What happens if you don't do the online check-in?

iwtobek

Asking what happens if you don't do the online check-in because of course the MSC website glitches.

Just booked a last-minute MSC YC trip, we sail in 4 days and I would prefer not having to call MSC and mess-up with our reservation. For some reasons I could complete the check-in for my wife, she now has the “green tick” beneath her name, but no way I can complete mine.

Thanks for sharing, hope I'm not the first here!

They'll check you in, no Ryanair/Frontier-like charges, at the terminal. They'll take a photo of you there. Only draw back is that it'll take a little more time (which for 1 passenger is surely not a problem, but might become a problem if a shipload of passengers didn't check in online).

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:18 PM, sealynx said:

They'll check you in

Great, thanks!

no Ryanair/Frontier-like charges

Wait are you serious there are companies that charge a fee for… airport checkin?

They'll take a photo of you there.

Not sure I uploaded a picture this time. Maybe they remembered the one from the last cruise?

6 minutes ago, iwtobek said:

Wait are you serious there are companies that charge a fee for… airport checkin?

I think Ryanair charges 45 euro per person if you don’t do online checkin / print your own boarding pass. 

They have a whole schedule of “gotcha” charges in their small print to fleece the unaware with. 🤬

1 hour ago, iwtobek said:

Great, thanks!

Not sure I uploaded a picture this time. Maybe they remembered the one from the last cruise?

I uploaded pictures for both of my August cruises, but when I did the checkin for my December cruise they didn’t ask for a pic.  EM

Porters can provide handwritten luggage tags.

You get to check-in and they will take a picture, fill out the proper forms from the required proper identification/citizen proof  you provide them. 

On board you will need to register a payment method for your shipboard account. Credit Card or Cash, MSC has machines that will do that for you or get in line for the Purser, um I mean Customer Service. 

They won't make you walk the plank or sleep in a lifeboat if you do not check in online. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/5/2023 at 5:47 PM, iwtobek said:

Wait are you serious there are companies that charge a fee for… airport checkin

Are you serious that you live in France? 😉

Almost all European airlines charge a brutal fee for airport checkin for many many years already. This would not be a problem, but sometimes it is because the window for the free online checkin is so tight, for example it opens only 24 hours before the flight and closes 2 hours before. People got used to it. 

2 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Almost all European airlines charge a brutal fee for airport checkin for many many years already.

A little hyperbolic...

Two of the low-cost airlines do this, Ryanair & Wizz Air, the others do not. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Two of the low-cost airlines do this, Ryanair & Wizz Air, the others do not. 

Easyjet, Eurowings, TUI, ..., actually I did not have a continental flight in Europe where I was not forced to check in online for many years. Except on flight with TAP. But in January I have another one, that is Vueling. 

When I fly intercontinental Asia/Europe it is different.