Men's Formal Wear - black patent leather shoes

colingu

Ladies may wear hats at lunch, or even afternoon tea. However, in the evening no hats, only jewellery (tiara type).

At no time whatsoever, is it good manners for a man (Note: not gentleman) to wear a hat at any time indoors. The exception being the military or police on official duties, but "mess dress" has no hats.

With Cunard now having Gala "themes" there is the possibility that some will take it too far and, as BellBoy put it "drag out the dressing up box". That's fine for Hallowe'en night, but not for a black tie evening.

...and while we're on the subject, why do some men turn up wearing white silk scarves?

...and another daft addition is the ladies who wear fur stoles, even in summer.

A few years ago, on QM2, we saw a chap every day wearing a striped blazer and boater. Why?

Edited by BigMac1953
  • Like 2

Cunard should go back to Formal and Semi- Formal nights; that makes the dress code soooo much easier. Yes, men wearing white scarves are trying to look like NYC mob bosses. 
The only “cool” Theme Night seems to be White Ice for Alaska. In the Caribbean and Med, white dinner jackets look good. Everything else just distracts from formal wear and Cunard’s “Smart Attire” idea confuses the message from what most pax on Cunard expect from the onboard experience. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NE John said:

Cunard should go back to Formal and Semi- Formal nights; that makes the dress code soooo much easier. Yes, men wearing white scarves are trying to look like NYC mob bosses. 
The only “cool” Theme Night seems to be White Ice for Alaska. In the Caribbean and Med, white dinner jackets look good. Everything else just distracts from formal wear and Cunard’s “Smart Attire” idea confuses the message from what most pax on Cunard expect from the onboard experience. 

I think the black and white theme usually works pretty well, because it fits with roughly what people are probably going to wear anywhere. 

• Like 4

On 8/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, colingu said:

Any suggestions where to buy wide fitting black patent leather shoes?  I'm going on a 44 night cruise and want to complete the tuxedo with patent leather shoes. I'm usually a UK 12 wide, and I'm not having any luck finding shoes that fit- have tried several pairs up to size 14 and can't even get them on!!  Even slip-ons would do.

There's a very good website called Shuperb that may have some.  I have bought some Black Patent Cuban shoes for my husband from there.

On 8/29/2023 at 11:34 AM, colingu said:

Any suggestions where to buy wide fitting black patent leather shoes?  I'm going on a 44 night cruise and want to complete the tuxedo with patent leather shoes. I'm usually a UK 12 wide, and I'm not having any luck finding shoes that fit- have tried several pairs up to size 14 and can't even get them on!!  Even slip-ons would do.

Try CHARLES TYRWHITT - they do have sizes 13 & 14 patent leather shoes.

I've bought other shoes from them along with other clothing & have been very happy with the quality & customer service...

Good luck!

• Like 2

Husband wore new black leather shoes, not patent, which he could wear with trousers other nights to conserve luggage space (multi-day train traveling afterwards).  More comfortable and widely available in many sizes. They looked completely appropriate-I even didn’t notice he didn’t have patent on. 
I very much enjoyed the roaring 20s night, esp the ladies’ dresses. 

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, colingu said:

Have you tried Racing Green?

Nice shoes though a little heavy for ballroom dancing.

RacingGreenPatentshoes.jpg.6e3af469bd49191236cd34534dc4646b.jpg

Their website has an enquiry section which may help finding your wider fatten specification

16 hours ago, techteach said:

I really do not like patent leather shoes. They just remind me of high school proms. Light blue jackets, or the burgundy velvet, with ruffled shirt fronts. Those are best left unremembered.

Why spoil the ship for a ha’porth of tar?

I would never feel properly dressed on a formal night without both patent shoes and a cummerbund. But hey, each to our own.

QEChristmasTree.thumb.jpg.b12bb3e3d31aa350b403a7809ec9939d.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Why spoil the ship for a ha’porth of tar?

I would never feel properly dressed on a formal night without both patent shoes and a cummerbund. But hey, each to our own.

QEChristmasTree.thumb.jpg.b12bb3e3d31aa350b403a7809ec9939d.jpg

If anybody asks "WHAT HAPPENED TO CLASS"  all they have to do is see this picture of Solent Richard & his lovely Lady in RED...

You both look SPECTACULAR...and you certainly wear the clothes well!!!!

Bravo Solent Richard.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

If anybody asks "WHAT HAPPENED TO CLASS"  all they have to do is see this picture of Solent Richard & his lovely Lady in RED...

You both look SPECTACULAR...and you certainly wear the clothes well!!!!

Bravo Solent Richard.

How kind, it's not all that difficult. Thank you.