EPIC AUSTRALIAN TRIP - Train /Cruise !!

rojaan19

On 7/28/2023 at 5:35 PM, labrasett said:

We are flying from UK to Perth with five nights there to get out and about and to visit Rottnest Island to see the Quokkas.  Then we are doing the Indian Pacific train from Perth to Sydney (four nights) then we have three days in Sydney before picking up the Silver Wind to cruise to Tasmania and on to New Zealand with most of the NZ time being spent around South Island.   So looking forward to our trip, I planned it myself, very easy to organise apart from trying to tie up train with ship.   Our itinerary is third time lucky having been bumped off trains by certain travel company booking out the whole train on two other proposed dates. We had originally planned to cruise first then do the train in a westerly direction, ie en route towards home but by turning it on its head and rebooking our cruise we finally managed to achieve what looks like a fantastic trip, cant wait only 170 days or so to ship time.   

That should have read Silver WHISPER for the cruise section.

2 hours ago, Joc123 said:

Can I make a suggestion? Book Platinum Class instead of Gold Class. It offers a bigger cabin (still quite small) and a lovely bathroom. We have done all the train trips around Australia and it’s the only way to go IMHO.

IF you can get one. We tried for almost a year before our recent Adelaide to Darwin Ghan trip and a Platinum cabin never became available. You may have a better chance at a Platinum Cabin by buying the travel package you're considering. The extra expense is substantial.

Edited by taxatty
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2023 at 1:33 AM, Catlover54 said:

Can the windows in the berths be opened (e.g., through which to take photos?).

And how is the air conditioning -- can it comfortably keep up with Australia's high temperaturees?

EVERYTHING in Australia is air conditioned.  We die when we go to cooler climates that have heating.  You will find Australia's heat is very similar to what you get in California, especially on the coast.  It will vary with the seasons.  The worst time to travel is from about November to February because it's very wet in the north, but a lovely dry heat in the south.  That's also cyclone/hurricane season.

We have just driven from Perth to Karratha (in the very north) and the weather was sublime.  Think 75F with no rain, and just a nice breeze.

On 7/29/2023 at 12:35 AM, labrasett said:

We are flying from UK to Perth with five nights there to get out and about and to visit Rottnest Island to see the Quokkas.  Then we are doing the Indian Pacific train from Perth to Sydney (four nights) then we have three days in Sydney before picking up the Silver Wind to cruise to Tasmania and on to New Zealand with most of the NZ time being spent around South Island.   So looking forward to our trip, I planned it myself, very easy to organise apart from trying to tie up train with ship.   Our itinerary is third time lucky having been bumped off trains by certain travel company booking out the whole train on two other proposed dates. We had originally planned to cruise first then do the train in a westerly direction, ie en route towards home but by turning it on its head and rebooking our cruise we finally managed to achieve what looks like a fantastic trip, cant wait only 170 days or so to ship time.   

If you need any tips/help with Perth let me know (I live there).  Rottnest really is amazing!

On 8/4/2023 at 7:01 AM, AusMum said:

If you need any tips/help with Perth let me know (I live there).  Rottnest really is amazing!

Thank you so much AusMum.   I am starting to look at what to do as I know we need to book quite early since we will be there in the holiday season (New Year).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 5:35 PM, labrasett said:

Just catching up sorry,  but are you on the same train as me Labrasett? Indian Pacific Perth to Sydney Jan 7th to 10th? 

On 8/17/2023 at 10:52 PM, Daveywavey70 said:

Just catching up sorry,  but are you on the same train as me Labrasett? Indian Pacific Perth to Sydney Jan 7th to 10th? 

Indeed we are and then joining the Silver Whisper after three days in Sydney.

• Like 2