Noordam Alaska (August 6-20) Reflections

RD64

I recently finished a great B2B on the Noordam from Vancouver.

Overall great food, spotless ship, outstanding service everywhere, lots of live music. Only one or two small glitches. Rather than write an extensive review, I will be glad to answer any specific questions. I would do it again tomorrow without hesitation.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Wonderful to hear you had a great time on the Noordam.  We just booked a 14-day Alaskan trip on her for August 2024.

Thanks for sharing.

@disneyochem you will enjoy it. I am considering doing a 14 day again next year. It is such a hassle to fly to Vancouver from Eastern Canada that seven days is pointless. But, assuming you are going to be doing a 7 day back to back , get out and explore Whittier - the most random port but I enjoyed it so much. We even ended up by chance - at the Samoan Church service in the bunker accommodation building.

• Like 3

Do you recall if the food items in the buffet have common allergens listed? I read reports from the past that indicate they don’t. I’m hoping HAL is now more up to date in catering for allergies. I’m (reluctantly) on a GF diet. 

2 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

Do you recall if the food items in the buffet have common allergens listed? I read reports from the past that indicate they don’t. I’m hoping HAL is now more up to date in catering for allergies. I’m (reluctantly) on a GF diet. 

Sadly I can’t say that I do. However in the MDR they always asked if you had any allergies or food concerns.

That’s a shame. Listing allergens is common practice now for many reasons so I wonder why they’re behind on this.

We’re trying HAL after only ever having sailed Celebrity. For all the current criticism of Celebrity they handle food allergies really well. Nearly every dish at the buffet was labelled with allergens which made choosing really easy. No need to order ahead and there were plenty of choices,

We’re still very excited about our first HAL cruise to Alaska in 2025 though and who knows things may change before then. 

• Thanks 1

I am curious to know more about Whittier! We will be doing a 14 day collector on Noordam and have all day in Whittier. Not really interested in the lengthy glacier excursion and hoped to find enough places to visit in town. I know it is a small place, but so far I've jotted down a restaurant and a gift shop/ fudge/ candy place. Any suggestions? Just a good place to wander?

Just a good place to wander weather permitting - and some hiking. A few coffee shops, gift shops etc. take a walk through the pedestrian tunnel to the “bunker” that is what we called it - where the majority of the residents live. It also serves as a community centre, and there is a small museum. A lot of information available regarding the 1964 earthquake and tsunami. There is a small convenience store for things that you may need - or just some candy. It is run by the nicest Samoan woman, who kindly shared her family story with us. So nice to speak to a true local. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for you - it poured rain the entire day, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Because it is a long turn around day, I did venture out three times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few more questions!

- You've mentioned elsewhere how good the berries with goat cheese was, and also the sambal with orange peppers! Any other favourites that stand out?

- Any treats of note at the Explorations Cafe?

- Did you try any excursions? How were they?

2 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

A few more questions!

- You've mentioned elsewhere how good the berries with goat cheese was, and also the sambal with orange peppers! Any other favourites that stand out?

- Any treats of note at the Explorations Cafe?

- Did you try any excursions? How were they?

Pinnacle Burger in the Pinnacle Grill at lunch - the biggest and best burger I have ever had - wagyu beef cooked perfectly medium rare. I had to abandon the bun mid way through. Mind you it is my own fault because I overloaded on the fresh bread and my crab cakes, not expecting anything of that size to be put down in front of me.

Prime Rib - personally I have never liked it much, but ordered it one night (MDR) - a side of beef on a plate also cooked to medium rare perfection. Beef tenderloin and shrimp were another good option in the MDR. Anybody that says HAL is skimping on portion size needs to look at their plate again.

And it may not be to everyone’s liking but I enjoyed the reindeer sausage during breakfast at the Lido.

The only weak menu items (my opinion only) were the pastas in red sauce. Far too much sugar, and not enough tomatoes. The classic lasagna was a big no for me - arrived in a sea of bechamel sauce and I sent it back. Mind you I am biased because I am Italian, we make our own sauce, and this time of year tomatoes are fresh from the garden. HOWEVER - the crab carbonara is not to be missed - I had it both weeks.

Re Exploration treats, there was a variety of things - smaller selection than the Lido, but I discovered a “Sugar Bomb” a deep fried dough ball (about the size of six Timbits put together) coated in sugar and cinnamon. This was my kryptonite. No lies, I ate my way through Alaska.

During the Chocolate Extravaganza - waiters come around with trays of chocolate treats, but honestly I could just look. The crowd seemed to enjoy it very much, and there were quite a few Dutch treats like Ollie Bollen too.

Edited by RD64
Additional
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And for the gin drinkers out there, HAL has its own 150th anniversary gin “De Lijn”. If you are a gin drinker this is the one…sadly it was sold out in the gift shop by the second day, so none available to bring home.

23 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

They don't list the allergens in the buffet, but if you ask, they will tell you.  I have a serious food allergy and was able to manage it in the buffet by talking to the servers.

• Like 1

Last food suggestion - Dutch Pea Soup in Glacier Bay - served on all the open decks and I believe The Lido buffet.

You asked about shore excursions -I have done this trip twice before so didn’t do too many. In Skagway for sure take the 2.5 hour train excursion. I completely enjoyed it. Being a hearty Canadian, take the oppty to stand outside on the observation platform. I basically spent the entire time outside - I did find the train cars rather stifling. The views were incredible, but if you have a fear of heights you may be intimidated. In Juneau, we did one of the Glacier excursions - will check which one, but also recommended.

For those of you going northbound, the ship goes to College Fjord on the day preceding Whittier. This is late on the last afternoon before Whittier. I do not recall going here previously, and the views were incredible.

For anybody going on Noordam in the near future - ask to be seated whenever possible in the section of tables #110-125 or so. At the back of the MDR, right hand side, by the windows, best wait staff.

I will keep adding random thoughts as they come to me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RD64 said:

For anybody going on Noordam in the near future - ask to be seated whenever possible in the section of tables #110-125 or so. At the back of the MDR, right hand side, by the windows, best wait staff.

I will keep adding random thoughts as they come to me.

Thank you. We were in that section on the Zuiderdam on our first trip to Alaska year ago. Concur - window views were great,  when there is still light. Not so much for late fixed for our upcoming late Sept cruise, but who knows maybe that will be the best seat in the house to see Northern Lights? If only.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

We sailed on the Noordam northbound only just before you and had a fabulous cruise with our grandson.  Last year we did the same land/sea cruise with a granddaughter, also on the Noordam.

Hey Tim - slight off topic, but the mention of your Grands, got me curious for an update. Did Jakob and his sister compare cruise notes once he got unpacked? Are his friends impressed by his Jr Ranger accomplishment?

Thank you for posting!! Doing the Northbound (only, unfortunately) next week.  Will try and see Whittier, but I disembark there and will be catching train to Anchorage so not sure how much I will be able to do, especially if we have to transport our own luggage...But very excited to try your food and beverage suggestions. 

14 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Hey Tim - slight off topic, but the mention of your Grands, got me curious for an update. Did Jakob and his sister compare cruise notes once he got unpacked? Are his friends impressed by his Jr Ranger accomplishment?

They compared notes more to ascertain what each didn't do.  I don't think the Jr. Ranger was a big deal for his friends.  His sister was much more eager to complete it than Jakob was.  As grandparents we think its a great and simple program to engage the younger crowd in our National Parks.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 1:53 PM, RD64 said:

And for the gin drinkers out there, HAL has its own 150th anniversary gin “De Lijn”. If you are a gin drinker this is the one

Do you know if this is a limited time only thing? My husband is a gin guy so I'm sure he'd be thrilled to give it a try, but we won't be on HAL until June of next year.

Hi @RD64
just curious;  do you recall who the band was in the Rolling Stone Lounge?  There was a great band in May:  Amazing African American female lead singer from Texas and a Mexican male co-leader singer along with 5 other guitarists, keyboard and drummer.  I know their contract is probably up and they’re gone but just curious.  Also does anyone know how musician contracts work?  If they re-contract do they get assigned back on the same HAL ship or go where needed?

we sailing again on the Noordam next May.

1 hour ago, Thetideishigh2021 said:

Hi @RD64
just curious;  do you recall who the band was in the Rolling Stone Lounge?  There was a great band in May:  Amazing African American female lead singer from Texas and a Mexican male co-leader singer along with 5 other guitarists, keyboard and drummer.  I know their contract is probably up and they’re gone but just curious.  Also does anyone know how musician contracts work?  If they re-contract do they get assigned back on the same HAL ship or go where needed?

we sailing again on the Noordam next May.

I do not know the actual name of the band - but they were great. Any genre - any decade, they could do it all, often times better than the original performers. I am not a fan of country music, but I went both weeks.

There were two female leads- Indigo was the African American, and Jessica the other lead. Indigo did say that the band would be doing the world cruise, although I don’t know which ship.