Billy Bishop airport YTZ to FLL March 2024

Jennifer75

Hi everyone. Just booked RCL Symphony of the Seas March 9-17. March break. Looking at flights and deciding between Buffalo and  Toronto - Billy Bishop airport. Worried about potential weather in early March and being March break. Will be traveling down day before. Thoughts on Billy Bishop airport with JetBlue? I have a travel credit so trying to stick with Jet blue. Price is better and direct flights from YTZ but I have no experience flying from there so looking for advice. Thanks 😊 

49 minutes ago, Jennifer75 said:

Hi everyone. Just booked RCL Symphony of the Seas March 9-17. March break. Looking at flights and deciding between Buffalo and  Toronto - Billy Bishop airport. Worried about potential weather in early March and being March break. Will be traveling down day before. Thoughts on Billy Bishop airport with JetBlue? I have a travel credit so trying to stick with Jet blue. Price is better and direct flights from YTZ but I have no experience flying from there so looking for advice. Thanks 😊 

JetBlue doesn’t fly into Island airport 

You will fly Porter probably to New Jersey and than caught a JetBlue to FLL 

as an airport it is ok 

Yes, flying out of YTZ will mean a connection (and likely terminal change) in either BOS or EWR between Porter and JetBlue

YTZ is more sensitive to hour by hour changes in the weather due to a short runway and the connecting airports add more risk.

BUF is less sensitive to normal fluctuations in the weather but if the city happen to get a bad storm it can shut the whole airport down for days. The headline causing lake effect storms are usually much earlier in the winter though, by March it would be highly unlikely. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 1

Thanks for the insight. JetBlue credit only good for the Boston -FLL portion of the flight. They suggested I book YTZ-Boston on my own. Seems a little complicated? March has me nervous with weather so may just book from Buffalo. Appreciate your detailed insight 

Welcome to Cruise Critic, @Jennifer75!

I love both airports but each has their pros and cons.  As you’re flying JetBlue, I would opt for Buffalo and get the first flight out.  That gives you more options should there be any storms affecting your flight.  Even storms in another area can affect a flight should your plane be arriving from Chicago, for example.  The first flight out usually means that your plane is already on the ground so you don’t have to wait for it to come in.

Also, CBP clearance will be behind you and you can arrive domestically.  Plus… shopping!

15 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, @Jennifer75!

I love both airports but each has their pros and cons.  As you’re flying JetBlue, I would opt for Buffalo and get the first flight out.  That gives you more options should there be any storms affecting your flight.  Even storms in another area can affect a flight should your plane be arriving from Chicago, for example.  The first flight out usually means that your plane is already on the ground so you don’t have to wait for it to come in.

Also, CBP clearance will be behind you and you can arrive domestically.  Plus… shopping!

Doesn’t BIlly Bishop have preclearance now ? 

On 8/25/2023 at 6:35 AM, Jennifer75 said:

Thanks for the insight. JetBlue credit only good for the Boston -FLL portion of the flight. They suggested I book YTZ-Boston on my own. Seems a little complicated? March has me nervous with weather so may just book from Buffalo. Appreciate your detailed insight 

I would not do this.   If you book separate tickets then your responsible for the connection and any financial costs to rebook if a flight is late and you miss your connection.  You want it all on one ticket.

If it is on a single ticket and your first flight of the day is late, the airline is responsible to rebook you to your final destination at their costs.

I had a look at JetBlue website and they are able to sell singe tickets that combine Porter and JetBlue.  They should be able to do it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1