Encore Oct 8 2023 and Bliss Oct 7 2023 - Inside Passage?

krisean

Hi - we are considering an early October cruise to Alaska.  In reviewing the itinerary for Encore vs Bliss, I am confused.  NCL's page appears to show the exact itinerary for each, but some 3rd party sites show Encore sailing the Inside Passage on Day 2, while Bliss is shown At Sea.  Are both ships really on the same path, just 1 day apart?  We would sail Bliss (if the sailing path is the same) since she would be a new ship for us, but don't want to miss the Inside Passage. 

Any insight is appreciated.  We have never sailed Alaska before so maybe I am just missing something?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, krisean said:

Hi - we are considering an early October cruise to Alaska.  In reviewing the itinerary for Encore vs Bliss, I am confused.  NCL's page appears to show the exact itinerary for each, but some 3rd party sites show Encore sailing the Inside Passage on Day 2, while Bliss is shown At Sea.  Are both ships really on the same path, just 1 day apart?  We would sail Bliss (if the sailing path is the same) since she would be a new ship for us, but don't want to miss the Inside Passage. 

Any insight is appreciated.  We have never sailed Alaska before so maybe I am just missing something?

Thanks!

I would doubt that either ship will sail the Lower Inside Passage this season.  Canada has put a limit on how many ships in a day can sail the Lower Inside Passage (the waterway between Vancouver Island and the mainland of Canada).  The smaller ships like The Jewel are being allowed to sail the Inside Passage but not the mega ships.  Bliss and Encore have sailing along the West Coast (Pacific Ocean side) of Vancouver Island.

If the reason for your cruise is the Inside Passage, then The Jewel would be the ship to sail.  Great ship and staff.

• Like 3

It looks like the Bliss changes its itinerary in October for the final sailings of the season. My friend and I are on Encore next month and chose that over the Bliss because we wanted to sail Glacier Bay and that’s only an Encore (versus Bliss) at that point in time.  

I suspect the other ports that Bliss visits - Icy Strait Point and Sitka (versus Glacier Bay sailing and Skagway) - are all but shut down in October. But someone more seasoned may be able to confirm that hypothesis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krisean said:

Thanks!

They are the same itinerary a day apart. For most of the season, the Encore goes to Glacier Bay while the Bliss goes to the Dawes Glacier. The first couple of cruises at the start and end of the season, the Bliss goes to Glacier Bay because of the temperatures and ice conditions.

We're sailing on the Encore shortly and it's still shorts and t-shirt weather in ports,,, but by October, it will be 25 degrees cooler and coats, hats, and gloves. 

Neither ship go into the Canadian inside passage. They will be in open ocean. they will do the Alaskan/US inside passage as they get into Alaskan waters. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

What about Sun vs either Encore/Bliss?  We can get 9 days on Sun (vs 7 on the bigger ships) , but have never sailed on this class of NCL ship.  2 extra days would be awesome but will is the smaller ship be limiting in it's onboard activities/amenities?

@krisean  It is exciting planning for a beautiful Alaskan cruise isn't it!  Since I'm flying from the East Coast, I wanted to have the two extra days that the Sun offers.  There will be fewer activities, choice of restaurants and entertainment on the Sun, but there are still plenty of choices and things to do.  It is a wonderful class of ship.  Another advantage to the smaller ship is you will have fewer people lining up to get off in each port.  The Spinnaker lounge, with the ability to go outside to the front deck for scenic viewing and the Great Outdoors aft are very special.  I spent ten days on her sister ship, the Sky, in January and had a wonderful time.   

Of course, it all depends upon what you like to do on your cruise.  If you are traveling with children or teens, the larger ships would likely be the better choice.  If you are looking for a more relaxed atmosphere the Sun might be your best choice.  Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!