Food and Ship Ambiance

Waltershipman

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Food and Ship Ambiance

The ship is beautiful, our stateroom is spacious (Grand Penthouse) with living/dining separate from bed/dressing/bath rooms.  We have a double balcony.  Our room attendant is extremely helpful.  The staff to passenger ratio is large.  The staff/crew could not be more helpful.  The food has been very good, with the exception of my husband's rib eye, at Marble & Co., which was tough.  My filet was melt-in-my-mouth tender.  The food at the buffet is extraordinary.  The selection is broad, made to order pizza, pastas, salads, a carvery with prime rib and roast lamb that were worthy of a very high end restaurant.  The tables are set in the buffet restaurant, with table service, staff who are extremely attentive, and a sommelier pouring wine.  Last evening we ate at Sakura, which was also extremely good.  (I ate the entire meal with chopsticks!)  The Dim Sum potstickers were divine.  

The ship is remarkably stable.  We are currently in the Greenland Sea, just south of the Arctic Circle, in 5-6' seas, and Explora 1 is handling it well.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2023 at 9:52 PM, maggie.1008 said:

Can you please find out Heike's schedule? I would love to see her in April.

She’s on leave now, back 29 October. I don’t know anything beyond that, but assuming 3 months on, 3 months off, she’d be on November-January and then May-July. 

Marketplace menu changes daily and is very extensive.  The smaller restaurant menus do not change but worse than that, there is currently a consistency problem.  First visit to Sakura we had the Wagu Beef Tataki and it was awesome!  Returning on the 2 leg we ordered it with great anticipation and it was inedible; literally.  It was fatty and grisley, definitely not Wagu Beef and smothered in a sauce presumedly trying to camoflage it. We both sent it back and had reports from others on the ship who did the same.  But the first visit, it was truly wonderful.  My guess is they ran out and tried unsuccessfully to punt.  

11 hours ago, florisdekort said:

She’s on leave now, back 29 October. I don’t know anything beyond that, but assuming 3 months on, 3 months off, she’d be on November-January and then May-July. 

Nice! I'll be on in November