Looking ahead to our Seabourn cruise out of Dover next July

SLSD

I've been looking ahead to our Seabourn cruise next July that leaves from the port in Dover.  We are considering looking for lodging in Canterbury.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel there?  We would prefer to be in the city so that we can walk and explore.  Thank you for any suggestions.  

6 hours ago, SLSD said:

I've been looking ahead to our Seabourn cruise next July that leaves from the port in Dover.  We are considering looking for lodging in Canterbury.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a hotel there?  We would prefer to be in the city so that we can walk and explore.  Thank you for any suggestions.  

The Sun Hotel built in 1480 should be a good choice.

It's in the centre of Canterbury amd conveniently placed near to the Cathedral.

2 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Thank you Mr. Luxury.  I'll look into it.  

5 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

This hotel looks very interesting and well located. I've been looking around at the Canterbury Hotels and notice that most are not air-conditioned.  I know that air con as you call it is not as prevalent in the UK as it is in the US.  Since about the 1950s, we have become quite accustomed to it and are concerned when it is not available.  We Texans are used to living in chilled buildings to help us survive the summer heat.  I think I am going to have to look beyond that in Canterbury.  

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

It is quite likely that you won't have any need for air con in a British summer.

I think you are right. I've been checking the weather reports.  But, thank you for the reassurance.  

57 minutes ago, SLSD said:

This hotel looks very interesting and well located. I've been looking around at the Canterbury Hotels and notice that most are not air-conditioned.  I know that air con as you call it is not as prevalent in the UK as it is in the US.  Since about the 1950s, we have become quite accustomed to it and are concerned when it is not available.  We Texans are used to living in chilled buildings to help us survive the summer heat.  I think I am going to have to look beyond that in Canterbury.  

I lived the first 38 years of my life in St. Louis and Chicago and the past 30 years in the UK.  If you want to stay in a historic hotel in the UK outside of London (no matter what grade), you will most likely forego air conditioning.  If AC is important to you, then you should probably opt for a modern-built hotel, such as a Hilton or a Premier Inn,  'Window unit' air conditioners are practically unheard of in the UK, and it is often too expensive/complicated to retrofit a centuries-old building with air conditioning.

22 minutes ago, JMB56 said:

I lived the first 38 years of my life in St. Louis and Chicago and the past 30 years in the UK.  If you want to stay in a historic hotel in the UK outside of London (no matter what grade), you will most likely forego air conditioning.  If AC is important to you, then you should probably opt for a modern-built hotel, such as a Hilton or a Premier Inn,  'Window unit' air conditioners are practically unheard of in the UK, and it is often too expensive/complicated to retrofit a centuries-old building with air conditioning.

I understand the issue and we are prepared to enjoy what the city has to offer in terms of a historic hotel. Thank you though for the confirmation of what I was reading.  I was just realizing that all of our trips to the UK have been in the winter or spring instead of summer months.    

Edited by SLSD

Just a quick word on the AC.  We just returned from Wales where neither of our five star hotels had AC.  The second was fine because the temperature was a little lower and there was a cross breeze in our large room.  However, at the first hotel, despite several open windows it was really hot at night which made it difficult to sleep, even with no blankets.  I can manage during the day but I needed it cooler at night.  Neither room had screens so we had the occasional flying bug.  It may depend on your sensitivity and whether there happens to be a heat wave.

7 hours ago, CLOU said:

Just a quick word on the AC.  We just returned from Wales where neither of our five star hotels had AC.  The second was fine because the temperature was a little lower and there was a cross breeze in our large room.  However, at the first hotel, despite several open windows it was really hot at night which made it difficult to sleep, even with no blankets.  I can manage during the day but I needed it cooler at night.  Neither room had screens so we had the occasional flying bug.  It may depend on your sensitivity and whether there happens to be a heat wave.

I will hope for no heat wave!  

These days there is no chance of predicting  consistent weather here in the summer; one week it can be cool - say 17, the next 30  to even 40 one memorable day last year.  Probably due to the top talking point, climate change.  Many older hotels have no air con, obviously including the one Mr. L recommended, which does look really attractive on websites.

• Like 1

Last April, we took a Seabourn cruise that departed from Dover. Like you, we were interested in seeing Canterbury. However, the  hotel options in Canterbury itself  didn’t appeal to us, and we stayed in an historic property that was 10 minutes away:  The Pig Hotel at Bridge Place.

It’s housed in a very old building (17th century) but updated (in an historically appropriate way)  inside. Its website says it has air conditioning (we didn’t need it in April, so I can’t claim first-hand knowledge of how well it works). It has a restaurant that features locally sourced food and wine (most from within a 25-mile radius).

Bridge Place is an easy taxi ride to/from Canterbury and Dover. The hotel will arrange taxis for you.

I’d describe the overall vibe as casual and cheerful. If you’re okay with someplace that’s a bit quirky, it’s worth a look. Important:  the hotel doesn’t have elevators, so if stairs are an issue, look elsewhere. I’d also recommend selecting a large room, as the small ones are reputed to be quite “cozy.”  https://www.thepighotel.com/at-bridge-place/things-to-do/

3 hours ago, DC Traveler244 said:

Last April, we took a Seabourn cruise that departed from Dover. Like you, we were interested in seeing Canterbury. However, the  hotel options in Canterbury itself  didn’t appeal to us, and we stayed in an historic property that was 10 minutes away:  The Pig Hotel at Bridge Place.

It’s housed in a very old building (17th century) but updated (in an historically appropriate way)  inside. Its website says it has air conditioning (we didn’t need it in April, so I can’t claim first-hand knowledge of how well it works). It has a restaurant that features locally sourced food and wine (most from within a 25-mile radius).

Bridge Place is an easy taxi ride to/from Canterbury and Dover. The hotel will arrange taxis for you.

I’d describe the overall vibe as casual and cheerful. If you’re okay with someplace that’s a bit quirky, it’s worth a look. Important:  the hotel doesn’t have elevators, so if stairs are an issue, look elsewhere. I’d also recommend selecting a large room, as the small ones are reputed to be quite “cozy.”  https://www.thepighotel.com/at-bridge-place/things-to-do/

This is the hotel our TA has suggested and we have decided to go with it.  She says that she has had clients who enjoyed it.  Your comments are a good confirmation.  

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

This is the hotel our TA has suggested and we have decided to go with it.  She says that she has had clients who enjoyed it.  Your comments are a good confirmation.  

When we cruised out of Southampton last year (on a different line), we tried to book one of their other properties - The Pig in the Wall. Sadly it was full, but it’s still on my list of future pre-cruise hotels. 

• Like 1

Hi SLSD. I think you’ll enjoy The Pig.

A suggestion: because the restaurant is very popular with people who aren’t staying at the hotel,, be sure to make advance reservations. Also, when staying there, it’s an opportunity to try some British wines. Before our stay at The Pig, we’d enjoyed a few UK sparkling wines. But during our stay, we were able to try several well made sparkling and non-sparking whites from the surrounding area. 

@SLSD Hi Susan, we had planned to stay at The Pig on the first of our cancelled Norway cruises in 2020, which embarked in Dover. It looked like a great place, and they were very kind about the cancellation. I'm happy to hear that @DC Traveler244 highly recommends it, and I hope we will one day be able to stay there.

Mary

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maryogreen said:

@SLSD Hi Susan, we had planned to stay at The Pig on the first of our cancelled Norway cruises in 2020, which embarked in Dover. It looked like a great place, and they were very kind about the cancellation. I'm happy to hear that @DC Traveler244 highly recommends it, and I hope we will one day be able to stay there.

Mary

https://www.themodernpostcard.com/

If it all works out, I will give you a report!

• Like 1

A contrary opinion. We dined at the Pig at Studland (part of the same group) in the Spring of this year. I was so disappointed that I wrote an online review, for me only the second time in five years. I reproduce that review below. I will ask friends of ours who have a house in Whitstable, close to Canterbury for a recommendation.

Took my mother-in-law for lunch. For a restaurant with high end prices it felt disappointingly corporate. We were thirty minutes late being seated, ok they were busy and we dined at 2.30. There seemed to be a theme of the waiting staff trying to aggressively upsell. The food was average, but not special. The Portland crab tart for £17 contained very little crab. My main course of hake was well cooked and had a pungent well matched sauce. The vegetables and potatoes were served without serving spoons. We asked for dessert menus and were given two between three as they were short, strange given we were almost the last people in the restaurant. We ordered the "piggy" fours with coffee, obviously low end shop sourced, for £8.50!!!!

The dinning room was lovely, but where we sat was distinctly draughty. Views are spectacular. So a disappointing experience.

Edited by Nops

2 hours ago, Nops said:

A contrary opinion. We dined at the Pig at Studland (part of the same group) in the Spring of this year. I was so disappointed that I wrote an online review, for me only the second time in five years. I reproduce that review below. I will ask friends of ours who have a house in Whitstable, close to Canterbury for a recommendation.

Took my mother-in-law for lunch. For a restaurant with high end prices it felt disappointingly corporate. We were thirty minutes late being seated, ok they were busy and we dined at 2.30. There seemed to be a theme of the waiting staff trying to aggressively upsell. The food was average, but not special. The Portland crab tart for £17 contained very little crab. My main course of hake was well cooked and had a pungent well matched sauce. The vegetables and potatoes were served without serving spoons. We asked for dessert menus and were given two between three as they were short, strange given we were almost the last people in the restaurant. We ordered the "piggy" fours with coffee, obviously low end shop sourced, for £8.50!!!!

The dinning room was lovely, but where we sat was distinctly draughty. Views are spectacular. So a disappointing experience.

Well, let's hope their lodging is adequate and comfortable.  We are staying at a different location, but of course part of the same group.