Alaska: Encore vs Bliss. What do you prefer?

drpclarke

Setting up a June 2024 Alaska cruise with friends, either on the Bliss or the Encore. I only see one difference in the itineraries (no big deal)..but I'm anxious to hear y'alls thoughts on the ships, especially if you have been on both. I just went on Jade last week and loved how even though the boat was full, it never seemed crowded. However, I'm wondering if that is the case with these ships - I have seen that Encore can feel crazy crowded. Help!

Thanks!

Rachel

They are really identical except that the Encore does not have Spice H20 and Bliss does not have Onda (the specialty restaurant). I have sailed Encore twice and Bliss 3 times (and both to Alaska). I give the slight edge to the Bliss...can't really explain why but you can't go wrong with either one.

I have been on the Jade also and it's an entirely different ship experience....much smaller and without all the bells and whistles. I loved it too but it was a port intensive Greek cruise so we didn't spend much time on the ship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drpclarke said:

Setting up a June 2024 Alaska cruise with friends, either on the Bliss or the Encore. I only see one difference in the itineraries (no big deal)..but I'm anxious to hear y'alls thoughts on the ships, especially if you have been on both. I just went on Jade last week and loved how even though the boat was full, it never seemed crowded. However, I'm wondering if that is the case with these ships - I have seen that Encore can feel crazy crowded. Help!

Thanks!

Rachel

The ships are sisters and are very similar. 

The big difference is that the Encore will go to Glacier Bay which is a big deal. If this is a once in a lifetime cruise to Alaska, do Glacier Bay and not Dawes Glacier. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

They are really identical except that the Encore does not have Spice H20 and Bliss does not have Onda (the specialty restaurant). I have sailed Encore twice and Bliss 3 times (and both to Alaska). I give the slight edge to the Bliss...can't really explain why but you can't go wrong with either one.

I have been on the Jade also and it's an entirely different ship experience....much smaller and without all the bells and whistles. I loved it too but it was a port intensive Greek cruise so we didn't spend much time on the ship.

Thank you so much! Can you elaborate on SpiceH20? It sounds glorious, but then I question if that is something I'd love in Alaska!

For me the difference would be: from your home which is better a Saturday- Saturday cruise or a Sunday-Sunday cruise.  Both Saturday and Sunday are extremely busy days for SeaTac (the airport in Seattle).

If you can add a couple of days in Seattle to see the city.

Enjoy

1 hour ago, drpclarke said:

Thank you so much! Can you elaborate on SpiceH20? It sounds glorious, but then I question if that is something I'd love in Alaska!

I am probably not the right person to elaborate on Spice H2O...I am not a sun person and don't go out there much or use the pools. I divide my time between the Waterfront, the Observation Lounge and the Thermal Spa, all of which are excellent on both ships. I would suggest watching a couple of full ship tour videos on You Tube to get an idea of what each ship looks like.  The chandelier on the Bliss is much more attractive than the one on the Encore too. IYKYK.

1 hour ago, drpclarke said:

Spice H20 is an Adults Only sundeck at the aft of the ship. While the sundecks get use in June,,, with people in various states of being bundled up from jackets to bikinis, you won't miss it. 

Just off the Bliss. Loved the cruise but everyone in our party of 7 said one thing that they would change was they wished we had more time in Juneau. The Encore is there a couple hours longer so depending on what you want to do in port you may want to take that into consideration.