Pool Chair Saving, RCCL a Joke!!!

There is an article this week from Cruise Critic answering the question about lounge chair saving aboard the ship poolside. First I don't think this is a matter to be made fun of. People are very adamant about their chairs. They get up early in the morning and put towels on numerous chairs and in some cases that is how they stay thoroughout the day with nobody ever sitting there (witnessed it Feb 05 navigator). Which is totally wrong and unfair to people who do want to enjoy the pool side and sun. I'm not going to bore you with all the negative incidents that I have incurred. However I will say the pool attendants are worthless and can only tell you that chair saving is not allowed. They will do absolutely nothing to assist you in this matter.

New Policy: RCCL should have Pool Attendants available to seat you at pool side during Sea Days. If there is an open seat and no one is in the pool area that seat should be available for the taking. If a group is leaving poolside to go eat lunch (seen this on every cruise) the Pool Attendant should inform them once they leave their chairs are considered vacant.

Pool Attendants should remove towels left on chairs for an extended amount of time to free up those chairs.

Cruisers should not be hindered with worrying if they sat in someone elses seat. Pool Attendants should be responsible and helpful in resolving any seating problems. The pool attendants are in the area anyway, what else do they do?

I want to enjoy my cruise, I don't want to be rude or have to fight to get a seat around the pool. The Cruiseline should provide a solution to the problem (not just post signs) so people can enjoy their vacation hastle-free.

Yeah, I hate chair hogs too!

Easy solution...light up a dang cigar in a vacant chair...bet you get some attention then....next...turn it up a notch and tell them that since they don't enforce the no chair saving policy, you figured you could light up anywhere outdoors even if it wasn't starboard side.... ;)

This is partially in jest, but I might just be bold enought to try it once. Kind of fun to tilt at windmills now and again. :)

Don't let selfish people ruin a GREAT vacation for you.

Best Regards

Yeah, I hate chair hogs too!

Easy solution...light up a dang cigar in a vacant chair...bet you get some attention then....next...turn it up a notch and tell them that since they don't enforce the no chair saving policy, you figured you could light up anywhere outdoors even if it wasn't starboard side.... ;)

This is partially in jest, but I might just be bold enought to try it once. Kind of fun to tilt at windmills now and again. :)

Don't let selfish people ruin a GREAT vacation for you.

Best Regards

I think that is a great idea. I love a cigar while I'm cruzin, but hate having to go into a special room to smoke it. By the pool, next to a group of people saving chairs, then I would get an attendants attention.

Hey, Attendant.....Attention..... Do you think they call it attendant because they are supposed to give you attention.

thx....for the email

what if when you entered the pool deck area from the elevator areas or lido restaurant area you were met by velvet ropes and a sign that said: "please wait for attendant to be seated", just like at a restaurant?? could this work? One at each entrance to the pool, RESPONSIBLE for seating you and your party, AND removing items from chairs when people leave the area?:eek: this JUST might have a shred of credibility to it! of course, they would actually have to be supervised by an officer or other cruise staff!;)

albertiger

Maybe a passenger would be ready to volunteer for tips. Heck, last cruise I filled in for the fella on the Promenade selling formal wear rentals....he was off doing business for me and asked me to oversee his station....I had TWO clients lined up when he came back. If I could do that for tips...heck...I had a good time...make enough for another Red Stripe!!! ;)

Best Regards

I would be in favor of anything that would keep me from beating the living crud out of some old lady saving a chair for her Great Great Grand daughter that has been in the pool all freaking day. Ok, I'm blowing it up...I wouldn't beat the crud out of an old lady, I might just throw her overboard.

Hey Havana...From Cuba, or just like the cigars? Wife born in Cuba, moved to California at 5 years old. Most Patriotic Family you'll ever know.

Hey Havana...From Cuba, or just like the cigars? Wife born in Cuba, moved to California at 5 years old. Most Patriotic Family you'll ever know.

Not from Cuba....actually a midwestern boy all my life....but man do I like fine cigars

I really like Partagas from Cuba...Bolivar as well....I like cigars mostly premium labels unless I am out mowing grass or working in the yard....then a nice "plain label" from a good maker is up for me.

How bout you?

As much as I hate chair hogs, I think your suggestion is horrible. I don't want to wait in a line for a pool chair, nor do I want to have to stand there waiting while someone who wants up close to the pool argues with the pool attendant about chair choices.

The bottom line here is this: Grow up and take charge of your own situation. If you are looking for a chair and can see many "saved" ones, walk up, remove the towel and sit down. If someone comes by and says it's their chair and you are in the mood, give it back to them. If they were gone for more than 20-30 minutes, don't give it back. Chair hogs are selfish, self-serving people, and they don't deserve to be treated any better than they have treated you and the rest of the passengers by thinking their needs are more important than anyone elses. As the old saying goes "Someone can walk all over you ONLY if you lay down and let them."

BTW, my personal experience on RCI and Celebrity is that the pool attendants ARE helpful and they do try to keep the items that are left for a long time off the chairs.

I was the first one at the pool on Mariner at about 6Am I put my stuff on a chair and went up stairs to take a picture. I was out of sight for a couple of min.becaues my bag was there I hurried back to find my stuff gone. The Pool attendant had already removed it. He told me no saving chairs. Go figure. Later in the day it when it mattered it was a free for all.

I have an idea. I can have my 2 year old holding a cigar while wearing a swimmie diaper filled with poo. :D

That should cause a few empty chairs around us if anyone needs one.

I ACTUALLY observed a child spew all over a pool...no one in it saw it..not even the "parents" or "those in charge of the child"....while I was in the Crown Lounge. I darned near rolled out of my chair as I watched the pool inhabitants observe the "slick" and SCRAMBLE out of the pool...It was flat out hilarious!

I don't swim much in the pool....once a cruise....for about that very reason!

Although, I do have a hankering to do the belly flop....I was teaching some of the kids at our congregational pool party how to do the belly flop off of what I am told is the 3 meter board. Man was I bruised.....but they got the idea!

Lot's o fun!

Wouldn't it be fun to bring about 100 paperback books with you on the cruise and on the 1st sea day put one on each chair by the pool at about 7am and see how long it takes for people or attendents to move them?? HA!

ON BOS a few weeks back they were watching the chairs and removing the items after 30 minutes unattended and taking the stuff to Lost and Found. I saw this only on deck 11 next to the pool. Deck 12 was not policed that I noticed, and this is where I like to be, near the skybar by the rail overlooking the ocean. Also they have been writing down the cabin # for towels on the last 3 cruises I have been on. The steward of course leaves some in your cabin but by the pool you had to sign them out. I was glad to see this, seems people would be more apt to remove them from their chair when they are finsihed instead of just getting up and leaving, towel still enjoying the sun for hours...

As much as I hate chair hogs, I think your suggestion is horrible. I don't want to wait in a line for a pool chair, nor do I want to have to stand there waiting while someone who wants up close to the pool argues with the pool attendant about chair choices.

The bottom line here is this: Grow up and take charge of your own situation. If you are looking for a chair and can see many "saved" ones, walk up, remove the towel and sit down. If someone comes by and says it's their chair and you are in the mood, give it back to them. If they were gone for more than 20-30 minutes, don't give it back. Chair hogs are selfish, self-serving people, and they don't deserve to be treated any better than they have treated you and the rest of the passengers by thinking their needs are more important than anyone elses. As the old saying goes "Someone can walk all over you ONLY if you lay down and let them."

BTW, my personal experience on RCI and Celebrity is that the pool attendants ARE helpful and they do try to keep the items that are left for a long time off the chairs.

When I saw your post I was excited, because we are on RCCL 4/2/06, and I thought we would have someone from this site on the cruise with us. Then I saw that you are on a different ship. We are on the Mariner with our four boys. I plan to take your advice and stand my ground this cruise. I usually do the calm/kind/considerate thing and let the Hogs have their chairs. But you make a great point, they are self-serving and could not care less that I have walked around the pool for half an hour to find a seat. This cruise I plan to sit in an empty seat, pick up their Romance Novel and drink their Mai Tai. When they come back I'll just act as though this was my spot all along, it's my book and my drink. As long as they don't have their name on their book or drink cup I should be fine.

I see you're in Vegas. My Bro lives in Vegas. He owns a Bike shop, his son is the National Bike Champion for his age class. I love Vegas, but I also love the slots. Not a good place for me.

The chair saving on the Explorer last week was truly out of control (I was out at 9:15 one morning and the people saving the 4 chairs beside me showed up at 12:40) and the pool attendants weren't doing anything. I even saw one couple complaining to one of the attendants and all he did was take them up to the top deck and help them look for chairs. I understand why they don't want to do anything - they don't want to risk pissing people off - but if that's what they're supposed to be there for, they should do their jobs. I think Desertbelle hit it on the nose - people need to stop complaining about it and acually do something about it instead. I confess that I'm as guilty as anyone - I just went on my merry way and found a chair 100 miles from the pool rather than causing a scene. Next time, I'll move the stuff myself and risk the confrontation.

It would also help a lot if those of us who prefer swimming to lounging could have a place to keep our towel and cover-up other than on a chair that someone could be using. It would be really nice to have some place for storage near the pool (and if my stuff is on a chair, you're more than welcome to move it aside - just leave it where I can find it). Nancy

On the Mariner in October they had a policy of one pool towel per guest (That you could change out) and a charge if you did not return it. Some people risked it and saved but for the most part it was not as bad as I have seen it in the past. I liked the policy and told them so.

Nobody wants to be afraid to leave their seat and take a dip in the pool, and you shouldn't have to be! But--just like at alot of resort hotels, folks leave their old towels laying there when they are through. (These are the same people who won't remove the things they tried on from the dressing room! Slobs!) It would be nice if the staff would help police the situation a little more! On Explorer,, a few years ago, they did a fine job!

I don't understand why people complain about this. You know that people are going to claim chairs early in the day. You know that in order to ensure yourself a chair you must get up early. So just do it. Personally I think someone who gets up at 6 should have the chair over someone like me who isn't up until 10 or 11. If getting a chair was worth it to me I wouldn't be so lazy, and I would just get up. If you dont' have a chair just get up early the next day and stop complaining about it.

Maybe because chair saving is one of the things the cruiseline asks you not to do? That might be a good reason. I don't think anyone should be called, "lazy" because they have to get up at the crack of dawn on vacation to put a towel on a chair they do not intend to use for hours or maybe at all. It's a selfish and nasty practice and again, against the rules.

Archived