Southampton - Holiday Inn vs Premiere Inn

Our family will be sailing from Southampton next June.  Previously DH and I have always stayed at HI, and found it fine.  In house bar and restaurant after long travel.  This time our DD and family will be with us and would appreciate input about Premiere Inn.  We have stayed at a PI at Heathrow and found it fine.  Any thoughts?

thank you,

MB

If you choose Premier Inn (spelling), make sure it's Premier Inn West Quay.

Nothing wrong with the city's other Premier Inns, but West Quay is the most convenient  for Southampton's restaurants, pubs, shops and sights, as well as some cruise terminals.

And if you choose Holiday Inn, make sure it's in Herbert Walker Avenue & not one of the H.I. Expresses which are out on the city limits.

P.I. West Quay is currently shrouded in scaffolding during building works - if your cruise is in the coming weeks it might be worth checking when those works are scheduled to finish.

H.I. and P.I. West Quay are only a two-minute walk apart, what's convenient from P.I. West Quay is almost as convenient  is convenient from H.I.

But H.I. is immediately adjacent the dock gate for City Cruise Terminal, rooms at the back look over the terminal and ship. That might sway your choice if your ship sails from City terminal (berth 101 on this link) https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

JB 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When cruising out of Southampton, we've always stayed at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker...It's great to wake up embarkation morning and see our ship docked virtually right outside our window, then make that incredibly short walk to baggage drop and check-in.

But there are also a few other hotels in the area.  Many on our upcoming July 2024 cruise have booked the Leonardo across the road...and there is also a "Moxy" hotel next to the Premier Inn...and two Ibis hotels and a Novotel on the other end of the West Quay shopping mall...and a Mercure and a Travelodge nearby.  We considered all of them for next July ...before booking, once more, the Holiday Inn...

Lots of shopping and restaurants within this same area...and it's a short walk into the more historic part of Southampton...So, any of these hotels work--assuming you like the hotel.

For this upcoming trip, we are spending our longest stay in Southampton--four nights.  We plan on wasting at least one day relaxing and recovering from the long flight from LA and the major time zone change...and another, taking the ferry across to the Isle of Wight and spending the day exploring there.  The Red Funnel (passenger ferry from Southampton to West Cowes) ferry pier is also a short walk from the HI.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:14 PM, Bruin Steve said:

When cruising out of Southampton, we've always stayed at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker...It's great to wake up embarkation morning and see our ship docked virtually right outside our window, then make that incredibly short walk to baggage drop and check-in.

But there are also a few other hotels in the area.  Many on our upcoming July 2024 cruise have booked the Leonardo across the road...and there is also a "Moxy" hotel next to the Premier Inn...and two Ibis hotels and a Novotel on the other end of the West Quay shopping mall...and a Mercure and a Travelodge nearby.  We considered all of them for next July ...before booking, once more, the Holiday Inn...

Lots of shopping and restaurants within this same area...and it's a short walk into the more historic part of Southampton...So, any of these hotels work--assuming you like the hotel.

For this upcoming trip, we are spending our longest stay in Southampton--four nights.  We plan on wasting at least one day relaxing and recovering from the long flight from LA and the major time zone change...and another, taking the ferry across to the Isle of Wight and spending the day exploring there.  The Red Funnel (passenger ferry from Southampton to West Cowes) ferry pier is also a short walk from the HI.

Quick question, since you have stayed at the HI on Herbert Walker before, HOW was the air conditioning ??  We are planning for June 2024.  

4 minutes ago, live2skide said:

Quick question, since you have stayed at the HI on Herbert Walker before, HOW was the air conditioning ??  We are planning for June 2024.  

I don't ever recall it being an issue and I've stayed there in the summer.  I cam't guarantee it works perfectly, but OTOH, if there had been a problem with it, I would have remembered.  I recall once, 20 years ago, staying in an alleged 4-star hotel in Paddington that had NO AC--the front desk lent us a small fan but it was like living in a sauna...and that one I remember to this day!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I don't ever recall it being an issue and I've stayed there in the summer.  I cam't guarantee it works perfectly, but OTOH, if there had been a problem with it, I would have remembered.  I recall once, 20 years ago, staying in an alleged 4-star hotel in Paddington that had NO AC--the front desk lent us a small fan but it was like living in a sauna...and that one I remember to this day!

THANKS -- I figured for someone from California that AC is always a concern and you would remember.  🙂 Appreciate the info.

On 9/2/2023 at 2:09 AM, Bloodgem said:

Premier Inn West Quay does not have it's own car park. You have to park on the Multi Storey car park, which is next to the hotel.

Not sure if that is true.  We recently went on a cruise with a young lady from London and she had arranged to leave her car behind the Premier Inn while on a 12 day cruise.  Check with the Inn to see if they will let you keep your car in their lot.

Barb

29 minutes ago, matamanoa said:

Not sure if that is true.  We recently went on a cruise with a young lady from London and she had arranged to leave her car behind the Premier Inn while on a 12 day cruise.  Check with the Inn to see if they will let you keep your car in their lot.

Barb

That'll be the multi-story mentioned by @Bloodgem

I think Premier Inn W.Q. (and now probably the new Moxy) get concessionary parking in the multi-storey.

P.I. West Quay goes have a small area directly behind the hotel (I suspect that's now shared with the Moxy) but that's just for registration & luggage-handling.

JB 🙂 

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

That'll be the multi-story mentioned by @Bloodgem

I think Premier Inn W.Q. (and now probably the new Moxy) get concessionary parking in the multi-storey.

P.I. West Quay goes have a small area directly behind the hotel (I suspect that's now shared with the Moxy) but that's just for registration & luggage-handling.

JB 🙂 

Good to know!