First cruise question

Krap

I have always wanted to view the stars from a boat or ship at night and was hoping to do so on my first cruise. However, I have read that viewing the stars from the ship at night is not very good. Are there any "dark sky" areas on the ship that one would have a better view of any stars? I will be on the Caribbean Princess in February, Eastern Caribbean. Thanks!

Pre-pandemic we were on a cruise (don't recall which ship) and there was a "stargazing" activity led by the ship's navigator.  It didn't go so well because of cloud cover...we could see a few he was pointing out but it was not a good night for looking.  This was held on the extreme bow area where passengers are not normally allowed. I cannot give you an answer regarding the Caribbean Princess...maybe...?

• Like 1

All depends on weather.  We had one cruise like Rick&Jeannie mentioned which was awesome and it was on the putting green.  We also had some cancelled.   Last cruise we used our stargazing apps at the wakeview bar and had a great time!  I live across from the Tamke Allan Observatory would love to have that perfect night on a cruise!

• Like 1

I was able to do the nighttime stargazing thing aboard the Regal a few years ago. You assemble on the putting green about 10 or 11p.  They turn off the lights on the stern and you can see a lot! I think it was a Discovery channel program that I saw listed in the Patter. 

• Like 2

We were just on the Diamond Princess, which is another Grand class ship similar to the Caribbean Princess, and we found up on the bow on deck 16 in the evening there weren't too many lights to impact star gazing.

image.thumb.png.6cc7071456a77dbe840e7d086809ab88.png

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1