Changing from Rental Car to Shuttle to return to MCO

GaTechCruiser

Wow....just read a bunch of horrible reviews for the Budget car rental location in Cape Canaveral.  Making me decide to cancel our one way car rental and go with a shuttle service.  There are 5 of us, should we look into private shuttle companies?  I know there are so many different shuttle options, not sure which one to start with.

We had a great experience using Enterprise for a rental car.   We picked it up at MCO, stayed two nights pre-cruise, then turned it in morning of the cruise.  Their car rental return is actually at the port and has a free shuttle to your ship.   The rental building & shuttles are shared with Avis. 

After our cruise, we used Cruise Control for shuttle back to MCO.  They have small shuttles so you don't need to wait for a large bus before leaving for the airport.  Our driver was texting to us so that we knew he would be picking us up in five minutes.....and there he was😎  We were really impressed with Cruise Control.

Enterprise is sold out, decided to switch to Avis, some bad reviews but not as bad at Budget.  Fingers crossed that Avis will not be a train wreck.  I see it is further from the port.  I assume I can take a taxi or uber to the port if the AVIS shuttle is MIA?

53 minutes ago, GaTechCruiser said:

Enterprise is sold out, decided to switch to Avis, some bad reviews but not as bad at Budget.  Fingers crossed that Avis will not be a train wreck.  I see it is further from the port.  I assume I can take a taxi or uber to the port if the AVIS shuttle is MIA?

Enterprise, National and Alamo share the same building at Port Canaveral.   All three companies  also share the same shuttles.    The shuttle drivers walk in the building and announce what ship they are delivering to next.   Shuttle service seemed very efficient.   

a MAJOR factor impacting how good/bad the rental car experience is at PC is the port load for the day.

If not aware, PC has surpassed Miami as the port moving the most passengers.  Sadly some of the 'support functions' have not kept up with the port's growth. Even the port admits they have parking issues (and no longer poo-poo the off site parking establishments which they could NOT do without.)

rental car offices are right there with something that has NOT kept up .... <a BUNCH of new hotels have recently opened or are under construction>

You would be wise to go to the port's web site portcanaveral.com .... then the cruise tab then the schedule tab .... there you can check the port schedule for the day (I'll not hang the link as this would send you to the list they have posted TODAY and may not be the most current. They built it ..... not me!)\\Some days see 1 or 2 ships and this the rental places handle easily. Other days can see 5 turning around PLUS a port call ship with 3 of these BIG ONES .... on these days stand by for a mess at the rental places and on the shuttles!!!!!

image.thumb.png.441098b377745c7068955979f7aa25e5.png

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks for all the info -- my flight isn't until 8pm, so taking a shuttle just to sit at the airport would suck, so I thought renting a car and driving around would be a better way to kill time.

I've rented with Alamo -- should I just uber to the car rental place to beat out the people waiting for the shuttle?  

For this Friday - there are three ships - estimated passengers - Disney Wish (4,000), Carnival Liberty (3,000), and RC Independence (4375).

My "plan" is to drop the other 4 people and all our luggage I am traveling with at the port at 10:30 am and then return the rental car to AVIS.  I guess if there is not a shuttle right there, I can take an Uber to the terminal?  We have 11 am bording time.

On Monday when we return - all the same ships as Friday plus Carnival Freedom (3,000) - Hopefully AVIS shuttle will be available when we get off the ship... - if not I can take an Uber to AVIS?