P&O Encounter Poop Issues

Hearing from friends they have disembarked in Cairns from P&O Encounter due to a burst sewage pipe outside their cabin. Sewage has flooded the passageway and the surrounding rooms. No cabins available to move to and P&O have not sorted the issue which obviously is a serious health & safety issue and so passengers felt they had no option but to leave the ship.

I read an online article yesterday about a Delta airlines flight from Atlanta to Barcelona that had to turn around due to a poor passenger having extreme diarrhoea.  That was a health & safety issue too.

Sorry the sewerage issue happened to your friends.  Hope they get well compensated.

Wouldn't that give you the sh!ps.

Not convinced about a burst pipe, as steel pipes don't tend to do that. Blockages cause back-ups and overflows which are bad enough, and while fixed relatively quickly, carpets don't recover so quickly.

I hope P&O is compensating them for their inconvenience.

Seriously, I feel very sorry for those people who had no option but to disembark. And I'll be very interested to know what compensation P&O offered/will offer. A full refund and a future cruise credit would be fair. Also transportation back to Brisbane. We'll see.

Brace for a new wave of P&O haters on the review websites.

You're probably right, Geoff. A blockage seems far more likely and seems to be a common occurrence mostly due to pax putting things down the toilet they shouldn't. People just seem to ignore the signage. I find it really difficult to get my head around that. Plumbers on land tell you that the only things that should go down any toilet are what nature intended and a modest amount of toilet paper! Why should a ship be any different?  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Seriously, I feel very sorry for those people who had no option but to disembark. And I'll be very interested to know what compensation P&O offered/will offer. A full refund and a future cruise credit would be fair. Also transportation back to Brisbane. We'll see.

Brace for a new wave of P&O haters on the review websites.

You're probably right, Geoff. A blockage seems far more likely and seems to be a common occurrence mostly due to pax putting things down the toilet they shouldn't. People just seem to ignore the signage. I find it really difficult to get my head around that. Plumbers on land tell you that the only things that should go down any toilet are what nature intended and a modest amount of toilet paper! Why should a ship be any different?  

Exactly, and you have got to feel for those whose cruise was ruined.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not convinced about a burst pipe, as steel pipes don't tend to do that.

The piping in vacuum toilet systems, and even the gray water gravity drain pipes are very thin steel (it's actually thin wall tubing, since there is no pressure).  Personally, my experience has been that gray water pipes start leaking years before vacuum pipes do.  Vacuum pipes tend to telegraph their imminent failure by losing vacuum through pinholes.

So, while neither is acceptable, gray water is less nasty than black water from the toilets.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1