Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

If you want to, move the left end table and push the bed left against the wall, then you’ll have double end tables and more floor space at right.

I’m good with it. I’m not doing any floor exercises in here or anything. If I did that the bed would be under the overhang which I don’t want. I’m storing my luggage in that side because when I got it, I couldn’t push it under the bed. Last time that happened they were storing cots under there. I don’t spend much time in here. We don’t even have a sea day until the last day. I’m not going to ask Stewart to rearrange the room on day 3

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 8

15 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Nope, not really unless you’re a large party. The MDR is large enough for you to walk in. 

Any party can book a reservation in MDR. There are 2 of us and we prebooked  the main dining room on our last cruise. We did do it on the app before we boarded. Not sure if you can book a reservation when on board.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

The water near the glacier looks silty.  Is there silt in the ice for the drinks or do they gather the ice away from the glacier?  The blue ice is impressive!

We were pretty far out when they did that. Probably a couple miles. The closest we got was a half mile. But I wasn’t down below at all to see the ice they brought in other than that one piece I saw coming out. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

@Saint Greg I too appreciate your photos... not a popular opinion I realize, but just reaffirms my assertion that I will NEVER go on an Alaskan cruise. Maybe it's because I live in Canada, and am around snow and ice 5-6 months of the year... unless I'm skiing (which I haven't done in probably 10 years), I have no desire to vacation where I have to wear a toque and mittens. I know there's the chance to see wild sea life but I can see whales and sea lions in Cabo just as easily 🙂 

I’d probably feel the same way if I lived in Canada. But I don’t. And this is what I’m going back to next week.

IMG_2405.thumb.jpeg.1940ba07c114ca32e44607375fb865bf.jpeg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Stowaway LFC said:

Did you not use the cell protector you had on your last Alaska cruise?  Just curious.  Lordy! Look at that mailbox! LOL

I have it but not really using it unless I know it’s going to get really wet. The iPhones are pretty resilient these days. My last one actually got submerged for a couple seconds in Bermuda. If not only was fine, it passed inspection when I traded it in for this one. Whale watching grand Turk didn’t use it. Maho beach didn’t use it. Getting sprayed by Gwar didn’t use it.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’d probably feel the same way if I lived in Canada. But I don’t. And this is what I’m going back to next week.

IMG_2405.thumb.jpeg.1940ba07c114ca32e44607375fb865bf.jpeg

I think I prefer your weather to mine... this upcoming for the rest of my week... I hate that it's almost fall, and potentially 4-8 weeks from the first snow (which may or may not stick around until spring), which is why I prefer to cruise and vacation somewhere warm! 😁

image.thumb.png.58a85b6f76b64b2cd19650ab96c8a9a5.png

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ctlyf said:

I think I prefer your weather to mine... this upcoming for the rest of my week... I hate that it's almost fall, and potentially 4-8 weeks from the first snow (which may or may not stick around until spring), which is why I prefer to cruise and vacation somewhere warm! 😁

image.thumb.png.58a85b6f76b64b2cd19650ab96c8a9a5.png

I’ll take 70-75 year round. But it is nice those times that we get 75 in December and January. If i had it my way I would live up north in the summer and down south the rest of the year.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ll take 70-75 year round. But it is nice those times that we get 75 in December and January. If i had it my way I would live up north in the summer and down south the rest of the year.

And that's why so many retired Canadians are "snowbirds"... I'd prefer 75'F year round too... unfortunately, our historical average daytime temp in Dec and Jan is high teens to low 20's, with average overnight lows around 0'F. We routinely get 2 or 3 "cold snaps" lasting from a couple of days to a week (usually in Jan or Feb) where daytime highs can top out around -5 to -15'F (with or without the windchill). I think because of all those cold winter days, I actually don't mind if our temps get up into the high 80's or low 90's, occasionally.

• Like 6

I was really torn on booking that excursion. I saw so many videos on YouTube of the ship getting almost as close to the glacier as the excursion boats. But they don’t really post the videos of times that it’s too foggy for the ship to get in there. And that’s what happened yesterday. I’d be surprised if the people on the ship got to see the glacier at.

I’m very happy I got to see the glacier up close. The section of glacier we got to see today was probably 30 times the size of what I got to see of Sawyer glacier on my Tracy arm excursion last year. It doesn’t come through in the stills but I saw a lot of calving. Probably 5 times. And we heard stuff happening you couldn’t see a lot more. I have some of it on video if it’ll ever upload.

If you’re interested in seeing what Tracy arm was like you.can see that here https://www.saintgregtravel.com/tracy-arm-fjord-glacier-explorer/

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

And that's why so many retired Canadians are "snowbirds"... I'd prefer 75'F year round too... unfortunately, our historical average daytime temp in Dec and Jan is high teens to low 20's, with average overnight lows around 0'F. We routinely get 2 or 3 "cold snaps" lasting from a couple of days to a week (usually in Jan or Feb) where daytime highs can top out around -5 to -15'F (with or without the windchill). I think because of all those cold winter days, I actually don't mind if our temps get up into the high 80's or low 90's, occasionally.

I wouldn’t mind 80-90’s myself. We’ve been dealing with 100+ for a couple months.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, ctlyf said:

Yeah. I’ve met more Canadians in Mexico than I have in….Canada. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

49 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That is my ultimate goal.  Too bad my son that lives in Connecticut isn't thrilled with my goal. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Late to your adventure as was on Carnival Freedom. You’re still on the runway is Seattle (probably) cursing the ? United plane trying to sneak in ahead of you. 

went to Alaska Whittier to Vancouver on Majestic Princess last August-loved it. First time on Princess. Booked NCL Bliss for next April-I want to see more snow.

Have a great time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Something to look forward to...chasing 70 when you retire.  It is a GREAT life!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m good with it. I’m not doing any floor exercises in here or anything. If I did that the bed would be under the overhang which I don’t want. I’m storing my luggage in that side because when I got it, I couldn’t push it under the bed. Last time that happened they were storing cots under there. I don’t spend much time in here. We don’t even have a sea day until the last day. I’m not going to ask Stewart to rearrange the room on day 3

I don't know if you have looked under the bed, there is plenty of space to slide luggage in under bed to store. Also, it's easy for you to slide the bed over to wall.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise on NCL Jewel!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

I don't know if you have looked under the bed, there is plenty of space to slide luggage in under bed to store. Also, it's easy for you to slide the bed over to wall.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise on NCL Jewel!

On carnival I can usually slide it under the bed. On the first night it felt like there was something metal under the bed that kept it from going under. The only time I’ve seen that was a time when carnival was storing cots or something under my bed. But I haven’t felt like crawling on the floor to look. My stuff is fine where it is. I’m just sleeping and showering in there.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ctlyf said:

@Saint Greg I too appreciate your photos... not a popular opinion I realize, but just reaffirms my assertion that I will NEVER go on an Alaskan cruise. Maybe it's because I live in Canada, and am around snow and ice 5-6 months of the year... unless I'm skiing (which I haven't done in probably 10 years), I have no desire to vacation where I have to wear a toque and mittens. I know there's the chance to see wild sea life but I can see whales and sea lions in Cabo just as easily 🙂 

I don’t know where you live in Canada, but, Alaska is absolutely breathtaking. It truly is not to be missed

• Like 3