Texting each other while onboard the Oceania Vista

Badin

Will the ships wifi allow us to text another passenger while onboard? Example my phone is connected to the wifi, will my husband be able to receive a text from me?

I also read something about the I Phone message app possibly working onboard.  Does anyone understand this.......not sure I do.

Thanks in advance.

39 minutes ago, Badin said:

Will the ships wifi allow us to text another passenger while onboard? Example my phone is connected to the wifi, will my husband be able to receive a text from me?

I also read something about the I Phone message app possibly working onboard.  Does anyone understand this.......not sure I do.

Thanks in advance.

If you are connected to the ship's WiFi  on your account and are using WiFi calling and your husband is connected to the ship's WiFi and using WiFi calling he would received a text from you.  You both need to be connected to the ship's WiFi each on your own account to text each other.  You need to make sure your phone is in airplane mode but with WiFi turned on, or your texts will be charged at the cellular at sea rate that your phone company uses.

Messaging apps use data, so you will both have to be connected to WiFi and use WiFi data to avoid charges.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

Thank you both!  We are sailing on August 30th hence only 1 log in at a time😖 

Someone said there is a possibility of using the IPhone messenger from IPhone to Iphone any thoughts on that ?

13 minutes ago, Badin said:

Thank you both!  We are sailing on August 30th hence only 1 log in at a time😖 

Someone said there is a possibility of using the IPhone messenger from IPhone to Iphone any thoughts on that ?

Only if you are connected to WiFi or use your phone's data which will be billed at the cellular at sea rate for roaming on a ship.

From support apple.com: 

To send a message as iMessage or MMS, you need a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection.

this is why were glad to see 2 logins per stateroom after October 1. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Badin said:

Thanks in advance.

1) If you cannot connect both phones to ship's WiFi at the same time, no joy.  😞  Stop here.

2) All(?) smartphones sold in the last 5 years support "WiFi calling", and all(?) US cellphone providers support it.  Log both cellphones onto the ship's WiFi, switch to "WiFi calling" and text away -- well, assuming the ship's satellite relay is healthy because it's shoreside equipment that does the magic.

Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Android: https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/2811843?hl=en

• Thanks 1

We have used "WhatsApp".  We have found the "connection" using "WhatsApp" to be faster than using text messaging.

Remeber 1985's post :  You need to make sure your phone is in airplane mode but with WiFi turned on, or your texts will be charged at the cellular at sea rate that your phone company uses.

6 minutes ago, MSEm said:

Remeber 1985's post :  You need to make sure your phone is in airplane mode but with WiFi turned on, or your texts will be charged at the cellular at sea rate that your phone company uses.

Yay and verily!  Two sides of the same coin:  Text via WiFi calling is so similar to regular texting that you need to double-check that you aren't regular texting via Cellular At Sea's piratical rates.

18 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

If you are connected to the ship's WiFi  on your account and are using WiFi calling and your husband is connected to the ship's WiFi and using WiFi calling he would received a text from you.  You both need to be connected to the ship's WiFi each on your own account to text each other.  You need to make sure your phone is in airplane mode but with WiFi turned on, or your texts will be charged at the cellular at sea rate that your phone company uses.

Messaging apps use data, so you will both have to be connected to WiFi and use WiFi data to avoid charges.

Not sure if that works with all phone brands. I know iPhones use iMessenger and if both parties have iPhones, all ou need is the wifi connections.

BTW: turning “wifi calling” on with an iPhone is meant for a “handoff” situation where cellular service is problematic. Having wifi calling on requires that cellular service also be on and weak. It is then that the phone will switch to wifi. The problem with O is that, if you turn off airplane mode (to allow cellular), the ship’s AT&T connect@sea will appear on your top of the home screen. If you’re an AT&T customer, it will auto connect and cost plenty for a call.

But, back to the problem at hand. Two iPhones each with airplane mode turned on and ship’s wifi active will transmit/receive iMessage texts (you’ll see the text messages with blue background if all is working. If both phones don’t have iMessage active, you’ll see a green background which means at least one phone needs cellular service to connect.

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

. Having wifi calling on requires that cellular service also be on and weak. It is then that the phone will switch to wifi.

On our Android, WiFi calling can be used in either situation, cellular on or airplane mode on. In the case of cellular on, the phone decides which is better, WiFi or cellular.  If you leave it on, the phone can chose the cellar connection over the WiFi calling, and you'll be connected to Cellular at Sea. This happen at home, when the cellular signal is better that the WiFi connection. With airplane mode turned on and the WiFi activated, the phone is always using WiFi calling.

Edited by 1985rz1

"Connection preference" is another option Apple thinks it knows better than its customers do?  Yeah, that could get costly afloat.

Android offers a "WiFi Preferred / Cellular Preferred" setting for when both WiFi and Cellular connectivity is available when roaming.  On my phone it shows up as Settings→Connections→WiFi Calling→Roaming Network Preference.

6 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

"Connection preference" is another option Apple thinks it knows better than its customers do?  Yeah, that could get costly afloat.

Android offers a "WiFi Preferred / Cellular Preferred" setting for when both WiFi and Cellular connectivity is available when roaming.  On my phone it shows up as Settings→Connections→WiFi Calling→Roaming Network Preference.

Yes, mine Android does. also.  At home I select WiFi preferred, but sometimes the phone selects celluar anyway, so I wouldn't risk it in a cruise.  But just my cautiousness.

5 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes, mine Android does. also.  At home I select WiFi preferred, but sometimes the phone selects celluar anyway, so I wouldn't risk it in a cruise.  But just my cautiousness.

Indeed!  "Belt and suspenders":  Airplane Mode plus WiFi Preferred. 😉

• Haha 1