Drinks Package Under 21 and experience

mrshorsy

Hi 

Quick question for anyone who may have experienced this or have more information than I can find on the website.

We are cruising on the Epic from Rome next year to celebrate my 2 sons turning 18 and 21. On the actual cruise date they will be 18 and 20. We are booked in Haven and my husband and I intend to upgrade our drinks package to the premium.

The question is what can I get for the lads? When we cruised last (2022) the youngest was only 15 so just had sodas and the oldest was 18 and had a package called Corks and Caps so could get beers and wines. I cant seem to find this anywhere on the website.

I know usually everyone in the cabin has to have the same package but I cant upgrade everyone as they are under 21!!!

Sorry for the long winded message, hope it makes sense !

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

This is from the NCL website.  But I swear that I read something recently that the parents do not have to sign anything in Europe.  I think you should be able to upgrade your package because you have to be 21 to get a beverage package.  Unless you want to pay for an upgraded package when your son turns 21 but I am sure that is pricey onboard.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Amy yes our last cruise was out of New York down to BVI. The 18year old had a Corks and Caps package but we didn't have to sign anything ! Thats the package I am trying to find for them but it doesnt seem to be on there ! Think I'll have to try and call them 

Corks and Caps might be gone forever. It hasn't been seen on the website for years and I can't remember the last time that someone posted that they purchased it.

Getting individual drinks for them is likely the only option since getting a package of any kind for them might not happen. NCL might try to force a soda package on them if the parents upgrade to the PPBP.

5 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

Think I'll have to try and call them 

If you are successful, let us know.

On our last cruise our 19 and 20 year olds were 2nd in each cabin. We signed a waiver so they could order beer and wine, but NCL did not allow them to have corks and caps, we had to pay OOP for their drinks since they only had a soda package.

48 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Corks and Caps might be gone forever. It hasn't been seen on the website for years and I can't remember the last time that someone posted that they purchased it.

I agree, it has been gone for years.   The last time we sailed when our now two young adults children were between 18-20 was 2019 and it was not available then.

20 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

I agree, it has been gone for years.   The last time we sailed when our now two young adults children were between 18-20 was 2019 and it was not available then.

We had it only last year on our cruise (2022) I guess our other option is to just get them drinks on our card as we can get 2 at a time but this only works when they are with us ! 
Does anyone know what the prices are like on ncl ? 

I believe your only option is to sign the waiver and they pay by the drink.  I haven’t seen the caps and corks package in years, and they may not even let them buy it if it was available.  This happened to us back in 2019 when my son was 19.  It can get expensive.  Even then I believe a beer was $8 each.  One night I saw he had ordered a dozen!!  He said he was buying for his friends.  I told him to STOP THAT!!  😂

1 minute ago, Russiamomm said:

I believe your only option is to sign the waiver and they pay by the drink.  I haven’t seen the caps and corks package in years, and they may not even let them buy it if it was available.  This happened to us back in 2019 when my son was 19.  It can get expensive.  Even then I believe a beer was $8 each.  One night I saw he had ordered a dozen!!  He said he was buying for his friends.  I told him to STOP THAT!!  😂

As I said we had corks and caps last year !!!! We don’t need a waiver it’s in Europe. I’m going to call NCL tomorrow and ask what they suggest. If they say we have to pay as they go I guess they will need to hang out with us more as we can order 2 drinks per card ! 

2 minutes ago, mrshorsy said:

As I said we had corks and caps last year !!!! We don’t need a waiver it’s in Europe. I’m going to call NCL tomorrow and ask what they suggest. If they say we have to pay as they go I guess they will need to hang out with us more as we can order 2 drinks per card ! 

I hear you.  It may be different in Europe.  Good luck with the call and let us know what they say.  (Although my kids are now of age, so it doesn’t matter, but I am curious.)

I don’t want to start a debate over it, but technically you cannot order two drinks and give one to someone without a drink package.  Not judging - I’ve done it myself occasionally - both as the giver and the receiver - but technically it is against the rules.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I hear you.  It may be different in Europe.  Good luck with the call and let us know what they say.  (Although my kids are now of age, so it doesn’t matter, but I am curious.)

I don’t want to start a debate over it, but technically you cannot order two drinks and give one to someone without a drink package.  Not judging - I’ve done it myself occasionally - both as the giver and the receiver - but technically it is against the rules.

I checked the terms and conditions and all I can find is that a drinks package can’t be shared. It doesn’t say drinks can’t be gifted ! 

• Haha 1

Just now, mrshorsy said:

I checked the terms and conditions and all I can find is that a drinks package can’t be shared. It doesn’t say drinks can’t be gifted ! 

That’s a unique way of looking at it, but I’m pretty sure NCL looks at it as the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you will need to sign a waiver on board.  Doesn't sound like this will be an issue for you since the whole family is travelling, but word of caution:  when I sailed alone with my 19yo daughter in January, they wouldn't permit me to sign the waiver because we have different last names and we didn't have her birth certificate to prove I was her mother.  Even though we showed drivers licenses with the same permanent address and she looks like my clone, we couldn't get it done for her, which was frustrating. 

1 hour ago, mrshorsy said:

If you do this only occasionally, they will likely look the other way.

If you do this consistently or try to order beverages for them while in a restaurant on your drink package, they would be well within their rights to cancel your drink packages completely and not offer a refund.