Live From The Carnival Freedom: Crossing the Atlantic for a New Whale Tail

jam19872016

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Did any staff give you a hard time about pouring out of your "mobile bar"? I had made mimosas in my mom and my Carnival tumblers and took them to Sea Day brunch.  Our waiter took our order and then said "brought your own drinks?" with a bit of a side-eye.  I said yes and he smiled and moved on.  I felt a little nervous after that.

I had no problems. I think it's a little less frowned on than a regular restaurant. Beats walking around with the bottle 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, rizkeeper said:

what's the deal with the whale tail?  Is it getting a new yellow and blue funnel or a new whale tail?

I'm not sure if the whole thing needs to be replaced or just the part that burned off. If they don't replace the entire thing I am sure it will be repainted.

• Like 2

Did some walking around near the hotel. It definitely gets no points for surroundings.  Nothing here and doesn't have a European vibe at all. 

20231004_113640.thumb.jpg.2a793d19f5c7697f1375a790a4454fff.jpg

20231004_120215.thumb.jpg.6e7adae9f948265fb9b1530a137b1e08.jpg

20231004_120344.thumb.jpg.f8b9c9895c3561fa5cb12c8817033a11.jpg

20231004_121624.thumb.jpg.c3ff32c4eb7ede1793c61b283bf6ccaf.jpg

I was hoping to find somewhere for dinner but the small strip of restaurants across from the hotel all close for dinner.

I'm just going to eat at the hotel restaurant. Hopefully the foods good and a decent value. You really never know with hotel restaurants but there is literally nothing else open within walking distance. 

• Like 6

I'm thinking that in Spain people traditionally have a siesta after late lunch, then have evening meal as late as 10pm. (This is not based on personal experience.) It maybe would explain why restaurants would be closed around five or six pm. Obviously, hotels and tourist hot spots maybe would cater to westerners and other tourists.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

I'm thinking that in Spain people traditionally have a siesta after late lunch, then have evening meal as late as 10pm. (This is not based on personal experience.) It maybe would explain why restaurants would be closed around five or six pm. Obviously, hotels and tourist hot spots maybe would cater to westerners and other tourists.

I checked on Google, they don't reopen until morning. Very strange but it's mainly businesses around here so maybe they cater to them and can't do enough business at night to stay open. This is the only hotel I see and see no residential areas, but it is just off the highway.

• Like 2

Dinner was good but did not check the value box. I was offered a choice of paying in euros or USD so I chose USD. I was charged a service fee for doing so so I may just do Euro next time, I am not sure but I don't think I pay a fee. I'll have to check. I know I don't pay an international fee, but not sure about a conversion fee.

I am going to do my intermittent fasting so won't be eating again for 16 hours. I need to try and get some of this weight off before I start up again.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

Dinner was good but did not check the value box. I was offered a choice of paying in euros or USD so I chose USD. I was charged a service fee for doing so so I may just do Euro next time, I am not sure but I don't think I pay a fee. I'll have to check. I know I don't pay an international fee, but not sure about a conversion fee.

Always pick the currency of the country you are in.  You will get a better rate when it posts on your credit card. No international fee means they do not charge when it gets converted back to USD by the cc/bank. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, maluhia87 said:

Always pick the currency of the country you are in.  You will get a better rate when it posts on your credit card. No international fee means they do not charge when it gets converted back to USD by the cc/bank. 

Good to know. I will make sure I do Euros next time.

• Like 3

Still not sure what I'm doing tomorrow. I really failed with my location. I need to figure out the logistics of how I can get to a central location from here. Google maps is very handy for that but I will put that off until tomorrow since I still have four days to explore, I am not too pressed for time.

Going to try to sleep now with no fan but the temp is nice and I have a fan sound playing on my phone so maybe I can trick my body into thinking everything is normal. Good night.

• Like 9

17 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I won't be as live until the return crossing but I'll have a few daily updates while in Europe and on Cunard.

John, you know what I want when you board the Queen Elizabeth.  Well, maybe you don't.   A picture of the Fun 21 table please!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Did some walking around near the hotel. It definitely gets no points for surroundings.  Nothing here and doesn't have a European vibe at all. 

20231004_113640.thumb.jpg.2a793d19f5c7697f1375a790a4454fff.jpg

20231004_120215.thumb.jpg.6e7adae9f948265fb9b1530a137b1e08.jpg

20231004_120344.thumb.jpg.f8b9c9895c3561fa5cb12c8817033a11.jpg

20231004_121624.thumb.jpg.c3ff32c4eb7ede1793c61b283bf6ccaf.jpg

I was hoping to find somewhere for dinner but the small strip of restaurants across from the hotel all close for dinner.

I'm just going to eat at the hotel restaurant. Hopefully the foods good and a decent value. You really never know with hotel restaurants but there is literally nothing else open within walking distance. 

The airport in Barcelona is quite a ways out from the city and associated stuff to do.  Its too bad you couldn't get a decent rate closer to town.

Edited by Petersonfcu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, happicruzer said:

Ask at the front desk for a plug that will work with your fan. 

My fan is not compatible with the voltage level used. I have the adapter so that I can plug in but the voltage level coming out would fry it.

10 hours ago, Petersonfcu said:

John, you know what I want when you board the Queen Elizabeth.  Well, maybe you don't.   A picture of the Fun 21 table please!!

Thanks for the reminder I admit I totally forgot after all this time 😆

10 hours ago, Petersonfcu said:

The airport in Barcelona is quite a ways out from the city and associated stuff to do.  Its too bad you couldn't get a decent rate closer to town.

Lesson learned. Hotel prices here came with a bit of sticker shock.

• Like 3

Barcelona looks like a bust for me. I can't seem to navigate my way by public transit without multiple transfers that I don't feel confident about being able to follow on my own.

I may ask at the front desk for some tips in case there is something I am not thinking of. They do offer an airport shuttle, perhaps from the airport I can find a direct route. 

Of course I could taxi in and out of the city, but I am trying to keep costs down which is of course how I ended up in the middle of nowhere to begin with.

The extent of my sightseeing today was a walk to the closest supermarket for some groceries. It took us through a local neighborhood so I did get a little sight of local culture.

I'm disappointed but not too upset, the most important paet of this trip is the opportunity to travel with my mom and that piece is achieved. Sightseeing would be a bonus.

• Like 18

also what is your height and age range?  we seem to have the same weight fights.  You are correct, for me its 100% about diet vs activity.  I dropped from 355 to 335 in two months changing diet (a little) and walk/running daily...but for the last 5 months I've bounce from 330 - 337 weekly.  I'll need to significantly change my diet to break the 330 level (i'm 6'1" in mid 40s).  I have 45 days until my cruise, was hoping to be under 220, but this 5 month stall in weight loss has been a killer.  I've been lifting weights too during this time, so some of the weight may be fat to muscle...  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Barcelona looks like a bust for me. I can't seem to navigate my way by public transit without multiple transfers that I don't feel confident about being able to follow on my own.

I may ask at the front desk for some tips in case there is something I am not thinking of. They do offer an airport shuttle, perhaps from the airport I can find a direct route. 

Of course I could taxi in and out of the city, but I am trying to keep costs down which is of course how I ended up in the middle of nowhere to begin with.

The extent of my sightseeing today was a walk to the closest supermarket for some groceries. It took us through a local neighborhood so I did get a little sight of local culture.

I'm disappointed but not too upset, the most important paet of this trip is the opportunity to travel with my mom and that piece is achieved. Sightseeing would be a bonus.

Maybe you can pick a day to get transportation and get "out" - find something you want to see or do and take Mom out for the day.

• Like 2

If it looks difficult and expensive to get into Barcelona you could ask the hotel reception about options for Sitges? It's a smaller seaside town which locals from Barcelona go to - about 25mins drive from the airport, so closer than getting into central Barcelona 

• Like 3