Different Types of Onboard Credits

I was always under the impression that onboard credits needed to be used during the cruise or they were lost. I’ve picked up from this discussion board that there are also onboard credits that can be converted into cash. Other than the obvious, how are they different and how does a TA process these 2 different types of credits?

My experience has been, if Regent has given you the onboard credit, it will have to be used or forfeited.  It cannot be converted to cash.  If your TA has given you a credit, it can be converted to cash while you are onboard.  That is also true for any excursions you have paid for, and canceled before the date on your tour ticket.  Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, pappy1022 said:

Are you saying that any shipboard credit that my TA gives me is convertible to cash? 

That is not true. Depends on the ultimate source of the OBC that your TA provides. It may or may not be refundable.

We received $200 credit for booking while on board and used that credit towards some Regent Choice excursions we booked one year before sailing. After making our final payment we also received $250 Regent Select Shipboard Credit, which was refundable. We didn’t use it during the cruise. We received the refund check about a week after we got home on July 17th. 

pappy1020: 

Reference Onboard Credit discussion:

This is another of those topics generating significant feedback on various Threads going back over the years.  Kind of like--Chair Hogs; Suitable attire at dinner; and, wait-for-it--Tipping.  

FWIIW:  

For a rather-complete, and current, overview go to Page 5.  Date:  June 6th. Topic:  "Onboard Credits".  Two pages of CCers comments submitted throughout the month.

Happy reading. 

GOARMY!

For me, the best way to make sure we don't leave any "cash" on the table is to look at our account when we get onboard..  It will specify what is refundable.  On one cruise we had both refundable and nonrefundable OBC.  I played Bingo and wondered what OBC would pay for the event.  It was the nonrefundable that paid for the Bingo and the winnings I had went into our refundable account.  I think I remember that our refundable OBC was credited to our credit card.

Regent has actually gotten very good at making this fair and clear.  Besides telling you the amount that is non-refundable, those credits are always applied first.  For example, if you signed up for any of the excursions that have a surcharge and, as required, paid for them at the time of booking and then subsequently get non-refundable OBC, they will be retroactively applied to the excursion and some or all of the new money you applied when the excursion was booked will become refundable.  You can cash out any of the refundable credit at any time during the cruise or it will automatically be credited to the card you registered for your on-board account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Portolan said:

if you signed up for any of the excursions that have a surcharge and, as required, paid for them at the time of booking and then subsequently get non-refundable OBC, they will be retroactively applied to the excursion and some or all of the new money you applied when the excursion was booked will become refundable.

This is good to know! I have this situation right now and I was wondering what hoops I'd have to go through to get the credit applied to something I'd already bought.

• Like 1