Jump to content

Ambience: Cabin Steward


 Share

Recommended Posts

Here's a strange incident, from my recent Ambience cruise:

 

 

I changed cabin after a few days, moving to 9183, on deck nine (air-con. issues). I located the room steward, in the morning, informing him that I had moved. He appeared rather unhappy and just replied “When”.   (I guess that he was upset, that he had an extra cabin to service). He never formally introduced himself to me. When I was walking down the corridor, he appeared to hide from me, in a cabin that he was cleaning or even in a cupboard. He never said good morning or good afternoon to me, in fact he never spoke to me again, all cruise.  This was hardly Ambassadors “Warmest welcome at Sea”.   However, his cleaning of the cabin was excellent, as were his towel animals.

 

In one of my cabin’s draws, I has put some extra mini-milk cartons, teabags and coffee sachets, which I had collected , from the reception, as a reserve. These were for use with the in-cabin kettle. There was also a spare box of tissues, that I had acquired. I was not stealing them, I would have left them in the cabin, when I disembarked, if I did not use them all. However, on the last evening of the cruise, the steward clearly went through all of my draws and took these away. 

 

This is not acceptable behaviour to me. However readers, do you think that I'm being over-sensitive? 

 

(99% per cent of the staff that I met onboard, were GREAT!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see you already mentioned this in your review of the ship four weeks ago….

I presume it’s still upsetting you a month later!  If you were going to leave the tea bags in the cabin anyway, you didn’t lose out on anything.

Strange incident and strange thing to post about! 😅
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To answer your question I would say yes you are over acting here.  You could quite easily have left those items beside the stock which I assume you already had in your cabin ? 
If the cabin attendants had inadvertently missed those items you had put in a drawer elsewhere then next occupants may have come across them and been concerned if the cabin had been thoroughly cleaned before they arrived? 
No need make a fuss over this at all. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, London-Calling said:

Here's a strange incident, from my recent Ambience cruise:

 

 

I changed cabin after a few days, moving to 9183, on deck nine (air-con. issues). I located the room steward, in the morning, informing him that I had moved. He appeared rather unhappy and just replied “When”.   (I guess that he was upset, that he had an extra cabin to service). He never formally introduced himself to me. When I was walking down the corridor, he appeared to hide from me, in a cabin that he was cleaning or even in a cupboard. He never said good morning or good afternoon to me, in fact he never spoke to me again, all cruise.  This was hardly Ambassadors “Warmest welcome at Sea”.   However, his cleaning of the cabin was excellent, as were his towel animals.

 

In one of my cabin’s draws, I has put some extra mini-milk cartons, teabags and coffee sachets, which I had collected , from the reception, as a reserve. These were for use with the in-cabin kettle. There was also a spare box of tissues, that I had acquired. I was not stealing them, I would have left them in the cabin, when I disembarked, if I did not use them all. However, on the last evening of the cruise, the steward clearly went through all of my draws and took these away. 

 

This is not acceptable behaviour to me. However readers, do you think that I'm being over-sensitive? 

 

(99% per cent of the staff that I met onboard, were GREAT!)

 

I totally agree the cabin steward should never go through your drawers which contain your personal items, it makes you wonder why he did it on the first place.  I would feel very ill at ease if I thought our personal items are being searched through, absolutely unacceptable and I cannot understand why some people appear to be happy about that from previous posts.  The drawers and wardrobe should be cleaned as part of making the room up once you have vacated it.  We have never experienced this on any other cruise line or hotel.  This is not about the spare ship items being taken away.

 

I quite understand keeping spares, especially if milk sachets since you are left so few, so leaving any spare one out just means that no further ones will be left when the room is serviced.

 

Edited by tring
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, liptastic said:

To answer your question I would say yes you are over acting here.  You could quite easily have left those items beside the stock which I assume you already had in your cabin ? 

No that does not work. If you leave extra milk on the desk top, they may remove it or not re-stock. They only left four little milk sachets per day. 

 

I'm not making a fuss. I'm not deeply upset. Just having a discussion with members. I have done many cruises and nothing has been removed from my draws before.  It's NOT theft as such, it's just odd.

 

(The steward did a very good job of cleaning the cabin but never spoke to us in 17 days).

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/5/2023 at 10:58 AM, London-Calling said:

No that does not work. If you leave extra milk on the desk top, they may remove it or not re-stock. They only left four little milk sachets per day. 

 

I'm not making a fuss. I'm not deeply upset. Just having a discussion with members. I have done many cruises and nothing has been removed from my draws before.  It's NOT theft as such, it's just odd.

 

(The steward did a very good job of cleaning the cabin but never spoke to us in 17 days).

 

 

This doesn't have a bearing on your rather strange experience but on my one (so far) cruise with Ambassador, I asked my cabin attendant to let me have extra milk sachets and thereafter she kept me very well supplied. I appreciate that you didn't really get to see your cabin attendant...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...