Panama Canal Drought

Mackdogmolly

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

With the ongoing drought in Panama, and ships backed up at the canal, I am wondering what will happen to cruise ships come October if drought conditions continue. I can’t imagine they would be a high priority.

Nothing.  Cruise ships pay a hefty surcharge for a reserved transit date and time,  and the Canal Authorities are very willing to rake in this extra. The backlog is ships with no reservations. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Having read the whole article, it seems the cost  rather that drought conditions has changes this particular itinerary on a Royal Caribbean ship. 

I remember when I did research many years ago before our full transit 15 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego, that the fee for cruise ship is based on per bed basis. Don't know if they still use that method, but as Chief said above, cruise ships are money makers for the canal.  

Also all the water used for the locks and Lake Gatun is fresh water relying on the rain fall during the rainy season in the mountains of Panama.

With climate change bringing a new normal to our planet ,drought in the  tropics is an also a contributing factor to  cruising in the future. 

Go  now  and do not put off this most amazing cruise through a wonder of the world: the Panama Canal.

Edited by Azulann

3 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Go  now  and do not put off this most amazing cruise through a wonder of the world: the Panama Canal.

I am already booked for October 20. Just a bit nervous as this drought persists and the cruise lines likely to get hit with additional fees.

5 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I am already booked for October 20. Just a bit nervous as this drought persists and the cruise lines likely to get hit with additional fees.

So happy for you ! 🥳

Relax and enjoy picking your excursions and reading up on the canal history and the wonderful ports and countries you will visit.  Would love to hear a trip report  , if you have time ,once your cruise has begun.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That isn’t completely clear from what I’ve been reading 

The Chief has provided you with an answer and the actual facts. Personally, I would believe the Chief rather than Cruisehive.

Cruise ships and a number of cargo ships make reservations for canal transits. They pay an extra fee for this service and the cruise lines pay a further fee for being guaranteed a daytime transit. Water levels would need to be extremely low for the Canal to refuse these additional revenues. Ships anchored waiting for a Canal transit is a daily occurence, but those ships turn up on spec, register and wait their turn. Ships, without reservations, waiting a week or more for a transit is not that uncommon.

Based on the story, I'll suggest the cruise line have determined the ROI is insufficient due to high fuel costs, Canal costs and few ports to sell shore-ex. She was scheduled to transit the Canal weekly, which is a substantial cost. To put it in perspective, when sailing the Panama Canal shuttle many years ago, we were on 14-day cruises, with many more ports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1