Computer Expert QQ re: Carnival’s Wi-Fi

audcc77

Keep in mind, VPN adds overhead, if the ship has the older WiFi service (Slow), it will make things crawl.  As Carnival moves the fleet to StarLink, this will no longer be a concern.

• Like 1

My work VPN which was required to get into my works intranet, would always time out and not connect. I assume due to the lag in performance due to the time it takes a data packet leave the ship, travel to the geosynchronous satellite, travel back to the ground, and then to the network.

Has current technology and Starlink improved this? I don't know from personal experience.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, audcc77 said:

Is Carnival Wi-Fi secure if I use a VPN?

I need to connect to the server at work.  

I have heard that people do this. 

Anyone?  

Depends on your definition of secure.  The Wifi is an open join network so theoretically anyone can sit on the network and scan/snoop traffic just like any public wifi.  As others have pointed out VPN is the technology used to "secure" your connection to your work infrastructure/services but this is hit or miss.  If your company uses the traditional/legacy VPN types you probalby won't be able to connect, if you use a IPSec/HTTPS tunnel type connection (newer VPN) you probably will be able to connect as it is just a SSL/HTTPS connection. Also note that most sites that prompt for SSL your connection is "Safe" as well as your tunnelling your connection through the SSL mechanism so if you are just browsing and don't have a requirement to use VPN then I wouldn't worry about it as long as the site is HTTPS with a valid certificate as Carnival isn't snooping the HTTPS traffic.

• Thanks 1