Beware Canadians Travelling to Egypt - New Process for Visa

CDNPolar

19 minutes ago, TeamCan said:

You are so organized! I haven't had a chance to google things that cannot be brought to Egypt. Cosmetics ?... weird.  I usually like to bring some pre-packaged snacks..granola bars, fruit bars for travel. I will have to google if that's ok.  OZ/NZ is very strict with foodstuff.. even pre-packaged stuff.. had a unopened small package of beef jerky.. I declared it under meat products on air arrival. They inspected the packaging on where it was made... USA.. so it was OK😆.   

Ha ha!  Not organized at all!  I’ve still lots of things to do to plan this trip!

I spotted the info on what you can’t bring into Egypt on the Canadian Foreign Affairs site.  I think it’s way down on the page that lists all the Egyptian dangers.

I wrote the Montreal consulate for clarification on allowed medications and what sort of documentation you need.

I’ll post if I get any useful information.

PS Has anyone seen the Toronto Star article about the Norwegian cruise ship that ran aground in Greenland?  The closest rescue boat is 2000 km away.  I would be sitting in a life boat with a large bottle of rum!

The captain is saying there’s no risk to the passengers, but they expect the ship to release with high tide.  Here’s hoping all goes well for the rescue.

Thanks for the info. You should see my call logs 😀.. Ive been emailing to no avail . The embassy replies the consulate no, and Im in Ontario so belong to the Consulate. No answer, or busy on both available lines.  Period. Live and learn. Another day and i will leave a message to the ambassador, maybe someone contacts me then..

Oh well at least its not snowing!!

20 minutes ago, Ospreyguy said:

Anybody having problems getting to the payment page for the Egypt evisa? I have 2 applications filled out in the draft section, received a conf.# but can’t get passed that or figure out where to go. Thanks in advance

It's a convoluted process, not really straight forward.  From what I remember: When you log back in, click on "DOWNLOAD DRAFT APPLICATION" and view your saved application, it is a pdf.  Review it very carefully to ensure that all your details are correct. If changes are needed, click on EDIT.  If everything is good, click on the CONFIRM button.  Do not click on the "SAVE/UPDATE APPLICANT" as that resets everything.  Instead click on the NEXT button, which takes you to the PAY screen.  Note that you might have to click on the + near the application reference number to open up the fields. You don't have to do everything at once, you can always log out and log back in anytime, to continue.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ospreyguy said:

Hello again, thanks for the help but after I look at the DOWNLOAD DRAFT APPLICATION, everything is good but the green CONFIRM button is not highlighted and I can’t get passed it to get to the payment page. Any ideas?

Try clicking on the NEXT button at the bottom right of the screen ...

Just want to point out that, to avoid difficulties in your eVisa application, enter all addresses with just single space separating the words and not commas. Also postal codes not allowed.  For Host I used the Cruise Line name, address, email, ph #, etc.  Also your passport image to be uploaded should be labelled with numbers and not words i.e. 1.jpg and not word.jpg.

Note that single entry cost is US$25 and valid for 90 days, whereas multiple entry is US$60 and good for 180 days.  You pay a little bit more, but I opted for the multiple entry visa to take advantage of the extended validity and avoid hassles with any new visa application as there might be a chance of  returning to Egypt early in the new year.

Current turn around is very fast.  We received email payment confirmation the next day after submission, and our eVisas later the same day.  However this could change with the large numbers of visa applications expected in the next few days.  I would not wait until the last moment to submit your application as you might run into difficulties, network problems, the site down for maintenance, etc (Murphy's Law).

• Like 1

LadyPubnico...we traveled to Egypt Feb 2022 with friends.  One of them is prescribed methadone for pain management and on a stable dose for many years.  Checking with the Egyptian consulate in Canada they were told this prescription is not allowed without prior written approval. They went through the process to get this approved (lengthy and expensive).  The letter they needed arrived at their home 2 days after they flew out.  When we arrived in Cairo they got their visa on arrival and went through passport control. No one checked or asked or anything about medications.  

Not sure if this is helpful or not but our friends did their due diligence regarding the banned medication and no one seemed to care or check once got there.  They knew there was a risk by not having it with them.  Egypt passport control couldn't have cared less; they looked so disinterested as we went through. 

Just our experience with Egypt and medication. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jack1 said:

LadyPubnico...we traveled to Egypt Feb 2022 with friends.  One of them is prescribed methadone for pain management and on a stable dose for many years.  Checking with the Egyptian consulate in Canada they were told this prescription is not allowed without prior written approval. They went through the process to get this approved (lengthy and expensive).  The letter they needed arrived at their home 2 days after they flew out.  When we arrived in Cairo they got their visa on arrival and went through passport control. No one checked or asked or anything about medications.  

Not sure if this is helpful or not but our friends did their due diligence regarding the banned medication and no one seemed to care or check once got there.  They knew there was a risk by not having it with them.  Egypt passport control couldn't have cared less; they looked so disinterested as we went through. 

Just our experience with Egypt and medication. 

Yes, but if they were stopped it could be much worse than the medication being confiscated; they could be charged with drug possession or even drug trafficking.

17 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Yes, but if they were stopped it could be much worse than the medication being confiscated; they could be charged with drug possession or even drug trafficking.

And that's why I said they knew the risk.

This post wasn't to discuss that it was to inform the process of getting permission.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information on the medications and customs.

I wrote to the Montreal Consulate a couple of days ago for clarification of “psychotropic medication”.  
No response so I’ll email the Embassy later today.

Although they fit within the definition, I can’t imagine that they’d be interested in medications for common mental health conditions:  depression, anxiety, OCD, etc. etc.

On 9/7/2023 at 12:24 PM, SparklyPinkCruiser said:

Update from Celebrity is good news (except for me who already applied for Visa!)

• A note for Canadian Guests: The 2023 changes regarding Canadians needing to apply for an Egyptian visa in advance applies only for entry by air. The authorities re-confirmed entry via cruise ships, for transit call purposes, guests can still apply for a 72-hour visa upon arrival as noted above.

I wouldn’t take what Celebrity told you as too dependable.  I also was told the same answer as yours by their agent a couple of days ago , but it turned out they were looking referring to a UK website on how cruisers  from countries such as U.K, Australia and Canada can apply the Egyptian 72 hour visa upon arrival at Egyptian port.  Apparently this website has not been updated to reflect the current situation singling out Canada .  Our cruise is not until Feb 2024 and we have only paid the deposit.    I am not taking any chance , I am cancelling this sailing and switch to a different sailing and destination 

On 9/7/2023 at 1:06 PM, travelordie said:

This is yet another example of how hopelessly behind Azamara is now that they have been sold to an investment company.  Celebrity and Seabourn are apparently aware of the latest developments as they apply to cruise ships.  Azamara is not.  For our upcoming October 27th Azamara cruise with stops in Egypt, Azamara has yet to inform us that e-visas will be void after October 1st.

2 minutes ago, Emptybucket said:

I wouldn’t take what Celebrity told you as too dependable.  I also was told the same answer as yours by their agent a couple of days ago , but it turned out they were looking referring to a UK website on how cruisers  from countries such as U.K, Australia and Canada can apply the Egyptian 72 hour visa upon arrival at Egyptian port.  Apparently this website has not been updated to reflect the current situation singling out Canada .  Our cruise is not until Feb 2024 and we have only paid the deposit.    I am not taking any chance , I am cancelling this sailing and switch to a different sailing and destination 

if you can wait, you might want to see how the first few cruises hitting Alexandria fair after 1-Oct to see what occurs on the ground ... it will be interesting to see

Hey Acadian Dad!  Yes indeed, it will be interesting to see what transpires on the ground.

Which east coast province are you from? I’m of Acadian descent on my mother’s side.  Nova Scotia, traceable back to the Lord and Lady of Pubnico, pre English settlement and pre-Expulsion.  I picked my Cruise Critic name when I was researching the family tree.

33 minutes ago, Emptybucket said:

Celebrity is NOT on top of the current situation re the Canadian requirement.  They have been providing me with incorrect and conflicting info every time I got in touch with them in recent days.  The last calls we exchanged were just today . 

Which is why I'm so happy to have my evisa secured. Well worth $50 USD.

18 minutes ago, Lady Pubnico said:

Hey Acadian Dad!  Yes indeed, it will be interesting to see what transpires on the ground.

Which east coast province are you from? I’m of Acadian descent on my mother’s side.  Nova Scotia, traceable back to the Lord and Lady of Pubnico, pre English settlement and pre-Expulsion.  I picked my Cruise Critic name when I was researching the family tree.

I suspected as much !  My father hails from Shediac. 👍🏻