calls, are all same day turnarounds. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Usually the schedules are pretty accurate. 

QM2 is too big, really too long, for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. She juts out into the river from the pier when docked there and moved to Brooklyn decades ago. 

Most likely this is the case. It would be unusual for Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to be used to overnight a ship on a multi day stay-- if you look at the BCT schedule there are only two ships, Marella Discovery and Crystal Serenity that do that this year. The rest, and all of Carnival brands calls, are all same day turnarounds. 

Thanks a lot for that detailed reply, which seems to cinch the situation.  Another P&O ship doing the same itinerary last year docked at MCT as well, which is another point in our favour.  That itinerary is done by P&O one of those two ships every September and both ships take less than 2,000pax, so no problems with size.

Barbara

1 hour ago, tring said:

Thanks a lot for that detailed reply, which seems to cinch the situation.  Another P&O ship doing the same itinerary last year docked at MCT as well, which is another point in our favour.  That itinerary is done by P&O one of those two ships every September and both ships take less than 2,000pax, so no problems with size.

Barbara

In addition to what @princeton123211 has said, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal only has a single berth, and on each of the three days you're scheduled to be in port a different ship will be docked in Brooklyn so you absolutely will be docking in Manhattan, which can handle up to three ships a day.

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

In addition to what @princeton123211 has said, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal only has a single berth, and on each of the three days you're scheduled to be in port a different ship will be docked in Brooklyn so you absolutely will be docking in Manhattan, which can handle up to three ships a day.

Thank you very much indeed, I originally had a strong hunch the info from the cruise line was wrong to begin with and my doubt was ringing very true after Princeton's post, but that really does cinch it. 

I and others can now happily carry on with our plans for the cruise.