Adult beverages all-inclusive on ACL at any time?

roninman

I've heard conflicting reports about ACL's onboard alcohol (wine/beer/spirits) policy.   I do see their website mentions beer and wine with lunch and dinner and at cocktail hour, but nothing about open bar or drinks room service outside those occasions, and I don't see an alcohol package offered as an option.  Nor have I come across a section in their website or brochure saying their cruises are all-inclusive with regard to wine/beer/spirits.

One travel agent mentioned all alcohol is free at any time, you just need to ask your room attendant, since they don't staff continual bars.  Is this true?

I guess the question would apply in general to ACL policy, but particularly wondering about their lower Mississippi cruises.

• Like 1

I'd say the truth is about halfway between what ACL says on their website and what your travel agent said.

First, all alcohol is free.

For mealtime, you can order beer and wine, with refills readily available.  You can also order mixed drinks, but be advised at lunch this is a lengthy process -- the liquor is kept locked up in the main lounge; someone -- usually someone other than a server (e.g., restaurant manager) has to go up and get it.

Happy hour officially starts at 5:30 PM, but usually staff tends to show up and start serving much earlier than that.  Wine, beer, and a wide variety of liquor is available at happy hour.  Those who want a mixed drink at dinner usually get another glass at happy hour and take it down.

The bar closes during dinner, but reopens shortly before the evening lecture/entertainment starts.  It remains open until after the evening activities have concluded.

On top of this, the last year or so I have noticed that ACL tends to keep a selection of self-serve wine and beer available in the upper lounge between the end of lunch and the beginning of happy hour.

I have no experience regarding room-service alcohol -- maybe somebody else knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just got back from a Colombia Snake River cruise on the American Song. Beer and wine available always in the dining room as stated by Dave you can get any kind of mixed drink at the lounge where they have happy hour starting at 5:00 and or you can also get a mixed drink at the Skye lounge bar on deck three just about anytime. The lounge bar that has happy hour is open till about 10 for the evening entertainment. We also enjoyed the Back Porch Deck grill for a quick lunch or breakfast . It is located right outside the Sky Lounge.,They are opened early morning at 6:30 am till 2 pm. They have a small menu of hot breakfast items and also burgers and wraps for lunch., You can either eat outside or in the Ske Lounge which also serves yogurt fresh fruit and delicious baked scones! Snacks and cookies are also available and of course they’re famous homemade cookies! I saw people enjoying their mimosas and Bloody Mary there every morning and the Sky Lounge is where I enjoyed a delicious homemade white sangria while just sitting and watching the beautiful views from the open deck or the lounge where there’s plenty of windows! I don’t know anything about room service for alcohol though. Hope that helps!

Edited by Ski Mom
Miss spelled words
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 1:02 PM, Ski Mom said:

I just got back from a Colombia Snake River cruise on the American Song. Beer and wine available always in the dining room as stated by Dave you can get any kind of mixed drink at the lounge where they have happy hour starting at 5:00 and or you can also get a mixed drink at the Skye lounge bar on deck three just about anytime. The lounge bar that has happy hour is open till about 10 for the evening entertainment. We also enjoyed the Back Porch Deck grill for a quick lunch or breakfast . It is located right outside the Sky Lounge.,They are opened early morning at 6:30 am till 2 pm. They have a small menu of hot breakfast items and also burgers and wraps for lunch., You can either eat outside or in the Ske Lounge which also serves yogurt fresh fruit and delicious baked scones! Snacks and cookies are also available and of course they’re famous homemade cookies! I saw people enjoying their mimosas and Bloody Mary there every morning and the Sky Lounge is where I enjoyed a delicious homemade white sangria while just sitting and watching the beautiful views from the open deck or the lounge where there’s plenty of windows! I don’t know anything about room service for alcohol though. Hope that helps!

We just booked American Song westbound.  Would love to hear more about your experience if you'd be kind enough to share.

45 minutes ago, marieps said:

We just booked American Song westbound.  Would love to hear more about your experience if you'd be kind enough to share.

Sure! Here’s a link to my review and I would be happy to answer any questions you have!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2951942-my-american-song-columbia-river-review-long-but-i-hope-it’s-helpful/?do=findComment&comment=65761637

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have 7 of us on the Sept 13th, 2023 Memphis to Nashville cruise.

Can anyone who has been on this cruise tell me a little about it?

And is there anyone on CC going on this cruise with us?

Since there is no roll call for this cruise line I thought I would start one here.

Jim B  

We just returned from a New England Experience cruise on American Constitution. Beer and wine was always available for self-serve in the deck 4 lounge near the Back Door Grill, although the beer selection was limited at times - at one point, the selection was O'Doul's (haven't had one of those since I was pregnant, and that was almost 24 years ago) and Bud Lite. (They did restock during the cruise.) Mixed drinks/liquor were available during cocktail hour, at dinner (you could order drinks from the wait staff), and during the evening entertainment beginning at 8:30.

On our June Constitution cruise, we too found the Sky Lounge beer selection pretty slim (though not as bad as on nybumpkin's cruise!).  But the wine selections there were pretty good and kept stocked, so we tended to stick with that.

There was also a large cooler down in the main lounge, at the end of the (otherwise closed) bar.  In the morning this was filled with ice and a good selection of beer.  To save time, we would take a bottle of our favorites down to lunch.

8 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

There was also a large cooler down in the main lounge, at the end of the (otherwise closed) bar.  In the morning this was filled with ice and a good selection of beer.  To save time, we would take a bottle of our favorites down to lunch.

Now you tell me! 😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 7:47 AM, marieps said:

Thanks so much!  Glad you had a great time.  Your windsurfing pic looks like a stock photo it's so sharp and beautifully composed.

You are very welcome! I hope you have just as much of a pleasant experience as we did!

• 3 months later...